REVISION 30E up

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Revision 30E is up, containing a number of stability fixes, UI stuff, and more real old-timey axe murder. Please enjoy and let us know what you think! (And if it's more stable for you or not.)

KillerKidClever likes this.
  2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Would it be possible to get a list of things that have been changed / fixed, so we know what to look for?

*edit* Sausages! Saaauusages!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. Darekada

Darekada Member

Then you shall get a crash report as soon as I can play a game. What should we try to break or get more details about?

4. Nicholas

Honestly? Just play it in general. I would really love to know that the save/load crashes are fixed, for instance.

5. Looks pretty good so far. I noticed that the new crops brought in last week were backed out along with the renovation option. I think I also noticed some new music possibly related to cults. Unfortunately I had a runtime crash before I could try to make a stable save so I uploaded a report in the bugs forum.

There was a section of the playthrough when almost all my colonists were asleep at the exact same time. You might want to add some variance in the sleep functionality.

6. Stuthulhu

Stuthulhu Member

Didn't crash when I'd saved (a first for me) and managed to keep going without any show-stopper errors through day 13 so far. And, well, there's been some enjoyably serious battling!

7. Ghin

Ghin Member

It's been quite crash-free so far. I just had a game where the NCO revealed himself to be a cannibalistic murderer during a 20-fishman raid. A healthy dosage of lead was administered.

Colin and Viion like this.
  8. Nicholas

As part of normal, healthy cult behaviour, or ...?

9. Samut

Samut Member

Enjoying the new rev greatly so far.

Some bugs:

1. Building Gabions eventually gave me a red X error icon and a message saying I didn't have enough timber. 148 logs, but no timber.
    2. A soldier armed himself to shoot some attacking fish people, but his musket wasn't shown. It looked like he was pointing his hands and saying "Bang!". When he went back to the stockpile to return it, the musket was briefly visible but then mostly fell through the stockpile so only a sliver of the gun could be seen.
    3. The button to form a militia is handy, although they didn't seem to ever take up arms. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to muster them out and return them to civilian life.
    4. I played to day 7 or so, but never saw a supply ship. Was it disabled?
    Anyway, this is a big step up. Kudos.

10. Samut

Samut Member

Oh, one other bug: If any of my new immigrants were non-Labourers (e.g. Farmer, Miner etc.), upon assigning them to a work crew, they lost their specialty and became labourers. Moving them back to the Unassigned Workers group didn't change them back.

11. Ghin

Ghin Member

I would say it was part of normal cult activity. I wasn't watching the act, but I did hear the butchering sounds, gibbering madness, and exclamations of horror from the general populace. Frontier life.

12. Alephred

Improvements I have noticed:

-As noted above by Samut, the Form Militia button, yay, Colonists are no longer helpless without Military Crews.
    -Friends entries in the detailed biographies. Although nobody ever seems to make friends.
    -Constructing protruding modules in the corner of my kitchen did not make it invisible this time.
    -I have been able to Save and Load without crashing, to date

Specific Feedback regarding the changes to the Job Queue:

Because of my particular playstyle, my experience has been that the time it takes to get your kitchen functional has increased. I understand that this is because a single crew will build all the ovens and other modules inside, simultaneously, rather than one Work Crew per oven (i.e. it will take 4 times as long, but you will get 4 times as many ovens when they're done). This is a more efficient use of workers and minimizes the number of idle Colonists, and it leaves more Work Crews available to tend the farms and haul things.

So, building a new workshop will only tie up one Work Crew, rather than as many Work Crews as there are projects, which is good, I guess. But it means you can't brute force speedy construction when you have several Crews available (which is essentially what happened prior to the changes). It makes sense, but I'm not sure how I feel about it, overall.

In RTS-style games like Starcraft and Age of Mythology, I'd simply drag-select *all* my idle peons to speed-build my gas farm or ostentatious gold-capped pyramid. In a game like Gnomoria or Dwarf Fortress, I designate the excavation or fungus farm and let the peons sort it out themselves. Logically, It feels like idle Colonists *should* be able to wander in and lend a hand if they're free, because I expect more autonomy from them, compared to the workers in RTS-type games. But look and feel are very subjective, and obviously, I can't speak to what the Devs intend for the feel of things.

13. Samut

Samut Member

Okay, I figured out why the supply ship wasn't showing up - the new event Starvation Bailout is using the same variable name ("Supply Ship Timer") as the Air Supply Ship event. I edited it in starvation_bailout.go and started a new game, and the supply ship showed up as expected.

KillerKidClever and Alephred like this.
  14. Samut

Samut Member

Okay, and I see why I was getting the timber error - Gabion jobs will only look 50 spaces away for logs; if they're too far away, it triggers the error message.

Could the message be changed to refer to logs instead of timber, and also to reflect that the available resources are too far away?

15. Alephred

That's some impressive detective work.

16. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Went from not being able to play more than 20 minutes without crashing, to being able to play uninterrupted for 3 straight hours. Magnificent!

Unfortunately, now that I'm able to run the game that long, I'm running into severe hunger issues. I take it you have to rotate your crops somehow? Because I'm just getting fields full of weeds. I can't keep anything in storage long enough to get it cooked. Those gluttons eat anything as soon as it hits the ground.

17. Nicholas

Well, you saved me half an hour, sir. Thanks!

And I'm glad to hear everybody's stability has much improved. We're still fine tuning food and everything - I suggest foraging, farming, and hunting!

EDIT: Samut, if you have it, can you send us the replay for the game with 148 logs and an inability to gabion? Thanks!

18. Samut

Samut Member

Thank you, but I just happened to be looking at the supply ship stuff yesterday, so it was fresh in my mind.

Really, the events and scripts for CE are laid out so nicely, it's a blast to go through them and look for how things work. I'm going to poke away at a few ideas and present them as proof of concept if they work.

19. Played for five days with AZDO disabled and everything ran smoothly. I also managed to make a save without crashing and I'll try loading it up sometime tomorrow. Great work, Nicholas!

20. Samut

Samut Member

Sure, although like I said, this doesn't appear to have been an error - I just didn't have any logs close enough to where I was building Gabions. But here you go.

Attached Files: