REVISION 36a UP IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Mostly optimization, performance stuff, a bunch of new cult fun, and some fixes for broken things. The usual.

optimization: stop filling dependencies for things like stowing tools, fleeing from monsters, and other stuff that doesn't need to go into the dependency list
    optimization: improved speed of time spent checking alarm queries
    optimization: improved speed of time spent checking for hostiles
    optimization: removed unnecessary matrix calcs from renderer backend
    (basically a bunch of stuff is optimized)
    colonists using a stockpile will now always prefer the closet stockpile square.
    FIXED: game would crash sometimes when cancelling an assignment, cancelling jobs, and picking up a job that was cancelled on the same frame
    balance: increased interrupt value of "repair module" and "gather building materials for repairing module"
    balance: criminal favour gives random 1-3 criminals rather than always 3
    balance: redcoats gives one fewer soldiers
    FIXED: invite to cult said it was trying to form a new cult (+ made text description more informative)
    balance: cloth bolts require two units of flax
    balance TEST: doubled output of farms
    added correct description to Chicha
    cults: if a cult doesn't have a shrine and has >= 3 members, it should attempt to build a shrine
    balance: made fishpeople less excited about attacking gabions
    colonists will now be woken up by gunshots, melee fighting, and explosions based on distance from source rather than target
    "embrace eldritch visions" now plays a variety of animations
    added icon for bottle of rum
    GAMEPLAY TEST: halved hunger/starvation time, doubled crop output
    added descriptive text of madness level to charpanel
    weighted downward "admire painting/fine machinery/implements of science" jobs
    shortened tutorial tooltips (they were overflowing their bg)
    medicinals have a chance to remove "cult_seed"
    balance: doubled reload time for characters w/o military training
    added website to title menu just because
    IN PROGRESS: added a number of new events based on population and traits, as well as a fun bonus one for mining. Some of these are not ENTIRELY hooked up yet, so their indicated consequences may not actually happen
    polished fox pack-hunting behaviour.
    FIXED: chalkboards now have a 1x3 footprint.
    added new sound effects to a lot of UI elements.
    the macroscope is no longer backwards
    FIXED: colonists inspired to start a cult already in a cult won't start a new cult
    FIXED: modules not individually selectable after save/load
    FIXED: modules sometimes not getting correct tooltips selected and still always displaying module costs
    FIXED: modules not having correct bounding box set in object grid after save/load
    FIXED: characters will just drop tools in any old stockpile

... Can I leave the office now?

2. Wow! I was going to wait until a bunch of the optimizations were rolled in before giving the new monthly revision a try. Really looking forward to playing it after reading this changelog.

3. Nicholas

Optimization is still an ongoing process, and it is neither done nor as fast as I would like right now. Also these optimizations primarily affect the gameplay thread; there's a few things to make the renderer a bit faster, but most of our improvement has been supporting the simulation with 80+ characters, which we can now do without everything grinding to a halt (but still the odd stutter.)

4. Nicholas

... aaaaaaaaaand left the development tools in. Awesome.

5. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Member

6. TheDrgnRbrn

TheDrgnRbrn Member

So, I played til I crashed, and the only noticeable thing I saw was that soldiers would teleport towards enemies if they were trying to engage them. While I loved it because it meant my soldiers would be able to chase and kill things finally, its obviously not working as intended. Also, I don't know if this is a bug, but I watched my carpenter overseer get gossiped to continually by a stream of people for ten minutes while i was waiting for planks to be made. It was super frustrating, because people would wake up from the bunkhouse next door and immediately go over to gossip with him, then someone else would, then the guy that originally talked to him did it again, making this giant loop of gossping til i had ten people in the hut and no planks being made.

7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

[r36a]

Fleeing from Fishmen seems a bit broken now - often, the colonists closest to an aggressive Fishman will run in place ('Retreating'), while the Fishman will kill them one at a time, in a leisurely manner.

Also, anecdotally, colonists seem to be getting stuck inside modules, fuctional and decorative, noticeably more often (Mineshaft, cots, workbenches, ovens, etc.)

Also, something weird is happening with Burials - their jobs appear in the Jobs list, but they never clear, even though burials are clearly happening.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Alianin likes this.
  8. The textile workshop doesn't produce any cloth: it just eats flax. I see my overseer brign the flax to the machine, and the flax disappear and the overseer just goes to take another "piece" of flax (I don't remember the exact term...)
    Also my militia was a bit broken: I had a gruop of them to rally on a bandit camp, there were three of them against two bandits. I lost two...just because they happily shot the bandit, did a little walk around, then reload, and finally another shot (from here repaet until the soldier/bandit dies). Last thing: the colonists leave a lot of food (from agrivulture) directly on the field... Is it intended?

Alianin and wargarurumon like this.
  9. Wolg

Wolg Member

Food lying on the field is probably the doubled farm output change; they harvest, then haul one away to the stockpile/drop point while the other stays on the crop square.

Not sure if this is picked up already, but existing colonists with name tags on when the game is saved will never have name tags after load, only new migrants will.

Cthulhu_Awaits likes this.
  10. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

okay i can definitly say its stabler, walking is still normal at 80 colonists, no slowdowns

11. Krentz

Krentz Member

Tried it for a couple nights, performance seemed decent and I didn't notice much weird behavior (but I didn't get very far either). When my workshops were taking a while to build, I went into the jobs menu and cancelled a bunch of forage and mining jobs. At this point all my colonists hung, and just continued to walk in place. I paused and unpaused, tried to save and quit, but they stayed hung up. I noticed I couldn't quit the game from the menu (both "save and quit" and "quit without saving" wouldn't do anything) so I ended up having to force quit from the task manager.

12. I've had quite a few crashes when I open the work crew tab and the game is still running. I believe it might be because I have the bottom menu open at the same time though I can't confirm this.

13. The colonists wandering off into unexplored, fog of war covered areas to gather building supplies is driving me crazy.

14. Nicholas

Okay, this is interesting. Do you have a DMP file?

15. I'm sure I do but I'm not 100% sure how to get it and it's quite late here. I'll post it tomorrow in this thread. As an aside the painting bug is completely gone as far as I can tell (yay!). It's just a shame my colonists have such poor artistic ability!

16. Alianin

Alianin Member

I, too, have run into the issue with people getting stuck in modules. An aristocrat got stuck in a cot and died of starvation. I've also seen the bug with cloth never being made, just "eating" the flax. Currently, it's just with the workbenches. I haven't built the spinning mule yet, so I'm not sure if that's doing it, too.

17. Alephred

I can confirm the flax bug; flax gets delivered to the spinning mule, but no bolts of cloth are produced, although the workshop order decreases as if one had been produced.

Cthulhu_Awaits and Alianin like this.
  18. Alephred

Attached Files:

19. Hi Nicholas, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate DMP file but it's the most recent so it's got the best chance! Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

20. Alianin

Alianin Member

In addition to the colonists getting stuck in modules, I had one get stuck in a wall. I had to move the door to that wall for him to be able to get out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.