Recommend a Lightweight Laptop or Tablet for an Elderly person

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

My mom is visually impaired and has been using an old-fangled PDA for decades now that she loves and knows how to use, but it's dying and I can't find a replacement for it. Her primary use for it is storing phone numbers, addresses and assorted miscellaneous related notes and info, as well as a calendar for appointments and birthdays. It would be great if she could sync her data with her home laptop (which is too big and heavy for her to put in her pocketbook).

She needs something that is very light, can display info in a large-sized font, and PREFERABLY has a keyboard built in, but that's not a deal-breaker (her old PDA has an easily readable keyboard).

I personally have an IPad 2, but that's too heavy. A smartphone probably would have too small of a screen and would be too hard for her to use because of that. Any specific ideas?

2. Tycho

Tycho Member

what was her old PDA? Blackberry?

My mom is buying an ASUS Transformer Prime (tf-201-b1) tablet that's about 2.3 lbs, 10" screen and can use a docking station with keyboard. Can't imagine an iPad 2 being too heavy but w/e.

She mentions that the tf-101 is bad news due to battery overheat problems, so steer clear of that.

3. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

An Acer Aspire One netbook. Tough, lightweight, decently powerful, affordable.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Her old PDA was in the Sharp OZ series don't recall the exact model number (I'd have to look at it) -- it was VERY user friendly, had a built-in keyboard, and an easy-to-read text-only display. You used to be able to get them on E-Bay still, at least up until a couple of years ago. There are other in the OZ series on E-Bay, but they have smaller displays. There are still a small handful of companies that make electronic organizer/PDAs like that (Royal, for example), but they generally suck, especially for someone who's visually impaired. Also, they generally do not synch with PCs, except with proprietary software.

I saw an Aspire One which looks like it may be too heavy for her (over 3 pounds). Both of the suggestions seem to be heavier than the IPad 2 so I don't think she'll like it. I know that I get annoyed carrying around the IPad, and I'm not exactly elderly yet. She'd have to carry it in her pocketbook, which is already a bit heavy.

I think a tablet may be the way to go because they can be under a pound. I've seen really tiny laptops but that was a few years ago, and have yet to see anything on that scale recently.

One thing I'm considering for her is a Kindle Fire, but I'd like to ask about it from someone who's actually used it (how easy is it to type -- the IPad 2 is not terrible, but it's bigger, so...). I have an older Kindle which is nice and light, but the Fire is only a bit heavier than that and would be easier for her to see the display.

I would bring her to a store so she could try out various things, but she's not very mobile nowadays (she uses a walker, or I'd have to go somewhere they have wheelchairs, if it were a very big store).

5. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

If you want a tablet, maybe an Asus Transformer would fit the bill? I take it Android is perfectly fine.

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That actually looks pretty cool. Thanks. It's a bit lighter than the IPad (almost all tablets are) and it has a keyboard, so looks great to me. And the price isn't out of the ballpark. Thanks :cool:.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

iPad 2's only 1.3 pounds according to amazon. :confused:

Maybe you should just wait? There's rumors about Apple releasing a mid-size tablet in the next year or so. If that happens it could be the perfect option for her in terms of size and weight. I'd definitely suggest an Apple device with a retina display-- I have really bad astigmatism and nearsightedness and it is so much better than a non-retina display.

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

When I had typed that, I had thought I had seen a model that was only 1 pound. But that may actually have been the keyboard/docking port, and not included the tablet.

In any case, we're definitely not buying the Transformer. I handed my mom my IPad and it was too heavy for her liking. The weights are similar enough that I know she won't like it.

We're not making a quick decision in any case. She told me that her Sharp Wizard is still working, just that the display is fading. She's concerned but not in a hurry. Those things were really made to last (years ago, I actually accidentally put mine in the washing machine, and it still worked -- the LEDs had lines through them but it was still readable).

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

10. Tycho

Tycho Member

difficult to imagine 1.3lbs being too much, but...

oh wow that is an oldie. Reminds me of the Sharp Zaurus one of my teachers had way back when - 80C186 processor, built in 9600 baud modem. Heh.

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

No modem on this but it does have a serial interface to synch with a computer (unfortunately it's only compatible with some proprietary software). That said, it's very user-friendly, especially for the elderly (I think modern developers could learn a thing or two from certain older products. The keyboard has nice big letters, and the keys are spaced so that it is difficult to press the wrong key, plus it's very lightweight. Modern devices that are around this size really suck for the elderly and handicapped.

You do have to realize that my mom uses a walker or a cane (for short distances) to get around. So that's why when I say 'lightweight, it has to be VERY lightweight. A few companies still make pocket PCs, but they require Stylus use, and even I can't use those (I tried once and it made my fingers seize up).