Regimental Chess

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by SangerZonvolt, Apr 17, 2014.

1. SangerZonvolt

SangerZonvolt Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Neat. I used to play all sorts of chess variants, but that kind of stuff literally gives me headaches nowadays lol. (I got a headache just playing speed chess against my nephew a few weeks ago. Just watching the video though made my head spin. You caught me about 20 years too late lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, have you ever played "Conquest" or "4-player Conquest"? IT's not chess, but it's chess-like. One of the screwy things about it that I used to love (but would give some of my friends headaches) was that each turn, you get 20 moves (though there are ways to extend that). There were also units that could carry other units.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_(board_game)
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67/conquest
    There were 2 and 4 player variants with different boards.

Anyway, just mentioning it because this reminded me of it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Go is where it's at :cool: I was 15k last time I played, but have probably slipped back down since... Never could get into Chess...

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. Godwin

Godwin Member

I always wanted to get into Go, but never found opponents when without internet, and didn't get reminded when I finally had access.

I've played Mahjong on weird japanese sites that were mainly about playing for money though (and also poker on similar sites, but that's a really different game that I'd not quickly associate with the likes of chess and Go. Mahjong I would) :)

I miss Mahjong... Maybe I'll fire up my four winds Mah Jong again right now!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I had a friend who was into 'Go', but he was the kind of friend who really didn't want to teach the game (either that or he was just a piss-poor teacher). I'd ask him all sorts of questions that he didn't really want to answer (two that he could never answer adequately was 'how do you win'? and 'when is this damned game going to end?' lol)

He didn't instill in me any great love for the game. To the contrary, he made me hate it lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

This is a really good tutorial; http://www.playgo.to/iwtg/en/ If you want a few lessons then just PM me and I'll run you through a couple of games on a KGS if you want. :)

It ends when neither of you can see a valid move that gives you any "points", it's scored by counting up all the empty (surrounded) intersections on the board, and all of the captured stones, the player with more wins.

[​IMG]
    Example of a finished game, the walls surround area, any stones in those areas that couldn't possibly make a live group (a group that cannot be entirely surrounded on every space) are counted as dead, each x is a point.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

You have to realize that when I was trying to learn, I was probably about 11 or 12 years old -- I'm 54 now. So I kind of had time to make peace with not knowing how to play (and kind of lost any desire to learn back when my friend was using me as a punching bag in the game lol).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Haha, fair enough! If you ever change your mind. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, this is not actually a game, but it's a tool that you can use to play board and card games online. In theory, it's moddable to allow the play of all sorts of different tabletop games. I've been dabbling with the tutorial until got stuck with one of the steps that I couldn't get to work (so it's still a work in progress). I'm guessing that it MIGHT support a game like regimental chess (with some work). It certainly could support other 'fairy chess' games (the official term for chess variants that either use different pieces or different rules). I bet you could play dice chess, and reverse chess. Possibly it would also support games like Russian Backgammon and a few other Backgammon variants I'm aware of. Not sure of Team Chess or Kriegspiel (the first because it involves 2+ boards and 2 chess clocks, the second because it involves a judge and double-blind play) I bet, though, that you could play something like Knightmare chess (if you program in the cards).
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/

Nettle Soup and OmniaNigrum like this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.