Remove item corruption attacks

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by gary, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Monk I was making a joke with the Stuff not lasting forever. :)
    I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude, or stupid, or never changing.

Also, until this game adds in Durability to items, stuff will actually last forever. :)
    Again, sorry, if you thought it was something else.

"I will have to disagree with you. Since your comment isnt one that would ever change I dont think." What exactly does that mean? I always admit when I'm wrong, and I change my mind when I am proven wrong. I'm not an Internet troll. :)

2. Monk

Monk Member

Well, its more of an opinion, not being right or wrong.

It sounded like you wanted items to have no way of breaking or getting worse. And I think it is not a problem for items to break or get corrupted.(though either way works for the game im sure)

The only way an item can break in the game I guess is corruption. Though those purple monsters it seems like are suppose to destory magic items but I never noticed it. And on level 10 corruption blobs maybe, though I never had anything corrupted.(also krong curses I guess. I had to take a ring off that I tried to krong on level 10. So I died with only 1 ring also. I had cleared rooms full of like 5 arch diggles then I was just finishing 1 off later in the level and did 2 attacks to fast and died in 2 rounds cause of a counter attack hehe)

(In nethack I remember items getting cursed and not being able to remove them. Or getting armor to dust on things I liked. Though if I find out early what does what can use the armor to dust on cursed stuff. It has been many years since I played a game of nethack though, and I know this is not nethack)

3. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

On the subject of mages being exempt, give some corruption monsters a Ranged Corruption attack.

4. stevebrixius

stevebrixius Member

According to the text on some of the dragons they can corrupt from ranged (if I'm reading it right). I suspect that it isn't working correctly due to a bug. Also I have never had any items corrupted except my equipped weapon. To avoid having my good weapon corrupted I just carry around an alternate weapon and equip it whenever there are mobs that corrupt on-screen.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Monk You misunderstood me.

I don't want the game to remove corruption affects, I just don't want them to be any stronger without an easier way to fix them.
    As for the purple enemies. They are the ones that corrupt your item.

Nothing in the game can destroy your items outright, just make them pretty much useless via corruption. I'd prefer it if the game stayed that way.

6. Misery

Misery Member

I agree with Monk. The moment you change/alter/mod ANYTHING in this, you should be completely barred from the leaderboards or achievements, until you go back to the normal version of the game.

Though really, "Remove corruption attacks or I wont play the game", from the OP, sounds alot like "WAAAAHHHHHH I cant figure out how to deal with these I rage quit!". Why not try learning the game a bit better, instead of cheating simply to cover up your lack of skill? I know that sounds mean, but there's no other way to put it.

The moment you go and make a change like that for that reason, you've just essentially admitted that the game has utterly defeated you and that you dont have the ability to beat it. So you change things.... cheat.... and then might "beat" the game, note the sarcastic quotes there.

Roguelikes are hard. It's that simple. And corruption attacks (normally called "rust" in these games) are a very common thing in them; most Roguelikes have enemies that can do this. You're supposed to try to figure out a way around them.

Amazes me how quick alot of players are to give up, these days. Not just in Roguelikes, but in most genres.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Misery
    Apparently, Misery, you're a bit too sadistic. You seem to love putting people down. Perhaps you'd feel at home, on 4chan. :)
    First off: Torchlight has a steam achievement for adding mods to your game. :)
    Don't be thinking adding mods are a bad things. Or you'll end up being nuked from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. :)
    Also, I've been playing games since 1986, at the age of 4. I've been playing Roguelikes since 1997. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Second: Being rude at people for wanting to change their game is rather mean spirited.
    The Corruption needs to have a counter. Until then, I see someone editing the files as okay.
    As I've stated before, this game was supposedly designed to be mod friendly. Why would you want to hate on people for doing what the game designers wanted, which was to edit files.

Otherwise they wouldn't be easily editable.
    Third: Corruption attacks should be countered by enchant weapons. Perhaps you need to play more roguelikes. :)
    Also, no it's not rust, because rust even in ADOM isn't as over-powered as corruption in this game.
    It can be countered/removed in ADOM.
    Angband has acid damage equipment, and it can be countered by acid immunity and enchant scrolls, and wearing artifacts. Also, Disenchantment, which requires resistance.

As it stands, in this game, Corruption cannot be countered. So, letting people fix it in the ways that they want, is not a "Whine, whine" thing.
    It's a way to counter an ability that has always been able to be countered.

Also, trying to figure a way around enemies that do certain types of damage? Perhaps you need to play Angband with Disenchantment resistance. :)

8. Thermos

Thermos Member

Agreeing with Misery here. Don't see any problem with corruption attacks. Use throwing weapons, crossbow bolts or magic to deal with them and you'll be fine. One shouldn't melee Magicky Golems/Magic Dragons just as one shouldn't whack Floating Eyes and then whine about being murdered by newts. Wrong decisions should lead to severe consequences, and letting something like a potion of purity to just easily undo the earlier mistake pretty much makes corruption attacks pointless. This is a roguelike, not a MMORPG; Your equipment can, and will get messed up if you're not careful.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Thermos You lose your argument for not realizing Roguelikes all have a way to counter corrupted equipment.
    I hate to resort to the lose your argument line, but it's true, especially because I KEEP POINTING IT OUT! Sorry, but I get a bit irritated that people miss the blatently obvious.

Corruption must be countered in this game. If you don't think it should, you are not a player of Roguelikes. :)

Also, comparing Corruption to Paralysation attacks is wrong on several levels. Paralysation will kill you. Corruption won't. It's not Chaos. :)
    Also, Paralysation resistance or 10 AC in Angband = Beat those eyes up.

Comparing the two is like comparing being shot in the face to being irritated by sand in your eye.

10. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Ah yes, the 'no true rougelike-player' argument.

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@J-Factor With all due respect, that is not valid here.
    Corruption should be countered. It makes no sense to add something such as that, without having it counter-able.
    Especially since everyone for it keeps putting out roguelikes as examples. :)
    It's a bit hypocritical of you to say I'm bad for what I say, when I literally am countering their arguments based on their own examples.

If they want to argue it should be in because of it being in roguelikes, shouldn't I be allowed to post counterarguments based on roguelikes? Ones that prove that they shouldn't use roguelikes as examples?

You are literally saying I am not allowed at all, ever, to counter any argument. Please explain that to me. Why can I not be allowed to use their examples against them, hmm?

Why am I not allowed to explain my view? Why am I not allowed to prove them wrong?

Now, if they will try to reasonably discuss things, I will be happy to discuss things.
    I shall leave with a quote. "Why do you say these things to me, when you know I will kill you for it?" General Zod.

12. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

My reply was in reference to this statement:

<blockquote>Corruption must be countered in this game. If you don't think it should, you are not a player of Roguelikes. :)</blockquote>

Which is just nonsense. It's clear that both sides of the argument have experience with roguelikes.

I'm sick of every suggestion being immediately compared to every other roguelike and not judged on its own merits. Can we discuss what is wrong with the corruption <i>game mechanic</i> instead of waging a pointless war of 'who has played the most roguelikes'?

I'd support corruption not being able to be purified if it was easier to <b>avoid</b> corruption. Right now corruption, like countering, overly affects Warriors and is completely ignored by Mages. Corruption should be a punishment for mistakes, not just something you have to live with. Some ideas in this regard:
    <ul>
    <li>Let orbs be corrupted.
    <li>Add potions/wands/etc. that give you protection from corruption for some period.
    <li>Let players change which stats are corrupted without removing the overall number of negative stats (because certain stats can make or break a character).
    </ul>

---
    And no, I'm not literally saying you're not allowed to counter any argument. This is me <i>literally</i> saying that: "You are not allowed to counter any argument" (Me, 2011).

13. Misery

Misery Member

@DavidB1111

I wasnt actually TRYING to be rude, but looking back on it, perhaps it did come out that way. I musta posted that before I'd had my caffiene for the day; I'll apologize for that at least. I do get a bit snappy at times.

However, I stand by what I said otherwise. This is NOT a genre for people that cant handle the game as it was created. Yes, I get that the game is moddable, and hey, that's great. Whatever. But modding it to make it easier simply because you cannot handle it normally is.... well, it's sorta blowing some of the point of the genre. It makes me think of players from the NES days, that'd use the ancient Game Genie to make Mario jump higher so they could beat Super Mario Bros. And really, I have no sympathy for players that cant handle difficulty of that sort. There's way too many games out there that hold your hands as it is. if this one is too hard, maybe it's time to play something else. But I really think most players would get more satisfaction and enjoyment if they simply learn to beat whatever is clobbering them.

Also, you seem to make alot of assumptions that simply because other Roguelikes do something, THIS one HAS to do it. You bet I've played the other Roguelikes you've mentioned; this IS one of my two favorite genres, after all (the other being shmups). That doesnt whatsoever change my opinion of THIS one. Mechanics from those games do not necessarily have a place here, and that's up for the devs to decide. Right now, there IS no anti-corruption item or spell. This may, perchance, be the way the devs intended it. It may be an important part of the game balance to them.

The point, is simply because counter items exist in other roguelikes, does not whatsoever mean this one has to or even SHOULD do it. And really, there ARE other Roguelikes out there that do things this way; not every Roguelike is ADOM or Angband or whatever. Look at some of the more obscure ones that arent just trying to copy the main group, and you might see what I mean. Some of those games do things *very* differently. And with Dredmor, it's all up to the developers of Dredmor. They dont need to do something because other games do.... that you assume so strikes me as a bit odd. Really though, stop comparing it to Angband or ADOM or any of those, because the comparisons make absolutely no sense. They're completely different games. That's one of the things I love about Dredmor. It's not just trying to be the 85265th variant of Crawl or Hack or whatever. It is it's own thing. Alot of the Roguelikes I consider to be the best of the best share that quality.

And really? Even when playing a warrior type, it's SERIOUSLY not *that* hard to avoid corruption. My character (yes, a pure warrior. Used swords.) that I last went through the game with (died on level 8 or 9 because I did something incredibly stupid) ran into a few bazillionty of those obnoxious purple dragons and purple golems. I think I got hit with, at max, THREE corruption attacks. I had a backup sword, too, in case my current one got fried, but... yeah. THREE corruption strikes was not enough to make me have to discard it. You just have to be careful, and think out your moves, and yes, you can totally avoid corruption even with a warrior type. Oh, dont get me wrong, it's *annoying*.... floor 7 is a total snot with a warrior.... but it's still doable.

Also, please dont do the "I've played more Roguelikes than you" or the "I've been gaming longer than you" thing... frankly, it's a little silly. If you wanna play THAT way, I'll give you my own honest stats: I've been gaming since the age of three, back in '84. Started with the 2600 (still have one!), and have moved up from there. I dont recall when I found the Roguelike genre; but I've been into it for quite awhile. You name it, I've probably at least tried it. I've been into super-difficult games for a long time indeed though; stuff like Mushihime-sama (and it's sequel Futari), and other hyper-difficult shmups; and I get drawn into the Roguelikes BECAUSE they tend to be extremely hard. I still often end up beating them though, so yes, I know what I'm doing. I also have absolutely stupid amounts of free time on my hands due to not actually needing a job, which leads to more time to learn these sorts of things.

There. See? I can play that game too.

But does it make me a better Dredmor player? Does it make me more knowledgeable than so-and-so about THIS game? No! All that crap means a whole lot of squat. It doesnt MATTER when I started gaming, when you started gaming. Doesnt matter who has played the most roguelikes, it really doesnt. Not trying to be rude with this bit specifically, mind you; I'm just making a point, since you seemed quite keen on speaking of such things in your reply to me. No offense, but it seemed a little childish.

Also, yes, I'm going to keep calling it "rust". I know it's technically "corruption", but I've played *alot* of games that use the term "rust", and it's sorta burned into my brain. I keep just automatically calling it that even if I dont mean to. It doesnt matter anyway, really. It's just terminology.

This all being said, if the devs DO decide to add some anti-rust effect/potions/abilities/whatever, they wont get any complaints from me. It's up to them. If they think that'd fit the balance, great. But I dont think it's a very critical thing, and I wouldnt complain one bit if they never added these things.

But who knows? Like I said above: It's THEIR game, and they can do it the way THEY want to.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Misery Thank you. I actually mean that.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain it, and not be extremely angry at me.
    I understand your view points.
    Yours and J-Factor both.

I think the main thing is, I get a bit crazy over some normally simple things, for that I apologize.
    I think we should all wait to see how the creators of this game design it. I'll leave it up to them, after all, they did create the game. :)

And yes, editing a file and making the game easier, not always a good thing.
    I still stand by the fact that some people like to have fun.
    And in games, I like to have fun. If I get to a hard part, not corruption here, but a really hard part in a game, and I get stumped, I will resort to looking up cheats for the game to get past it.

Or in the case of a Strategy/RPG like Disgaea, I will buy the Strategy guide, and read it to find the right items for the job.
    After all, you kind of need a guide to fight Baal and his 200 million health.

15. Misery

Misery Member

@DavidB1111

Much the same to you, I think. It's refreshing to see someone on there that bothers to actually read my overly long ramblings and then think about them BEFORE answering. So many people just go "Bah, TL;DR. YOU'RE WRONG, obviously!". I'm aware I get a bit too ranty though.... cant help it, never could. So yes, thanks for actually reading it and thinking about it.

I like to have fun in games too, but I guess my views on the matter do tend to differ a bit from the norm; if a game isnt challenging me, I get bored. And it would never occur to me to use cheat codes or such... I always feel like, if I cant beat it with my own strength, I must not be all that strong, that sort of thing. I know that's not the norm these days, but it's just the way I am. Though I admit it tends to make me arguementive on some topics; the idea of making a game (whatever it is, be it Dredmor or something else) *easier* than it already might be just BOTHERS me, for instance. And thus, I get a bit snappy, because Im really hotheaded.

Again though, thanks for reading and thinking before replying... on the internet, that's a bloody rare quality, lol.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Misery I know it is a rare quality. That's why I try to do it. To respect people for the time they put in typing out the Epic of Gilgamesh. :)
    And I do understand where you're coming from.

I think it probably comes down to not everyone has the same style of play, and none of us should tell other people how they themselves should play the game. :)
    I'll try to be more pleasant in the future.