REVISION 34C NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Some good fixes here, folks:

• FIXED: job interrupts weren't set to fire at all in 34 experimentals; combat should work way better now
    • added Mine building and Mineshaft module
    • balance: made higher-class beds more expensive
    • FIXED: "Feel Madness" incorrectly made people "Feel Happy"
    • FIXED: some mismatched character body/head textures
    • FIXED: save game issue crashing saving invalid assignments
    • FIXED: tree rendering on OS X
    • Added "# of active work crews" counter to top of screen
    • made artisans less interested in doing paperwork at night
    • removed "idle in chair" job so that there will be free chairs for people to eat in
    • FIXED: when you call a Naturalist via favour, you actually get a naturalist now.
    • Naturalists will form work crews (though labourers don't do anything in them yet)
    • Rewrote memory utility code to correctly update and set moods from memories without having half-crazed, volatile mood swings.
    • FIXED: rendering errors on particle systems
    • Right-clicking a stockpile filter will enable ONLY that filter.
    • Right-clicking a work crew filter will enable ONLY that filter.
    • Added debug messages to try and catch more save game issues
    • "make planks" now looks for closest log
    • FIXED: peat cube was a white cube

Mr147, TurboTodd, Samut and 1 other person like this.
  2. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Doesn't seem like the Naturalist does any special jobs correctly, I didn't see him doing anything but farming and hauling jobs in the fast game I tried this evening. I am also still getting military units ignoring bandits in favor of hauling things, although it is better than last build.

3. Samut

Samut Member

Played until the evening of Day 7, when the error 'FSM:Sleep Disabled' popped up right after the first module repair was underway. Files are attached.

Random notes:

• It seems like ever since Extra Criminals were added as an option, I was always get a Vicar in my first batch.
    • Speaking of which, it's weird that Vicars are showing up before there's a church. I realize the original script was bugged and never really worked, but the original plan was the right way to go: you build a chapel/church/Vicar hut, the Church of the Holy Cog sends you a Vicar. Maybe some more show up after that, but not before. Because right now, they're just farming and stuff.
    • Also, additional Vicars should not have a work crew. I can see the case for one assigned to the chapel, but that should be it - when a chapel is built, the first Vicar to show up gets the crew which is automatically assigned to the chapel. Additional Vicars are on their own (unless you have multiple chapels, I guess). If the Vicar heading a crew dies and there are other Vicars about, one gets picked at random. The Church picks this stuff.
    • Work crews for Naturalists is a really bad idea. Once I was able to able to bring one in, she never did a lick of exploring; she was too busy tending Flax.
    • The game feels smooth, although I was getting some stutter-step as population neared 30.
    • Hunting appears fixed.
    • I forgot to mention my earlier joy that exploration beacons have been fixed. Yay explorer beacons!
    • One weird error that's been around as long as I can remember: colonists who sleep on the floor inside a building end up with a memory of sleeping outside. Check out Ira Mudlocke in the replay.

Attached Files:

4. Samut

Samut Member

Agreed; they're finishing whatever job they currently have before responding to the rally.

5. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Yes, hauling/task priority is still kinda borked. A soldier ignored an attacking fishperson (as in, HE was the on being damaged) while 'returning tool to stockpile' for a good distance before finally turning around and slaughtering the gillbreather. A little bit longer and he probably would have been killed himself. Also, I don't think the 'colonists walking halfway across the map to retrieve goods stolen by bandits or meat from animals slaughtered by a predator' bug is addressed yet; I lost a footsoldier, two lower class and two overseers in an ill-conceived effort to take back a stolen crate of pickled black fungus to eat and, later, a chunk of long-pork (presumably a fox happened upon a dead colonist in the bandit's camp). Maybe meat generated from animals or fishpeople slaughtering bodies should have a 'carrion' tag attached to it (with a cool buzzing flies graphic) that precludes colonists from storing or eating it (unless starving?).

6. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I gave 34c a quick spin:

• saving and loading seems to be better - I was able to twice save and load the same session, without crashing
    • soldier responses to bandit and fishman raids are much snappier, and they respond to rally beacons properly again
    • I was able to construct a mine and mineshaft, which eventually produced a random selection of mineral products (I got sand, gold, and clay out of the one I built)
    • I'm still getting an issue where colonists will wander into a bandit camp to attempt o haul back stolen goods. In my case the sequence went like this:
      • queue up exactly the number of cots that my existing stock of bolts of cloth allows
      • successfully build all but one
      • suffer a bandit raid, where my last bolt of cloth is stolen back to bandit camp
      • colonists keep trying to steal the cloth back to built a cot
      • crush bandits with military, pillage camp, build cot
    Random considerations:
    • I've noticed it's now possible to grow bamboo as a crop, which means colonies now have a renewable source of lumber - it seems like it would be appropriate for the Jungle biome, but it feels a bit weird to have it grow in Temperate Colorado. But that's just a very minor quibble.
    • As I noted in a bug report, occasionally colonist overseers will have a gray, featureless face with white hatching, presumably indicative of a missing face texture (or the issue may not be limited to overseers, but it occurred twice during my most recent session, to lady overseers).

7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

Hauling:

Ah, the problem here is that "dropping an item off in a stockpile" fulfills the requirement "drop item" just the same as "instantly drop your item on the ground". The latter job won't fulfill the former so people can run away / attack the hostile. There's a logic problem here that may require altering a bunch of jobs/requirements, maybe making a new condition to fill "drop everything right now, oh god they're coming for me": OC-2686. (update: fixed for rev35)

Using Goods from out in the middle of the woods:
    Problem here is that ownership of these items appears to default to the player and the range for workshop jobs to search for commodities is 500 tiles, which is ... generous. In rev35+ we'll get the job overhaul that means people will only use the closest commodity for a job and will only (for real) use items owned by the player. I'll see if we can hax values to be a bit more sane in the meantime for rev35: OC-2684 (update: more or less fixed for 35)

Naturalist Work Crew:
    It sounds like the problem is that they've got all the usual job filters activated by default (and there's no "naturalism jobs" filter). Made OC-2687 to turn these off so naturalists do their job unless you specifically enable other jobs. The whole naturalist job set will require some overhaul at some point anyway. (update: fixed for 35)

Criminal Vicars:
    Left it in be cause I like seeing Vicars. Could make 'em less common, at least.

Memory for sleeping outside when sleeping on floor:
    Sounds like a bug: OC-2688 (can't fix til post-rev35, requires a new script feature)

Missing Face:
    Got this one in the other thread & have it fixed for next version - thanks!

scripterror in sleep.fsm:
    Looking into this too, OC-2689 (update: fixed for 35)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    wargarurumon likes this.
  8. jack nory

jack nory Member

I also gave rev 34c a good 14 day run before it crashed without warning or error message.

Couple of things that I noticed

• The stop farming button didn't work for me anymore
    • Nobody drank any of the alcohol that I made. Perhaps it is because they are just too happy, and alcohol is imbibed when they get in a foul mood?
    • Workers would take some food and tools to the most recently created stockpile. Even if it was not allowed in the stockpiles filter settings. In addition I had a whole stream of colonists that would continuously try to drop their tools at this stockpile (must be their favorite of all the stockpile) as shown in the attached pic. clockwork.bug.droptool.furthest.stockpile.congo.line.jpg
    • Materials that are set aside for the construction of modules are never used again if that module is canceled. (Lets say you were constructing a brewing vat and 2 of the 4 planks already arrived. After canceling the vat those 2 planks would never be used. I tested this by only building enough planks for the vat, then trying to build cots that required planks. This may also be the case for destroying buildings but I'm not sure.
    • I build a high class home and suddenly all my sleepy colonists decided to hang around there (around 20 +) with the sleep job but they wouldn't fall asleep and they would complain that they were getting really tired even though there were cots and simple beds for them to sleep in the lower class housing. The game then suddenly crashed when I tried to save it in this state. Here is the party: clockwork.hipster.mansion.hangout.jpg The result: clockwork.colonist.tired.pulled.another.allnighter.in.mansion.jpg
    I have an earlier save if that would be helpful.

9. dbaumgart

Logged all the bugs, thanks! A couple of these we knew about, a couple we didn't, (and a couple I think need to get resolved via the massive jobs overhaul).

10. dbaumgart

That's so super weird!

I tried to reproduce this in the most straightforward way possible (in rev35): built a town, started to build an upper class house with all the furniture. I didn't get the swarming effect.

I wonder if this is related to chairs: I did remove the "idle in chair" job and lower the utility of "sit in chair" to zero, meaning that people won't do it unless they need to do it to take another action they want to accomplish, eg. "eat food while sitting in chair".

If anyone else gets an upper house class swarmed by people being useless, please let us know. It is possible the problem is fixed in rev35.