REVISION 38A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Lots of new code here:

• Containers and stacking: stacks can now be created, and colonists will attempt to move things into stacks and then organize their stacks in stockpiles. Colonists will now also produce stacks of goods as the output of some workshop processes
    • FIXED: can demolish the same house multiple times
    • FIXED: removal of factions from UI now works
    • removed water vertical motion (for now, ominously)
    • UI: added highlight showing currently displayed faction to Factions Menu
    • FIXED: labourers in costume cannot be selected (that is to say, they can now be selected)
    • rewrote all friendship and rivalry-ship code to be stored in C++; added new requirements for checking if somebody is a friend or rival before doing something to them (enables lots of new (anti)social behaviours)
    • Characters now use walk animations appropriate to their mood
    • doubled output for cooked food based on farmed or foraged ingredients
    • tripled output for cooked food based on hunted ingredients
    • Brick making should actually make a bunch of bricks because wow, did we ever need a lot of them.
    • Fixed some memories not showing up correctly on bandits who converted to your colony
    • Day-night music transition will now start when the visual transition starts instead of when it ends
    • Fixed some capitalization issues (linux compatibility)
    • FIXED: Incredibly generous bandits have been taught how to be greedy and will no longer give you their stuff every 8 seconds
    • Added several new social jobs that allow characters to interact with each other (slap someone else, hug, etc)
    • surface mining jobs are now one job rather than two
    • FIXED error in "bandit wants to join colony"
    • FIXED some broken cult behaviour
    • added first iteration of a new hunger system aka "the cascading cannibalism decision tree"

KillerKidClever and Samut like this.
  2. Unforked

Unforked Member

Quick impressions from a ten day game:

Love everything so far!

-The stacking seems to be working well, sometimes I don't even realize it's happening until I hover over a commodity and it shows the number of items in a stack. Much less clutter.

-Those walk animations are hilarious and wonderful. The Happy Strut is my personal favorite.

-I'm getting quite a bit more lag than usual when colonists are attacked. They freeze in place then teleport a few squares away.

3. Wolg

Wolg Member

("Lagaporting" in combat was evident in r38 vanilla, rather than new to 38A.)

4. Unforked

Unforked Member

True, but it feels more frequent to me in 38A. I haven't played it much yet, it could just be in my head.

5. Samut

Samut Member

Paintings throw an error upon completion:

2015-04-25_00001.jpg

6. Samut

Samut Member

Just wanted to add that 38A looks good overall.

Attacking Fishpeople ran into town in a line, although they did then split up.

Stacks are great, but will they look any different than a single item? Hopefully we'll see them get bigger as they grow.

Also, are colonists supposed to be able to lift stacks? I had a guy carry a stack of three logs to a stockpile, and then a builder carried them to a shop under construction, but one at a time. If it's planned at all, this would be a good time to introduce a weight system for items.

As always, thanks for plugging away at the new build.

Files attached in case they're of any help.

Attached Files:

7. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

I paused the game, made a stockpile, disabled Food, unpaused. Colonists immediately carry a 3Stack of raw Dodo and a 2stack of raw Black Fungus to the stockpile. Do the filters not affect stacks? Occasionally I will see *one* wrong item in a stockpile.

Also had a fishman chasing a colonist, soldier shot fishman twice and pulled aggro, then stopped shooting to pick up a stack of Fungus and carry it around while getting melee'd to death <_<

8. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I have a question about containers and stacking - they appear to be working reasonably well - stuff gets stored in stacks, which means stockpiles can occupy less surface area, which is nice. My question is this: can things be transported in container form? e.g. a Lower Class House requires 10 logs, are colonists able to carry an entire stack of logs (say, 4) in one trip? Either I haven't been observing closely enough, or it's not happening.

9. Nicholas

Stacks do not currently respect stockpile filters, no. Colonists can lift stacks and then take them to a stockpile because the job is on the stack - colonists are not quite yet smart enough to try and drop stacks off at a building site, and I still haven't figured out precisely how I'm going to implement that yet.

10. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

Okay. Love the new changes, especially to food. But I do have a couple issues. One is that the cults are throwing up script errors all over the place. Especially when the leader dies, theres one for that. Then something about Rumors throwing up an error having to do with cults. Also... I am OVERRUN with Cabbage now. One farm, over 100 bowls of cabbage stew and over 500 cabbage in stockpiles. I now have 3 stockpiles going just to keep up with the amount. Meanwhile, I cant keep wheat long to save my life cause beer and bread making are insatiable. The other thing is LAG. LAG LAG LAG. I have over 100 people in my little colony and they are stumbling over each other. Also, the sleeping arrangements tend to drive me batty. When I build a new building, they all sleep in there no matter where they are located. They all pile into the kitchen if I build a kitchen, and then if I build another building, they pile into that one. And on it goes. I have yet to have a crash and Im just at day 41 so thats a plus. The worst thing I have to say is the burial orders. I cant cancel them and when the fishpeople slaughter the corpses, the job stays there forever. I think that contributes to the lag a bit. Hope thats enough of my whining. lol On to see how far I can push this til the game dies on me. I believe these are the right files you need. :D

Attached Files:

11. berkstin

berkstin Member

Overall great improvements with this build but on Mac OSX, it seems to get crashy around day 10-12, so I start saving every few minutes. I don't notice any specific actions that are triggering the crashes - sometimes I'll get through a rampaging pack of 12 fishpeople and then it'll crap out when nothing much at all is going on.

Also having the sleeping issue - I build a few buildings first, then a low class bunkhouse and then a middle class house. The bunkhouse gets finished and NO ONE goes in, even though it's start of nighttime and at least half the colony are LC. Instead they all gather around the food stockpile and their job status is 'sleep (indoors)' even though they are standing up. As soon as the MC house was finished they ALL piled into it and went to sleep.

12. Nicholas

The lag is a known issue with the containers code, although - yikes!, 100 colonists! That could take some general optimization.

I'll have a look at the sleeping arrangements.

13. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

As i cant seem to screenshot, i had to take these with my phone to show what i mean. My poor people are so lost in the world. Lol Also, to note that thats not even halfway down the job list and the rest are literally just a few hunt jobs and a TON of burial ones. O_O Phew! lol
    20150425_205317.jpg 20150425_205526.jpg

14. Samut

Samut Member

I think I have the fix for this one.

In painting.go, for line 21, change

receive ModuleSetCreator (gameObjectHandle creator, string firstName, string lastName )

to

receive ModuleSetCreator (gameObjectHandle creator, string name )

and in line 60, change

state.paintingDescription = "This is " .. possiblePaintingDescriptions[rand(1,#possiblePaintingDescriptions)] .. " by " .. firstName .. " " .. lastName .. "."

to

state.paintingDescription = "This is " .. possiblePaintingDescriptions[rand(1,#possiblePaintingDescriptions)] .. " by " .. name .. "."

I haven't gone back through a fresh game from scratch to confirm, but I resumed my earlier saved game after making these changes, and a second painting that had yet to be completed was built successfully (see screenshot).

2015-04-25_00004.jpg

15. Nicholas

CTRL-G will take a screenshot as a.BMP - but I'm not totally sure where it puts it on a Steam build.

16. Alephred

When you take an in-game screenshot with CTRL-G, the .bmp file gets stored in the install directory of Steam. Mine is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Clockwork Empires\shots

17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Argh, ugh, thanks for the report! Will get those fixed up for the next release. (Logged as OC-3218 )

Sleep behaviour is getting an iteration for the next experimental release, so ... things will act just a little differently. Colonists will still sleep on the floor if there are no alternatives, but they'll be a bit more choosy about ending up in that state. You'll see!

Fixed it! Thanks.

18. Alephred

[r38a]

I had enough time to play 38a and reflect on changes and balance and stuff. I got up to Day 29 with 62 colonists (save files attached), and almost everything built.
    • stacks of things save a bunch of storage space, but this is balanced by the increased production of every workshop
    • net result is approximately the same area devoted to storage, containing many more resources that previously
    • the different walk animations are great; a very useful way to determine a colonist's emotional state
    • two full-size farm plots and a kitchen are sufficient to feed a colony of 50-60 colonists now; I'd struggled to feed 40 colonists with 5 farms in the previous revision
    • I saw no hints whatsoever of cult activity or clawbulb growth (granted, everyone was very happy)
    • after the early game, increased production means that most of the favour options feel superfluous
    • clicking on an airship mast to de-activate / dismantle it spawns the command wheel back at the initial landing site, which might be off-screen or very far away
    • fishman 'reverse clown car' behaviour is still evident
    • 'Burial Duties' conga line of death still occasionally manifest
    • retreating behaviour seems to break when fishmen are adjacent, causing colonists to stand motionless while they're killed
    Conga!

conga.jpg

Overview

38a.jpg

Attached Files:

Turbo164 likes this.
  19. Wolg

Wolg Member

Breaking news: an upper class colonist did something useful.

useful.png

useful-memory.png

In other news, perhaps further Education will persuade Villainous Individuals to give up lives of Perfidious Banditry, once their grammar achieves socially acceptable levels.

they-was.png

Bureaucrats take note: the efficacy of laudanum at helping your colonists forget their troubles, if over-applied, can similarly affect sentence construction:

laudanum-pronoun.png

20. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

I have a vague memory of having a colonist who was stuck in one spot and starving and it said "They is hungry" or something to that effect. :D I thought it was a little funny. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.