REVISION 38 NOW POSTED TO MAIN STEAM BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Thank you so much for making overseers flatten terrain, guys -- that and stockpiles have been my primary issues with CE.

Just a couple from the first quick playthrough that I don't recall seeing previously...
    • If you flatten red-grid terrain right next to a farm, it breaks the fix for ensuring farms render their zone decal above the ground.
    • Colonists who die create a burial duties job, but this job doesn't appear to get removed if the corpse is fish-butchered to long pork first.

3. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

Good stuff. Encountered interesting error-nexus where 4 NCOs with a total of 7 soldiers all refused to fire upon 2 fishmen, prefering instead to "rally", "retreat", "idle" or continually picking and dropping timber. The soldiers and NCO's died of one by one as the rest of the colony panicked. Got reinforcement NCO despite having 2 left (NCO check doesn't seem to take account of Prestige-bought squads of soldiers). She died too. I read a book while watching the havoc, amused. Will have console and save up later.

Cthulhu_Awaits likes this.
  4. Wolg

Wolg Member

The colonist preference for eating raw wheat over everything else has reached epidemic proportions. Fungus, fish steaks, bread all available and nearby... straight for the bags they seem to go every time.

5. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

^^ as well as ignoring cooked stews over raw cabbage/pumpkin. Mearly random chance they go for either.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  6. Wolg

Wolg Member

I need to recheck farming in depth now overseers getting better at it is supposed to reduce work time.

7. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

NCO's are in need of improvement. Being that they only want to use pistol, they always end up out front and get gernaded and/or pummeled. That and they'll be the first to run away from a single enemy, but then dive head first into a dozen of em.

***when a soldier/NCO gets attacked by a fishperson, it's pretty much immediate that they get 3 Not-good memories from a single encounter. (saw one, saw an ugly one, saw something terrible, got attacked by one) along those lines. Kinda like getting fined 3 times for the same speeding ticket... Would like to see "fought off an attack" positive. "killed/chased off without getting hit" positive.
    I think as a soldier, they shouldn't become So squimish from an encounter. I could see a negative of "got pummeled by one" or "barely survived an encounter"

Perhaps a timeframe of 3 to 4 days as well for memories.

how about a phychiatric chair in the chaple?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  8. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

So I tried it... NCO's as overseers work well if you want gabians constructed right away and if you have general cleanup to do. They don't do well with workshop assignments/farming/wc/mining
    overseers as NCO's held their own pretty well

Military issues:
    half my soldiers would rather run around with shovels then pick up the guns in stockpiles or raided from bandit camps
    (not sure if this is because they are out of ammo or what, but at least grab a gun you can smack the fishpeople with... hell, let em smack them with the shovels : ) )
    Had to raid bandit camps to get any guns or ammo, metalshop was taking way too long.
    Fishpeople (wave) attacks -- They run up to a point outside of the village "area" if you start away from initial starting spot and do not attack the population until they are... Lured or stumbled on. Having defenses up doesn't help if you have to send your 7 troops into a pile of 14 fishpeople.
    ---- however conscripting a single overseer and sending him out, then having him run back in behind the walls... 50/50 he makes it and the soldiers behind the walls can fire at will.
    (replay-from day 10-end)

Attached Files:

9. Wolg

Wolg Member

• Anybody else seeing hauling get prioritised higher than planting new crops? (Just had 8 new farms get ignored in favour of moving 100 logs -- and the resulting forge-because-starving jobs.)
    • (Huh. Immigration wave with a footsoldier landed on top of a wandering fish. Soldier grabbed a nearby gun and fought off the attack, but might have set some sort of record by going insane within two seconds of arriving in the colony. :resist_existential:)
    • Seems every time I accept a bandit truce offer, the bandits break it almost immediately afterwards...

10. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

Alright, all cussing aside here's my tips tricks lessons and (a bit) of needs of improvement.

When starting, find the first overseer that's "Ready to fight for queen!"... that's your first NCO.
    use your initial NCO until he becomes a coward (after first time seeing a fish) and he's now a solo overseer
    testing proved a little sketchy on having crew with them or having them in a workshop with exception of needing to build gabians
    ****************for the programmers -- neither bed, nor beer, nor cooked food, nor being an overseer for days without seeing any action has resulted in moral ever picking up once the NCO becomes cowardly.
    ---as for above issue with shovels instead of guns,,, eventually got that straightened out by raiding bandit camps and demoting NCO's.

with population hurry hurry hurry taking any chance to get squad of recoats for first couple of rounds
    -- first round find another overseer that likes to fight, and there's your 2 squads. Make NCO an overseer
    **my first promoted overseer lasted many fights before going down in a glorious takedown of 21 fishpeople (my fault)
    Once you hit 40-50 people STOP taking people. It takes a while get where almost everyone is farming, but have them do wheat.
    --cabbage gives you 2 for 1 spot, but takes 3 days, wheat is every 2 days. You need to keep your people from running off to the wilderness
    **obviously if soldiers take a beating, then need to replace
    Once you have food under control slowly build up from there nice and easy. Skilled overseer and occasional bandit
    *****************************for the programmers
    every flippin time the citizens go foraging, they Always go hunting near a bandit camp, cause the bandits always have one thing of mushrooms lying in the middle of their camp! or they shot a deer... The (multiple usually) citizens get stuck in a loop, head for food or bush see something run back home, repeat... and you can only hope that your military guys can finally get there and chase off the bandits but usually they are foraging clear out somewhere else as well :p

Ok, so you say "all you lazy louts are now farmers!... except you poor bastards, mhuhahaha" and a bit down the way your like, why aren't they chopping trees? That's the only job I have them doing! *grumble*
    --Someone is hording the tool you need. When I turned my crews to just farming, I turned off hauling as well. This actually made it so they would invisibly pick up a hoe to farm each day, but they were carrying around pics and axes. Turn on hauling on your units (and hope they don't all rush the bandits) and wait some time, the tools will become available again.
    **********************for the programmers
    may fix soldiers shovels as well as hording tools --- when ready to go to sleep, drop tool, then go to sleep. Just tools not guns plz.

back to wheat. Starting and hammering wheat fields you can eventually start cooking bread or making beer, make sure you don't over beer it, it doesn't take much to douse your food supply. If you want soldiers to drink, turn off hauling (everything), and rally point them to the door of the brewery

Beds, I found out, do NOT need to be in a House. Just any building. I found my very long metalworks factory could hold 8 beds across the front of all the furnaces. Not exactly a fireplace setting, but you won't get chilly during the cold nights.
    *********************for you and the programmers
    when placing stoves/furnaces, if you place 2 in the corner in a T or L shape anywhere near a door, someone will get stuck there. (went through 3 deaths, 1 testing if they would become unstuck when starving *nope*, 2nd times the charm? *nope*, 3rd time couldn't get builder to knock down building fast enough (also other ppl walked through same spot, just the one stuck person.
    --"removing modules" not functional
    --"cancel job" on mining, wc, clearing etc not functional

Last thing:
    if your soldier gets stuck,,, retire unit, unpause till they move at least a couple squares, then conscript
    (same if "unwilling to fight" soldier/nco is running back and forth in same path)
    if get's Super stuck, move your troops/workers to another leader, try again, if not, then kiss him/her goodbye
    Do not make a graveyard. If you take on a bandit from waaay out, and he dies, someone will try to fetch his body.
    ---you cannot remove a graveyard placement

fishpeople waves.
    If they come to one spot and stop in a pile don't take them all on at once. rally outside of range, conscript a bad NCO, send him in. As soon as you see the fishpeople react to the lure, pause and retire the NCO. He'll go running away and your troops will take out those who chase him. Then, ease in until your taking shots at the rest. They will mostly just stand there as long as you don't have someone using a pistol. if you do, you won't for long :p

Sorry so long
    Sethius

Attached Files:

11. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

**all cussing aside part 2**
    Thank you for the hard work you've been doing. Every tweak and fix is noticeable each time.
    Very stable through my last run, Saves were solid, no crashes/reloads on that last 42 day run.
    Overseers flattening terrain, 2 thumbs up.
    Having the flashes above soldiers heads when they are not going to fight, good to know at a glance.
    Did not have any scripting errors in regards to bandits. :)
    Don't think I had any scripting errors at all since v38.

12. Grizzo

Grizzo Member

So.... I was just curious as to what may have happened to a shovel that a colonist so promptly broke. ;-). My only suggestion on this patch is the start may be just a tad too slow.

13. downer

downer Member

A few minor things are still off in an otherwise very pleasant release:
    - Soldiers like to take naps when chased by fishpeople. I suspect it has to do with the whole morale system rework. Unfortunately, that nap tends to segue right into a "dirt nap", if you take my meaning.
    - Moving door modules still leaves a hole in the wall and a door opening through a solid wall visually.

Haven't had much time to play yet, but I will be back to gripe some more ;)

14. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

I'm finding the few colonists start is very challenging on the tropical biome. I started one with 3 military NCO's, and I was down to 3 citizens by noon on the first day, prompting the extra citizen bailout event.

I get a medal or something for this right?

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

How about Cake? Cake is the Food of Victory, you know.

16. Wolg

Wolg Member

Note however that it is usually served with Grief Counselling.