Rebalancing and Opinions of my Mod "Crafting Guru"

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Byron, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Byron

Byron Member

Okay here's my mod and so far it seems to scale well when i play it on dwarven moderation and going rogue difficulties but that's not the point. What do you guys think of this skill and is it too overpowered or to underpowered?

Quick run through on what my skill does

Gives a net gain of 6 burliness, 20 hp and 4 nimbleness, 6 trap mastery and 3 trap sight 6 wand crafting, 6 alchemy, 6 smithing, 6 tinkering when maxed.

Abilities
    Gem transmutation: allows you to randomize a gem into another gem
    Smith lock picks: allows you to make 3 lock picks with every use
    Enchant items: allows you to randomize artifact stats
    Also for those who want to take a look at my mod are free to do so, if you want to use it or change it please leave me some credit.​
    ( Edit/ Update )​
    Added 1 recipe to crafting list (Craft lock pick mold) <-- credit to Aegho will be included for the picture and script regarding this, as he gave me permission under those conditions.​
    Removed all Spells in my mod except for transmutation and added;​
    __________________________________________________________________________________________​
    Reagent Finder: randomly finds salt,chalk,black powder,saltpeter, iron ingot​
    The One Guru: Gives a random +1 buff to a random single craft on the list. ex +1 smith random or +1 tinkering random etc.​

Attached Files:

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Six to all crafting skills is certainly OP all by itself. Not that I mind. I rather hate having to choose between crafting skills, so this is useful.

To be clear, to get the same benefits this offers you would need 5 different skills in the base game. (And ~15 skill points.)

Enhancing an item too? Like a skill based Kronging? Wow. I dare say this makes it a cheat too. :)

3. Byron

Byron Member

Hahaha, ok so far on steam a guy commented to remove the crafting skills to +4 in all trees and remove some of the trap stats, i guess i could remove the kronging item enchant roller or put something else there thanks for the quick reply.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. Byron

Byron Member

Ok, now that i got a good idea on how unbalanced this is xD i thought of an idea! anyone know how to make a spell that randomly gives me +1 to a crafting skill? for say 5 turns should be sufficient.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Take a look at Roguish Renovations.FAXPAX. It has an item that gives +1 to each crafting skill for a dozen turns or so. (And it stacks too.) Just a sec. I will find it and post the code.

*Edit* It was FAXPAX.
    Code:
    <item name="Rama's Banana" iconFile="sprites/banana_1.png" level="6" overrideClassName="Banana">
        <description text="BANANANANANANA, BANANANANANANA, BANANAMAAAAAAAN!" />
        <food hp="3" effect="Crafty Buff" />
        <price amount="777" />
        </item>
    And the code for the buff itself is this:
    Code:
    <spell name="Crafty Buff" type="target" icon="skills/smith_armour32.png" wand="0">
        <buff useTimer="1" time="30" self="1" stackable="0" resistable="0" icon="skills/smith_armour64.png" smallicon="skills/smith_armour32.png" >
            <secondarybuff id="19" amount="1" /> <!-- smithing -->
            <secondarybuff id="20" amount="1" /> <!-- tinkering -->
            <secondarybuff id="21" amount="1" /> <!-- alchemy -->
            <secondarybuff id="23" amount="1" /> <!-- Wandcrafting -->
            </buff>
        <description text="You feel like you could make anything!" />
        </spell>
    Uh-oh... I just noticed it is not supposed to stack. I have not tried it in a few versions. So it may have changed, or the stacking could be that old bug again...

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes, the stacking is "that old bug again". And that "old bug" is something that appeared in this version, so it's not really that old.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Byron

Byron Member

Ok, I got alot of good suggestions here and i'm working on my mod bit by bit.

Anyways so far i need to find out.
    how to transmute Iron into lock picks
    buff that randomizes between 1 crafting tree (example just smithing or alchemy etc..)
    possible different abilities to include and maybe remove stat bonus from this skill set all together (need input on that).

P.S thanks for the code omninegro! i appreciate it, i'll see what i can do with it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Aegho

Aegho Member

For the lockpicks look at my crafter's helper mod. Basically you'll have to make a crafting recepie that makes a potion that you can drink to call a spell that summons lockpicks.
    For the randomizing, use triggerfromlist and list a buff each for the different skills as options in it. If you want it to be exclusive, you can use removebuffbyname to remove the other buffs.
    I'd say remove all stats except for those relating to traps. (IE: ditch burliness, nimbleness, hp). Then again it's your cheatmod so...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Byron

Byron Member

Thanks for the help Aegho, although i didn't intend this as a mod to cheat because it sprouted from an idea. An idea where i only need one skill to craft things not 4 which are limited in use based on character focus. Though in the end now that i look at it yes it's a cheat mod so I'll change it and remake it into an actual skill.

(Edit)
    Removed all stats except those regarding traps for a total of 3 trap mastery and 1 trap sight.
    (Edit2)
    Aegho Is it ok if i use your mod in context with mine? (lock pick part only) I will give you full credit for your part of the mod and admin rights/recognition on steam. If no then i wont use your mod.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Byron

Byron Member

Anyone know how to make a skill that generates a random reagent type item? ie spell when casts gives player 1 random reagent? Also anyone have an example of how to make a trigger from list script to randomize a buff between a-d (a)smithing, (b)tinkering, (c)alchemy, (d)wand crafting?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You have to make a list of them. Take a look at this example I stole shamelessly from Essence's CES mod.
    Code:
    <spell name="Happy Find" type="self"> 
           <effect type="spawnitemfromlist">
        <option name="Aqua Vitae"/>
        <option name="Aqua Regia"/>
        <option name="Aqua Fortis"/>
        <option name="Burnt Out Wand"/>
        <option name="Leather Boots"/>
        <option name="Silver Ring"/>
        <option name="Gold Ring"/>
        <option name="Platinum Ring"/>    
        <option name="Night Cap"/>
        <option name="Fairywodger"/>
        <option name="Inky Hoglantern"/>
        <option name="Sewer Brew"/>
        <option name="Cheese"/>
        <option name="Plastic Ingot"/>
        <option name="Steel Ingot"/>
        <option name="Rough Iron Sword"/>
        <option name="Rough Iron Mace"/>
        <option name="Rough Iron Axe"/>
        <option name="Sliced Bread"/>
        <option name="Leather Cap"/>
      </effect>
    </spell>

<spell name="Happier Find" type="self"> 
        <option name="Acidium Salis"/>
        <option name="Oil of Vitriol"/>
        <option name="Potion of Mana"/>
        <option name="Potion of Healing"/>
        <option name="Sapphire"/>
        <option name="Diamond"/>
        <option name="Bituminous Coal"/>
        <option name="Black Pearl"/>    
        <option name="Pyrite Sun"/>
        <option name="Diggle Egg"/>
        <option name="Greedy Blungecap"/>
        <option name="Potion of Purity"/>
        <option name="Rough Steel Sword"/>
        <option name="Rough Steel Mace"/>
        <option name="Rough Steel Axe"/>
        <option name="Bronze Ingot"/>
        <option name="Brass Ingot"/>
        <option name="Electrum Ingot"/>
        <option name="Spring-loaded Power Core"/>
        <option name="Voltaic Cell"/>
      </effect>
    </spell>

<spell name="Happiest Find" type="self"> 
        <option name="Potion of Restoration"/>
        <option name="Hand Grenade"/>
        <option name="Nzappa Zap"/>
        <option name="Porta-Still"/>
        <option name="Steel Sword"/>
        <option name="Steel Mace"/>
        <option name="Steel Axe"/>
        <option name="Emerald"/>    
        <option name="Ruby"/>
        <option name="Hordratic Lutefisk Cube"/>
        <option name="Acid Flask"/>
        <option name="Steel Ingot"/>
        <option name="Potion of Invisibility"/>
        <option name="Dire Sandwich"/>
        <option name="Acid Bottle Bolt"/>
        <option name="Firey Wand"/>
        <option name="Kilt"/>
        <option name="Thieving Gloves"/>
        <option name="Dandy Black Velvet Boots"/>
        <option name="Trapper's Toolbelt"/>
      </effect>
    </spell> 

<spell name="Arbitrary Klepto Finds Treasure In Unexpected Place" type="self">
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/goosplatA/goosplatA" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="pong" />
        <effect type="triggerfromlist">
            <option name="Happy Find"/>
            <option name="Happier Find"/>
            <option name="Happiest Find"/>
            </effect>
        </spell>
    Just add your reagents there in place of the current stuff and change the name and you have it ready to go. It only spawns one per time you call it.

*Edit*
    The Compleat Essential Skills

I edited it again to have the whole part you would need as an example. Shame on me giving only part of the code I shamelessly stole from CES... :p

12. Byron

Byron Member

Thanks alot for the quick response and help! you've been a godsend haha, That aside,
    Changing the script to what i want to use sorta sounds like a form of plagiarism should i contact the owner of complete essential skills if i am to use their script?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I cannot actually speak for Essence, but for now I say just use it. If he objects we can work out another way. (I would bet my left *Expletive Deleted* that he will not object at all though.)

Byron likes this.
  14. Byron

Byron Member

Ok, cool. Sorry for the noob reply but for;

<buff useTimer="1" time="5" self="1" stackable="0" resistable="0" icon="skills/smith_armour64.png" smallicon="skills/smith_armour32.png" >

which value is the timer for buff cool down and buff duration?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Cooldown is somewhere else. "time" is used to mark the duration of the buff.
    In this particular case, though, it is assumed that the buff itself (not the spell that puts it on you, but the buff) has a cooldown equal to its duration, since it's non-stackable.

OmniNegro and Byron like this.
  16. Byron

Byron Member

Thanks for the fast post! so how would i modify the time of the spell? or what would i have to write to make a timer for the spell?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

To make a timer for the spell, you'd have to add a 'downtime="x"' bit to the main spell declaration, right behind its name or somewhere there. It only works for skill-granted abilities, though, and it won't work if the spell in question uses mana (unless you make a workaround using a dummy buff and the "requirebuffontrigger" bit).

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. Byron

Byron Member

Ughh my mod is such a mess now i don't even know what i'm doing anymore does anyone mind looking at it?
    Im trying to
    1. Set a down time of 180 to my skill reagent finder
    2. set a down time of 100 to my skill The One Guru
    3. make this mod up loadable to steam.

to anyone that helps i'll enroll your credits on both my cheat mod and balanced mod.
    Thanks for the help up to now guys and if this is asking too much thanks anyways :D.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

So, from the beginning to the end:

Re.1: I don't see this ability anywhere, but generally speaking it goes like this:
    1. The skill (or monster's death, or whatever is supposed to trigger it) triggers a dummy ability.
    2. Then, that dummy ability calls "reagent finder" with the trigger effect getting 'requirebuffonnottrigger="1"' and 'requirebuffonnottriggername="(name of the dummy buff)"'; that way, it'll only trigger if the dummy buff is not there
    3. Then, "reagent finder" calls the aforementioned dummy buff, which has a duration of 180 turns.
    And the code will be something like this:
    Code:
    <spell name="Reagent Finder Trigger" downtime="180" type="self" icon="[whatever is it supposed to be]">
    <description text="[Whatever is supposed to be there]"/>
    <effect type="trigger" requirebuffonnottrigger="1" requirebuffonnottriggername="Reagent Finder Cooldown" spell="Reagent Finder"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Reagent Finder" type="self">
    <!-- Here you can insert the desired effect -->
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Reagent Finder Cooldown"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Reagent Finder Cooldown" type="self">
    <buff useTimer="1" time="180" allowstacking="0" icon="[whatever is it supposed to be]" smallicon="[whatever is it supposed to be]" self="1">
        </buff>
    <description text="Reagent Finder is cooling down."/>
    </spell>
    Though, if it is called by a skill, simply calling it with a 'downtime="180"' bit in the declaration will work.

Re.2: You have this bit of code in "spellDB.xml":
    Code:
    <spell name="Enchanter" downtime="80" type="item" consumeItem="0" consumeItemType="artifact" icon="skills/wizard/spell_white8_32.png">
    It already has a cooldown of 80, so to make it into a cooldown of 100 change it into this:
    Code:
    <spell name="Enchanter" downtime="100" type="item" consumeItem="0" consumeItemType="artifact" icon="skills/wizard/spell_white8_32.png">
    Re.3: Use Glazed's mod validator and make sure that there are no errors. If it's clear, then pack it into a .zip archive using normal settings (just like you did with the file you uploaded to the forum), and launch DoD (the game itself, not the Steam shortcut to it) with the "-publisher" command. It should show you the menu from which you can choose to upload your mods.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Byron

Byron Member

Oh sorry i thought i uploaded my latest work already ill try again, i get a general idea of where your pointing me but this might help clear any misunderstandings

Attached Files:

OmniNegro likes this.