Revision 31D UP IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Fixes the cowardly soldiers as well as a few more things:

- module category filters added
    - improvements to module placement
    - some decor content reactivated (now that we have filters)
    - windows work!
    - modules given filter tags
    - FIXED combat jobs not interrupting "Respond to Alarm" properly
    - FIXED landmine scriptErrors
    - FIXED clear_object scriptErrors
    - rebalanced combat job utility values
    - balance: every weapon drop is guaranteed to have one crate of ammunition
    - dead things now don't take damage
    - removed spam from tree
    - improved Eldritch Transformation effects
    - "Eldritch Transformation" may no longer interrupt itself
    - made "Eat Food" more important to hungry people

KillerKidClever and Stuthulhu like this.
  2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

l.jpg

Initial impressions of [r31D]

-Flatten Terrain assignment is working, but the beacon never goes away and can't be cancelled
    -soldiers are working efficiently now, hurray!
    -flagging food animals for hunting is working well
    -landmines appear to be working correctly now
    -I was able to save a game without crashing my client
    -I was able to load a game successfully, however:
    -stockpile filters stopped working after loading a game

Most interestingly, I caught a soldier running for no apparent reason, and I saw this:

fishtol.jpg

He ran to retrive the fishtol from a dead Fishman, and then ran back to town and refilled on bullets from the stockpile. Here's another shot of him casually carrying it around as a weapon.

*edit* I can confirm soldiers will shoot things with the fishtol. And in a happy coincidence, they can use good old Empire ammunition.

fishtol2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Turbo164 and dbaumgart like this.
  3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... ship it!

Turbo164 likes this.
  4. Samut

Samut Member

31D is much better. *Much* better. CE is almost at the point where I could recommend it to people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in buying a game until it's "finished".

Couple of bugs (I'll file them in the proper thread), but overall a very different experience in that instead of noting a bunch of goofs and bugs as the game progressed, I could just ... play. Nice.

The game feels quicker, too - smoother resolution when scrolling, I can have the work crew or jobs menus open while the game is running without everything grinding to a halt (although as population hit the high 20s there was some notable jerky movements when those menus were open and the game was not paused). Saving works!

The Respond to Alarm job works better, although it would be great to have different icons for explore, alarm, flatten terrain, and rally beacons (perhaps an exclamation point, a flag, and a shovel for the last three). Oh, and bring back rally beacons, please! It's nice to be able to tell soldiers 'if nothing else is going on, stay here.'

The biggest issue is soldier behavior when confronted one on one - they're still too inclined to run out into the middle of nowhere while a Fishperson hacks them to death. It might help if they knew how to Prudently Withdraw Indoors in such circumstances instead.

But overall, a big step up. Excellent.

zetjester likes this.
  5. Viion

Viion Member

Did a quick game to check out 31D. Very cool! I like the new building and module placement (yeah, before I had time to try 31C you guys had already posted 31D :-D ). I had a great time playing it. Nice flow.

And the flatten terrain was very cool as well. Only strange thing with flatten is how it differentiates between "higher than normal" and "lower than normal". The lower than is marked with red grid so it's easy to spot, but it's not possible to spot the "higher than" unless I marked terrain with the flatten tool and saw the grid disappear under the earth. Oh, it it seems that if I'm inaccurate and drag-select an area larger than the area to be flattened (selecting an area that included two ditches and the area in between them) it creates a job for flattening the squares that already are flat. Could that be the reason why the marker never disappears since it can't flatten terrain that's already flat and therefore the job/task is never finished?

Oh and there was some issue with nobody wanting to forage berries. No idea what happened since they were willing earlier in the game to forage aurach bones. I was saving the berry bushes as "emergency ration" but that wasn't a success when they refused to forage them. Then there were starvation and death. :)

6. Nice revision. My graphic card seems to be running cooler and the fan is not running flat out on this one - it's only 3/4 flat out. All a lot smoother and playable. Not had a huge time to look further but will try and do so during the day if I can skive off some work time. UI a lot clearer than 31C.

zetjester likes this.
  7. Andouce

Andouce Member

Have to agree with majority of comments made here. Been playing and really is a huge improvement from previous revisions. The game itself feels much better and with all the changes and fixes you can certainly see just how far it has came from the first Steam update anyway and earlier.

The UI is much clearer, still not 100% made up yet on my view in regards to the module placement menu but it only takes getting used to. Her Majesty and all Colonial Staff are pleased with the progress that has been made ! :)

Please continue your fine work and keep it up ^^

With Kind Regards,

zetjester likes this.
  8. Wolg

Wolg Member

From tonight's run:
    • Are we supposed to be able to put doors in the middle of nowhere?
    • Cleanup of flatten terrain beacons is inconsistent; some go when the job is done, others remain, and choosing cancel job off them doesn't remove them
    • Have the cult weightings changed? I just had three citizens simultaneously decide to creepyshrine before day 1 was over...
    • Comment: watching a soldier flee from an angry hunted aurochs is funny, and frustrating when they can't summon backup themselves.
    • Flatten terrain doesn't seem to do true levelling - most noticeable with farms, as while the grid becomes white, the colonists don't seem to lower terrain that is higher if it is already buildable, so the farm texture renders below the landscape
    • Objects in ditches that are flattened don't seem to move vertically with the ground height change? ("Sinking ammo crates")
    • Soldiers seem to be able to detect bullet recipients (for hunting or combat) under the black mask?
    Possibly more, but the session ended in a crash.

9. zetjester

zetjester Member

Managed to get a good few hours in today:

Feedback from Her Majesty's Junior Bureaucrat(well maybe not so junior!), most of which has been reported above but I'll throw my penny's worth in!
    A very impressive mod to 31C, military getting stuck in very well, game play seems more fluent. I had been pausing game before meddling with work crews as game froze before, but this seems much improved. Building module display more logical and easier to use. I still think the military needs a tweek? Once they run, its off into the distance, they may fight back but keep fleeing. It would be better if they ran towards the rally point and then re-gained morale/loaded new rounds etc, composed themselves with support of other troops rather than being slaughtered in the wilderness. The butcher wildlife (player request) did not seem to work for me all the time. Errors on grave duty, no grave stone. If hauling jobs dissabled for Military and Militia they did not pick up the new airship drops of ammo and rifles etc, which maybe they should still do?

Overall its great and thank you for a grand job.
    I do believe the CE development team will be mentioned in despatches for their finest efforts to the Crown :)