Quick Question or Two

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Aquaman, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

First:

When making a mod that uses an image/sprite from the core game how would one access that file?

Would one need to copy the desired image or sprites into the mod, or perhaps a method of referencing to the files location?

Second:

Does anyone know if the game can read animated images to use as sprites/images? For example, files with a ".gif" extension?

Or are the only working sprites those included in the core game, or those designated within the ".xml" files.

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just use the path of the file. And no, but it will read a series of indexed .png images organized in a .xml (look in fem_hero to see what I mean).

3. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

Would referencing to the core files create compatibility issues though?

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

It doesn't on my Mac. I do it extensively in Interior Dredmorating... which admittedly two people are having crashes when using it that I can't replicate. So I suppose there's a possibility of that varying by platform, but for Macs at least making such a reference is no trouble. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in Windows or Linux, but to be safe, you could just include a copy in your mod, I guess.

Note that images from RotDG would probably only be available if someone had RotDG installed. Including such images in your mod is probably a dubiously grey area since they could then be used by someone who hadn't paid for it. I wouldn't advise doing so, but I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

5. Samupo

Samupo Member

It works in Windows at least with skills and items, but I think there are no problems on other type of images. As in Linux capitalizing characters is important make sure it's all written as in your DoD folder.

6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Yeah, we don't support gifs. The sprs are a bit outdated, so I recommend sticking to the png series w/ xml definitions.

... actually, I think everyone answered the questions already. But I'll confirm that the answers look pretty correct!