Revision 32B is now up in the Experimental Branch!

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Daniel, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

We made some new stuff, tweaked some old stuff, and threw out some stuff we hated! Game Development!!

• Jobs/Workcrews
      • FIXED: jobs not being taken if you have a workshop assignment (regardless of whether or not the assignment is being done)
      • FIXED: two work parties can compete for the same assignment, causing one of them to never take a new assignment
      • X-to-cancel assignment now (mostly) works in the jobs menu
      • increased range of player-assigned hunting job
      Buildings/Modules
      • added a Chapel building
      • added some modules for the chapel (but they don't do anything yet and there's no Vicar)
      Characters
      • FIXED?: various potential scriptErrors in the friend-making process
      • added more names for workcrews because it /is claimed/ that there are lots of repeat names
      • balance: turned one labourer into an overseer at game start
      • balance: adjusted immigration rate of overseers upward
      • added alerts for various cases of death due to murder, being marked for justice but getting murdered by cultists instead, and being marked for justice but being killed by something else entirely.
      • cleaned up emotion animation jobs for characters (hooked up a couple more animations, have them attempt an emotion icon if it's been a while since an icon has been displayed)
      • balance: re-weighted "experience terror" job
      • balance: re-weighted emotion animations to base utility on emotionalAnimationTimer
      • added "feel madness" emotion animation job
      • added a "felt madness" memory (for the "feel madness" job)
      • lower class labourers made grubbier
      Combat/Military
      • FIXED the thing where landmines/logs wouldn't count down in commodity stats when placing landmines/gabions
      • added ability to remove landmines & dismantle gabions
      • explosive commodities will now explode when damaged
      • incidentally, commodities can be destroyed by damage (we'll see how horribly this pans out)
      • added ability for hunters to shoot hostiles in combat (eg. Fishpeople)
      • balance: adjusted civilian melee attacking a bit
      • new affliction system implemented!
      Save/Load
      • FIXED: stockpile serialization
      Fishpeople/Others
      • Fishpeople can use their urchin grenades!
      • Fishpeople given simple personality archetypes to affect behaviours
        Fishpeople with leadership qualities can rally raiding parties over various issues
      • lightened up and desaturated the gray fishpeople skin so it's more silver
      • cleaned up interrupts & job utilities on fishpeople jobs (they were all over the place)
      • and for Other Things
      Engine
      • FIXED: game now lets you know if the starting scripts are broken
      Nature/Animals
      • new hematite nodes added
      • Beetle Steaks!
      • terrain: added some grass to the temperate beach
      • biome generation adjusted a bit, secretly?
      • added "plant" tag to grass (for herbivores)
      • added Land Dragon
      • added Fox
      Events
      • made immigration event give more game log info

2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

New Revision!

My priorities:

1) carefully copy new food.edb into a local directory for dissection
    1a) amend wiki
    2) play new revision

First Impressions (I'll put bugs in their own thread in Bug subforum):

• I used to get the stop-and-go motion, but only in the jungle. That seems to be mostly fixed, yay!
    • I've noticed that I now start with 6 overseers, 7 workers, 1 NCO, 2 soldiers, and 1 Naturalist.
    • On my first Immigrant drop, I got another 2 overseers and 1 worker, giving me eight crews of one worker each, amusing.
    • The fancy new up/down arrows beside jobs are nice, but they don't seem to work.
    • The beetle flesh now looks like white bug meat stuck to a big chunk of shell, I like it.
    • Cooked beetle flesh has diamond-shaped grill marks, like they just stuck it on the barbecue, shell and all, nice.
    • Since when do fleeing beetles gallop? That made me laugh.

Minor quibbles:
    • food overcooking (8/5 Fishperson stakes, 10/5 Pickled White Cup Fungus) seems quite common now
    • In the Tropical Jungle Kitchen (which sounds like a Food Network reality show) the menu has both 'cook steak' and 'cook beetle steak' (although cooked beetle still only registers as the latter when produced) *edit* Now I see why, since there are sources of steak in the jungle that do not come from beetles, Fishpeople, or cannibalism.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. Samut

Samut Member

Yay churches! Lots of good stuff we can do with these. The add/subtract buttons for the work crews is nice too.

Fired up the new build and played through about a week of game time - not long enough to see any new content.

Still seeing these problems:
    • Naturalist does not remove explore beacons, although they can be manually cancelled.
    • Flatten Terrain beacons do not go away when the job is done, nor can they be cancelled manually.
    • Kitchen menu interface is still sticking the Fish and Long Pork pie to the right off the main grid, so they can't be clicked on.
    • I had a soldier toggling between Drink Beverage and some job called "Wield Weapon" which I can't find anywhere. If you watch the replay it's Aubrey Patercowl, and it happens right after the Fishpeople attack.
    Performance seems much smoother (this was in Temperate, if that matters). Soldiers are much more aggressive about hunting.

Attached Files:

Mizkoukla likes this.
  4. Alephred

I spent way too long learning how to capture, encode, and convert this, but here you have it:

R32B.gif

I like to imagine a frantic Keystone Cops piano soundtrack.

dbaumgart and Turbo164 like this.
  5. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

So my little wiki fingers were tingling due to the chapel to create such an article.... however; is it a chapel or a church? These notes say one thing and the dev blog say another. I CALL FOUL PLAY :(

However I believe it falls mostly under church as this implementation seems to indicate 1) consecrated ground 2) Strictly Cog believing place of worship.. for now.

Edit; Went for chapel as that is the in-game name.

6. Wolg

Wolg Member

Since the changelog doesn't mention it, I'll repost this:
    I haven't yet got to the PC with CE on it, so the line numbers may have changed for 32b. I'll revise them when I get there.

dbaumgart likes this.
  7. Jacq

Jacq Member

There are now too many overseers, imo. I was getting 1 or 2 in each "three of anyone" drop. By day 17 or 18 merely opening the "Work Crews" tab would freeze my game for a few seconds and drop down to a frame every 3 or 4 seconds during a fishperson attack. At the least, it feels like it makes the "one skilled overseer" option undesirable.

I haven't noticed any afflictions yet, but I forgot to look for them. I love the little craters! :)

8. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

Okay I am loving the changes, but I am getting a LOT more random crashes than I was before. :( Dislike button. Why why why? Theres no error, no indication that its crashing, just BOOM. Gone. Break my heart why dont you? lol And Im still getting a lot of lag looking at the work crews (I dont look at them after a certain point now.) I think it has to do with the framerate. This could probably explain the serious amounts of lagging in walking and working I have seen as well. Heres all Ive got. At least I hope its right... :confused:

Attached Files:

9. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Heck, darn. Missed this somehow - adding it to the next version & will test internally. Thanks Wolg!

Edit: ticket OC-2251

10. Alephred

I agree with Jacq - I'm getting too many overseers now. I generally like the line of reasoning that says 'we need more overseers so our colony can multitask better', but now my early game seems to more of a struggle. The recent changes mean Work Crews tend to be smaller and more numerous - but they're too small to be really effective units now, and I almost never choose the option to receive another Overseer anymore. Is there some way to dial it back a bit?

11. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Overseer Immigration : Seems like adding one more at the start did the trick; I'll pull the immigration rate of middle class overseers back a touch.

Jacq and Samut like this.
  12. Samut

Samut Member

Cool. The old ratio of lower class:middle class immgrants was fine.

13. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

I dunno... I have to disagree. I liked having more work crews. Totally efficient to me. I could empty out a work crew to "bare bones" and then have them mine and take the others to cook or build or farm. Made me happy.

14. Jacq

Jacq Member

:oops: SO CUUUUTE

[​IMG]

zetjester, MOOMANiBE and dbaumgart like this.
  15. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Sorry about the crashes. We're working on fixing them asap and that particular one will likely be fixed by the next experimental update. Do keep in mind that experimental updates are just that-- and won't be the most stable. We use them to test out new features or quality-of-life improvements, and it's pretty common that issues slip in with them.

Thanks for reporting, we appreciate it!

16. Mr147

Mr147 Member

I've noticed that crashing has been happening less and less, (Which is a major plus) But i have to report that when I have attempted to load the game it simply crashed all of the game, forcing it to close. (Note, this happened only in the first loading slot) when I tried the second slot it loaded fine. So that may have to be looked at, also i will provide a screenshot when i can.

17. Samut

Samut Member

Can we look forward to a new revision in the experimental branch any time soon? There seems to be an awful lot of upcoming new features and bug fixes that have stacked up. I can't wait to see the Colonial Swarm-Fox in action!

18. Rahbek23

Rahbek23 Member

Well the large monthly update should be around soon. It's almost one month since the last one (17th of October I think), so you should probably expect that one quite soon unless shit has gone down (mac and linux cough cough :p)

19. Unforked

Unforked Member

I too have a burning itch for an experimental revision, though I fully understand that some things may take a little longer to prepare.

Do you recall if they've ever released a revision on a weekend?

20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The team's working hard on the update, the renderer rewrite caused issues that we're dealing with. Like @Rahbek23 said we're approaching the 1month mark for our monthly updates.

We have a few times, though I can't confirm if we will this weekend.