REVISION 35C UP

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Heads up! This one is pretty experimental. There will probably be at least one more revision before we call it Revision 36, and various character events or whatevers may not fire correctly or work yet. Guess what I'm working on this weekend. We also did a lot of adjustments to the combat logic for soldiers which we are still working through, and... well, lots of stuff changed about.

Anyhow:

Consolidated 35C Changelog:

engine/misc
    FIXED: game immediately goes from battle music playing to pegging the discovery music and not moving
    CPU side optimization to render backend; removed unnecessary matrix calculations etc
    implemented brushfire search for moving characters into civilization

nature
    balance: made stone nodes provide more stone
    balance: made clay node clusters more numerous
    artifact discovery now gives discoverers name in ticker
    balance: made trees take way longer to chop

events/gamestart
    position of event window remembered between events
    balance: added more building materials to gamestart
    balance: pushed bandit and fish attacks back to day 2 (as they'd appear in night 1, which is a bit soon)
    "call favour" event won't appear unless you have enough prestige to do anything with it
    added madness/cult contextual tutorial
    cleaned up the starting tutorial infodump now that we have some contextual tutorials
    criminals immigrants have a chance to want to start a cult
    criminals sent to your colony may now be slightly mad
    colonists should no longer spawn in water at gamestart
    fishpeople menacing should spam less alerts
    FIXED: some zoom-to alerts didn't zoom-to

buildings/workshops
    implemented real building material cost system
    added "upgrade pistol to revolver" job
    added revolver icon
    FIXED: standing orders of glass panes broken
    added coal icons to smelting job tooltips (because smelting takes a carbon source now)
    FIXED: an office w/ dead overseer displayed an alert with incorrect title text

characters
    added "drink curative" for curing madness (colonist will drink Laudanum or Sulphur Tonic to relieve maddening thoughts)
    balance: reduced desire to drink booze across the board because it was impossible to maintain stocks
    UI: work crew display now really displays # of idle work parties, not # of active work parties
    drinking laudanum has a small chance of turning a character into a Laudanum Fiend
    "building materials to be dropped off now show in tooltip

combat
    all combat code rewritten to use state machine tiers to determine combat operations
    FIXED: animals fighting animals will no longer trigger combat music
    FIXED: bandits and fishpeople have to reload guns now, for real
    characters will load their guns upon gamestart

cults
    cults will announce their name in ticker upon formation
    cults will announce new members to game ticker
    cults will do recruitment at night, and only one initiation per night max
    cultists who witness an occult ritual will be made happy
    added alert upon cult formation
    studying eldritch artifacts may increase madness and/or inspire cults
    people invited to a cult will decide whether to join or not based on traits, madness, and relationship w/ cult leader
    cultists who are invited to join another cult will become offended
    cultists who are invited to join a cult they're not in will become offended

2. Plasson

Plasson Member

Boy, the need for wood sure went up.

3. Nicholas

I believe the logic is that we're trying to make it so you can't complete the beginning game in 2 minutes. Still, tuning is a thing that happens. :)

4. Plasson

Plasson Member

ehh.. you might want to sort of skim over the code changes with the military.. First wandering fishperson to come by, and my soldiers are running for the hills.

well not quite. They seem to run away, stop and let the fishperson catch up to them and get hit. then run away again, about 15 tiles. my NCO just got whacked while I tried to make any sense of it....

Off to bed then... was about to, when I saw this update.

5. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Yes, soldiers are now employing the tactic of stand in a circle. It's not very effective vs fishpeople :p

6. Nicholas

Looking into this now (it was working on Friday, so I suspect a last minute change broke something)

7. Unforked

Unforked Member

I'm liking the new building material cost system. Things are starting to feel less sandboxy and more gamey.

8. aHToHuo88

aHToHuo88 Member

Great update! But there are some bugs. 1. The soldiers stop attacking fishmans 2. The game is not saved (maybe just me) 3. The game crashes after ~2 hours of gameplay...

off topic, sry;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  9. Wolg

Wolg Member

I just lost my three starting soldiers during the first night to a lone aurochs on a startled rampage, which the redcoats tried to Animal Friend rather than shoot. :D

10. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

Huh.

Responding To Alarms take precedence over Rallying, Shooting Entities (at least Fishpeople), Counter-Attacking and so on.

What happens is: Fishmen! Fleeing Colonists! Heroic Soldiers Run towards the fleeing colonist, responding to the alarm! Fish-person runs after soldiers! Finding nothing questionable once they arrive at one alarmed citizen's location, soldiers run towards the next alarmed citizen.

They wouldn't find anything questionable, the fish-person was after all behind them the entire time. Dammit, Zellie, turn around! Turn arou--- nooooo.

This is amusing in a kind of horror-story ish way. It's very good that soldiers respond to alarms with this much alacrity, since they haven't quite before, but I think the job "Responding To Alarm" needs to be interuptable in way, way higher measure. By say realizing that the fish person they're arriving to respond to is, at this moment, attacking them.

This locks down the colony and causes a fatal hang-up by way of everyone always running around.

Edit: Interestingly, if you request a lot of guns and conscript every-body but absolutely neccesary workcrews, you can still play the game because one of the 24 heavily armed, angry, cult-prone conscripts might luck out and attack the fish person. I feel rather like I'm supervising some sort of militaristic, tea and crumpet obsessed gang right now.

Anyhow yeah, "Respond To Alarm" needs to be interuptable or lower in utiltiy, as it interupts every other kind of military action at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  11. Nicholas

This has apparently been fixed and upload 35D is in progress.