REVISION 38C NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BUILD

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, May 13, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Lots of fun stuff here, including a Fishpeople Oevrhaul (that is a lot of fun).

Changes:

• FIXED: the invisible shadows of stacked objects will render after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: construction costs for buildings do not increment after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: cannot demolish buildings after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: items occasionally turn blue
    • FIXED: crash bug when occasionally placing a module with SHIFT-CLICK mode
    • FIXED: memory leaks in events
    • mood icon now correctly displays character's mood in character info panel
    • added "morale" and "sanity" icons to character info panel
    • moved a bunch of container and stack code to C++ from Lua (perfomance should be improved)
    • containers and stacks can now be merged by characters
    • autosave now alternates between two files (stability improvement)
    • rewrote the code for handling jobs in assignments: we now actually store the jobs that are being done on an assignment on the assignment object, rather than just trying to add or subtract them. Consequently, this means that the bookkeeping of such jobs is accurate. The hope is that this fixes the bug where people will get stuck in an assignment, but we'll see. (At the very least, it should give us more information.)
    • music now fades out Discovery/Productivity Tracks at night (Battle, Tragedy and Insanity are still things that can happen at night.)
    • FIXED: "remove spoiled crops" now correctly given lower priority than "tend crops".
    • FIXED: Corpses still wanted to be buried even after they were chopped up & eaten
    • FIXED: hunger/tiredness values in gossip topic calculation
    • FIXED: error in upper class sympathy event
    • FIXED: errors in ministry investigation event tree
    • FIXED: long reload anim wasn't properly set on militia
    • fixed minor typo in a hunger memory
    • added "Suck up to superior" job
    • added "Cower inside" job
    • added "Sleep due to sadness" job
    • added "Drink due to sadness" job
    • fixed lots of memory icons
    • accepting criminal goods may trigger an investigation
    • "Doomed" characters now much more doomed
    • minor fixes to Vicar jobs
    Fishpeople overhaul + new content (in-progress):

• official policy toward fishpeople can be set in response to interaction events/crises
    • fishpeople now spawn in groups with goals/missions that they will attempt to fulfill (lots of infrastructure done for this)
    • fishpeople & colonists can interact in various peaceful ways if policy is friendly (note: this is far from feature complete)
    • colonists can attempt to non-violently intimidate fishpeople (and vice versa)
    • added fishpeople scout mission/event
    • added fishpeople beach patrol mission/event
    • added fishpeople friendly envoy mission/event
    • added fishpeople property destruction policy event
    • added fishpeople hassling crisis event
    • added fishpeople vandalism crisis event
    • added fishpeople assault crisis event
    • fishpeople combat logic improved
    • balance: replaced fishpeople in tropics w/ Deathwurms (note: deathwurm attack anim needs tweaking)
    • balance: boosted hp and aggressiveness of Deathwurms

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Just casually dropping these last two lines at the end of the patch notes, eh?

Tremors-l.jpg

3. Nicholas

Eh, not a big deal really.

4. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight

5. Now that there's Deathwurms I'm really hoping some Dune references start turning up.

6. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

Ah, finally! Doomed characters are much more doomed. See, I was thinking that the DoomLogic of the Infernal Machinations Engine weren't quite on par with how much doom I was expected. Our doom output was low, really. Good thing this oversight has been fixed.

Also great to see the Deathwurms! I was wondering when they'd show up. Interesting interactions with them - are they classed as animals? People allowed to butcher butcher them without waiting for the order to do so, whereas with.. sentient creatures you have to give the order. Is this entirely intentional? I'm not sure the raw steaks produced by something called a "Deathwurm" really is all that wholesome.

Also? Peaceful FISHMEN?! What new fangled century is this!? Fish-people that daren't attack immediately? I'm overcome with a sudden sensation of technological alienation! This can't be the Clockwork Empires I've been interestedly followed for year(s) now, because in that game the fish-people were always a constant source of endless attacks. Are you expecting me to actually watch them just... wander about? That's uncanny, that is. Uncanny! Absolutely dreadful. It's like it's some kind of simulation and not a game about playing endless fishpeople meatgrinder? I want a refund. I was promised completely unreasoning monsters constantly swarming with no parlay or peace, and this isn't it.

(Capital, a++, would buy again, nice to see things shaping up)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  7. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Crash #1, happened on autosave.

Attached Files:

8. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I can best describe my first hour of r38c in story form:

"I heard rumours of the newly-discovered Deathwurm skulking in the jungles of New Sogwood - I resolved to form an expedition to establish a colony there. After completing my initial head-count, I realized the Ministry had assigned two NCO's to my party, rather than the usual single soldier. Clerical error, or ominous foreshadowing?

It was not long before we found our first live Deathwurm. And then another. And then three more. My brave soldiers gave their all, defending the others to the best of their ability, but they were both soon so wounded they could no longer fight, and Wurms were running rampant through town. My colony saw heavy losses which completely overshadowed the trickle of new immigrants, the end result of which was that we were eventually down to our last four colonists, all conscripted into the makeshift Militia. They spent a lot of time shifting corpses out of city limits.

It was then that we had our first encounter with the indigenous Fishmen - we were in no position to fight, so we adopted a position of cautious non-aggression. We even tolerated their destruction of our first maize crop, apparently done just for fun. I think we finally wiped out the last of the Deathwurms, because we didn't see any more until we began travelling farther afield for stone and timber.

A tense moment occured when a gang (a school?) of fishmen walked purposefully through the middle of town - I was ready to pull the trigger, but they outnumbered the colonists, so patience won out. It turns out their intentions were (sort of) friendly - they just wanted to get to the pile of human corpses on the other side of town, to butcher the previous colonists for food.

The colony gradually recovered, and try not to tell the new immigrants what happened in the early days. I may have made a mistake cooking up a bunch of Long Pork when food supplies were low, because several colonists have just gone flat out insane."

Additional bullet points!
    • I really like all the addition temperament information in the colonist information window - emotional state, morale, and sanity
    • the new fishman policy options are awesome, I'm really interested in exploring all of them
    • as noted above, even a small number of deathwurms will rapidly incapacitate all of a colony's starting soldiers - my solution was to make my entire landing party militia, until we could exterminate them
    • colonists do not appear to recognize raw Bushels of Maize as food?

dbaumgart and Unforked like this.
  9. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

It appears that my NCO's are not eating. They just wander around until they starve to death.

Attached Files:

10. Yea I have the same problem as Drumhead above.

Military units seem much more prone to "freezing" whereby they are stuck in place repeating the walking or running animation. When they freeze like this they don't eat or react to ANY stimulus except I've noticed sometimes alarms break them out of their stupor. It's not just the colonists either - I have noticed this bug a lot with fishmen who are also freezing about the place.

11. Wolg

Wolg Member

Seems that shift-doubleclick while placing modules will put the same module down twice in the same spot... should probably place one and then trigger the move/delete box on the second click (or the second shift-click does nothing but plays a "can't do that" sound).

12. Geokinesis

Geokinesis Member

I am having the people not eating and just wandering round.

Every colonist I've had like this has had their current task stuck as 'Drop Item'.

13. Nicholas

(Fixed: people being stuck in drop item.)

Military units being frozen in place has been around since at least revision 37. It's on my TODO to look at and rejigger, but there's a bunch of stuff that has piled up before that. Since people getting stuck returning to civilization seems to affect lots of people, I will endeavour to prioritize that.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Geokinesis likes this.
  14. Ghin

Ghin Member

Yesssss finally a peaceful solution to fishmen other than indiscriminate murder! Guess I won't be doing any work today.

15. Wolg

Wolg Member

Uh... weird. Game ran fine last night, now every attempt to start a game on temperate dies with 0xc0000005 before loading finishes. Deleted config, revalidated, no difference. Nicholas?

Attached Files:

16. Stuthulhu

Stuthulhu Member

For what it's worth, it seems much more pronounced with this revision. Lots of stuck 'responding to alarm.' I don't know if that gives you any hints, but I feel like something in 38C must have touched on this behavior. On the bright side, the new fishy behavior so far has made it survivable, since not everyone wants to kill me!

Tarod likes this.
  17. Unforked

Unforked Member

Also my experience. I've never had so many soldiers get permanently stuck in the previous few builds.

Tarod likes this.
  18. Nicholas

Military behaviour cleanup in progress...

19. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

I do seem to see a increase in the stuck dropping item, Military getting stuck running in spot do seem about the same as in the B version, But I do seem to have more crashes in this version, much more. added last save, and console. oh, I do have a lot of crashes happend when saving.

Attached Files:

20. I decided to take another look at the game since it's been months since I last checked it out. It's come a long way since I last loaded it up and I'm pretty impressed. It runs at a consistent 60 fps for me and the social interactions and slower beginning add a lot to the beginning experience. Unfortunately it crashed on the very first autosave and I didn't get to see any of the new events that have been thrown in...

Attached Files: