Random Comments from me!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Gremladin, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Gremladin

Gremladin Member

I'm not a new convert to Dungeons of Dredmor but I am pretty new to this forum, because it didn't occur to me look somewhere for a forum that wasn't the Steam one for some reason. But that aside, I'm glad that I found this place and I'm looking forward to lurking here some more! ;P

That said, I have a couple of things that I wanted to mention. I love this game and I would love to see you guys continue to put out more expansions. I know that we don't want the game to go the way of a Paradox game with their umpteen DLCs that don't mean anything, but the expansions that you guys have been putting out make a lot of sense and add alot to the game. I'd be perfectly willing to continue buying these expansions, even though I don't play Dredmor to the exclusion of everything else like some of you. I'm a completionist in my purchasing of games as well, so I like to have all the expansions/DLC for a game even if I don't play it that much (yes my wife yells at me for spending too much money all the time! ;) ). Even if it's not the main focus of the company in favor of Odin, I just really would like to see you guys continue to put out small expansions for this game... even just adding more skills is a big deal. Thanks so much for all of that!

Next, I would love it if I could buy the game without DRM. Desura is fine, I suppose, though I wouldn't mind being able to purchase it through the Humble Store. And yes, I noticed that you can get the base game there, but none of the expansions are available there... and Desura doesn't even have CoTW yet. I have several computers that I use at any given time (including three different laptops and my desktop) and I would love to have copies on all of those computers. Yes, they're all personal computers, by the way, I'm a bit of a tech hoarder. I have everything in Steam, but that means that my main desktop gets the game and that's all... which is quite sad.

Anyway... just wanted to also note that I'm loving the game and what you guys are doing with it. I'm a pretty big roguelike fan, even if I'm absolutely terrible at them, and I think the system that you guys have developed is awesome! Great work and please, like I said before, keep it up for Dredmor! Don't forget about us loyal DoD'ers.

Edit: I did notice the news article about getting the expansions up on Humble Store, and that's great... but here's another post in support of it! ;P

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Welcome to our humble forum. That being said, don't trust Kazeto, no matter what he/she says. It's a nefarious person and should not be trusted under any circumstances.

Right now they aren't planning to release any, because they don't want them to be forced and of low quality. But in the future, if they get enough ideas, who knows...

There's no DRM, actually. Really, none at all.

Even if you buy it on Steam. You just need to be able to run the executable file without using Steam (which is a matter of knowing where Steam is holding those), and it's possible to just move the downloaded game from Steam's folder to any other location and it will work.

3. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

So you are a masochist, then? SPUF are one of the worst forums I happen to know. :)

Also, welcome here!

4. Gremladin

Gremladin Member

See? This is the kind of advice that I really needed. That's fantastic!

This is too bad... but it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to come up with a bunch of ideas that you could put into an expansion. Something that I think would be neat to see is if they take a bunch of the skills that the community has come up with and put them into the game officially, even if they didn't charge for it, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to put community created skills into a game when the skills are already there. ;P It sounds like that would be awesome and I'm always up for more official skill choices.

My experience with using mods started last week when I installed a bunch of mods to Baldur's Gate 2 only to have it completely stop working and I'm going to have to reinstall it now. (sigh)

This, I didn't know... that's really neat and very good information! Thank you so much for that! I had assumed that since I bought them on Steam, they would only work if I was enabled on Steam... so awesome!

Pardon me if I don't know the acronym SPUF?

5. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

Steam-Powered User Forum

And yeah, they are pretty wretched. Also, YHTNTEP was a community mod fueled expansion like you described. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to another one, but it's not for me to decide.