REV 39A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Things To Look For

• Added foreign military units
    • Mines now output ore based on nearby ore deposits
    • Fishpeople leaders now wear hats
    Clockwork Empires rev 39A changelog

• added 3 foreign factions: Stahlmark, Republique, Novorus
    • added foreign military characters, soldiers + NCOs
    • added foreign military squads w/ mission logic
    • added foreign military intervention event to spawn foreign military squads
    • added icons for foreign flags & troops
    • general cleanup of jobs code (part 1)
    • replaced direct access to job memory via pointers with new, safer handle class
    • FIXED: memory leak when a job has a dependency which we later fail to do anything with
    • FIXED: various misspellings of words
    • FIXED: incorrect icon in recipe for Blunderbuss & broken icon for Musket
    • FIXED: scripterror in bandit joining colony event
    • FIXED: scripterror in "hearExcalamtion"
    • fishperson vandalism crisis will no longer fire if you're hostile w/ fishpeople
    • some events will auto-zoom camera to their location (polishing in-progress)
    • bandit corpse decision event only fired if their bodies are in your colony
    • bandits will now fight back against hostile animals
    • balance: reduced # of tents that bandits spawn with
    • fishpeople leaders now wear hats
    • Mineshafts will now output ore based on what oreNode clusters were nearby (mining the surface nodes doesn't affect the underground ore)
    • surface ore nodes will leave a mineralogical survey beacon which can be surveyed by a Naturalist to tell you what product it will output (this is pretty direct right now)
    • FIXED: error in bandit_wants_to_join_colony
    • FIXED: error when fishpeople groups are wiped out
    • fishperson hassle crisis will no longer fire if fishperson policy is set to hostile

KillerKidClever likes this.
  2. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

*immediately runs off to play Clockwork Empires*

*edit* I made a thing!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    dbaumgart, Unforked, Turbo164 and 2 others like this.
  3. Unforked

Unforked Member

Wow, on day two I had a group of bandits, a school of fish people, and a unit of hostile Mecharepublicains all appear within a span of five seconds of each other. Things are sure getting interesting!

4. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Member

Are the factions you're hostile with randomized? I was being attacked by Stahlmarkians in my playthrough while the Novorusians were my allies.

Edit: Also, the Fishpeople sent an envoy to my colony, however all it did was stand around. Are they supposed to do anything?

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. Samut

Samut Member

Awesome. Did that fish king guy get mad at a tree and hit it with a club?

6. At this point every update is improving the game by leaps and bounds. It's so much more engaging! Keep up the good work!

dbaumgart and Adrian Cartmale like this.
  7. Wolg

Wolg Member

They're a dedicated lot, those who worship at the altar of Celestial Order; set out a chapel for construction, complete with altar to build. Almost immediately, criminal vicar went to the ghost module, in the unconstructed building he couldn't possibly have been assigned to, and began Preaching In Chapel...

8. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

I've been getting some odd names this version, is it intentional?
    Cecil Grytphype-Thynne spring to mind, for one. Fine lad, really, except the name. Oh and all that "joining a cult" business.

Also, I guess maybe the Novurusian aren't as diciplined as Clockwork soldiers? You'll sometimes find conscripts and NCO's (Commisars?) melee attacking each other after spawning. They sort themselves out after a few hits, leaving only the blood on the ground before walking of. It happened when people spawned to Visit the Colony. If you click the little event notificer quickly, you can catch them trading a few hits before the simulation sorts out that they're allies? Maybe its a spacing issue where they spawn on top of each other and fall back to "Melee attack adjacent entity"?

Edit: It also happened randomly! Here's a picture of the conscript stabbing his superior. In the throat. With a bayonet. The superior has the same "Melee attack adjacent target".

It, uh... It doesn't do him a lot of good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

Also, here's an interesting little thing.

In order to test the new mines, I build one a little bit away from the colony. A group of Stalmarkhians (with fancy hats) spawned to attack, walked across the map and through the colony. They were attacked most of the way once the soldiers saw them, but kept "Walking Purposefully" towards the mine at the very outskirt of the colony. Once they actually arrived, then they started shooting the two colonists nearby.

So to sum:

Novyrussians are so ill-diciplined they murder their own superiors, whereas Stalmarkhians will walk through withering fussilades, losing 3 of their own, while mainting perfect fire dicipline among the ranks. They only open fire at the designated target (a barely constructed mine with little actual value but, I guess maybe it was enchroaching on claimed soil or something)

I'm not entirely sure which force I fear the most here.

(edit: Also, the Novyrussians walked off, sans dead NCO, and probably encountered something deadly because shortly after they went out of sight I got a little "You have fought off VII Pekhota of the Novorus Imperia!".

Yeah; that's going to be a diplomatic incident any day now)

(edit-edit: Here's a log. )

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  10. Wooster

Wooster Member

Right, so I want this game on Linux even more now. Gaslamp has recruited The Goons!!!

(For any confused Cousins over the water, Hercules Grytpype-Thynne was a character on The Goon Show, a long-running surrealist BBC radio comedy from the 1950s, which enjoys a dedicated following continuing to this day.)

TurboTodd and mailersmate like this.
  11. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Itunes > music > internet > comedy > abacus.fm
    Comedy gold

That is all.

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Needle-nardle-noo.

Wooster and mailersmate like this.
  13. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

If I recall, he was having a shouting match with a Militia fellow just offscreen.

14. Wolg

Wolg Member

Further thoughts after tonight's session...
    • Could we either stop auto-assigning lower class civ migrants to work crews, or provide a UI element to prevent a crew/squad from receiving such assignments? (It would be nice to not have to keep cleaning out vicar/naturalist led crews...)
    • When a building is designed and the nearby objects are auto-designated for removal, could like jobs be collected? So rather than twenty Chop Tree jobs, the list gets one Chop Trees job with 20 targets. (Though not sure how this will go with the new job area highlighting...)
    • Crews can often have more available people than tasks in their current job (particularly with auto-designate jobs, building construction, Clear Terrain from flattening, node mining, etc). If a worker asks the blackboard for a task on the crew's current job, but there isn't anything to do for it that someone else isn't already doing, could they be told to haul/stack instead if their crew settings allow hauling tasks? (Or burial duties, or clear terrain, or other such uncategorised tasks.) As well as getting more done, this could reduce the appearance of there being lazy workers (where the lazy trait isn't present... ;)).

Drumhead and berkstin like this.
  15. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Member

Please tell me there's a Count Moriarty who can spawn in the upper class to keep Hercules company! :)

16. FIbinachi

FIbinachi Member

One of the issues with collecting "Like jobs" into one job automatically is that for the most part its actually subtly in-effecient compared to having many more smaller jobs. You're generally limited to how many lower class workers you have with the newest updates and work-crews can only work one job at a time. A larger job with 20 entities takes way longer than 20 smaller jobs, because the larger one will have a maximum work-force responding of one workcrew (4 people? 5?), whereas 20 smaller jobs have a roof of... however many total workcrews you actually have.

I've tended towards always getting larger amounts of single work-crews recently with correspondingly fewer lower class workers (perhaps by random accident), so any form of "combine like tasks" optimization would actually end up making things less usable.

However, once you hit a larger bit of workers per workcrew, it might be really cool to have a "Combine all jobs of like type in this area to one job" thing you can click? It would mean not having to cancel a large segment of smaller jobs in case you just want one crew to mine, because you could consolidate them into one. I don't know if coding that is difficult with the system as is, but I imagine a drag-and-click with "Consolidate jobs" would fit easily into the radial menu as is.

17. Wolg

Wolg Member

Actually, I don't consider it to be an inefficiency; I'm not suggesting all similar tasks always glom together :). The tasks in question are triggered by the player trying to do something else -- construct a building -- of which the task is essentially a co-requisite (can happen simultaneously, but doesn't need to be done first).

Given the choice between having such tasks absorb ten work crews or one (depending on how the utility is calculated, of course) I'd rather have one stuck on it while the remaining nine are getting other things done. :)

18. berkstin

berkstin Member

YES!!!!!

Drumhead likes this.
  19. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

So, I placed a stockpile and the game crashed. Hope you guys can narrow it down :)

Attached Files:

20. Samut

Samut Member

The Tropico series of games incorporates this feature in a way that should be lifted wholesale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.