Quick opinion please on last skill

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by ElJefe, May 9, 2014.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

Ok here's the build. Now, dont say you can go the distance on throwing build. Thrown creates so many objects and the vending machines provide a several hundred on first 2-3 levels to stock up.

Killer Vegan - maxed
    Unarmed - maxed
    Throwing - maxed
    Perception - (up to not including eye lasers)
    Smithing - 1 off from maxing to get maximum level of higher end thrown quantity
    Arful Dodger - you know, having made other builds and died for 80% being overtired reasons after work, I can say that Artful dodger doesnt get enough love. I am thinking that with killer vegan huge +Nimbleness it will be not hard to get over 100 dodge. I had it before by level 8 once. Second sight has +5 dodge on it for when i encounter high EDR monsters (looks like max is 16 with average of 11-13 at most levels 13-15)

So question is:

What should be my last skill? I was thinking:
    1. Fleshcrafting - Mage skill adds Sagicity for the Vegan's circle thing. I have seen that thing rock the house on mages with a simple single staff bc of +magic power
    2. WandLore - this is what I really would want to have but i dont think i will have enough time to make it viable. It has a lot of MagicRes and Ethereal damage and can make healing wands easily and other utilities
    3. Fungal arts - pretty cool of course and adds to nimbleness
    4. Communism - warrior strength but i wont be maxing it at all so that's not a big bonus, the healing and the free stealth skill and probably general winter make it a nice choice
    5. archaeology - I figure that this could be great way to add damage to stealth gear. Only issue is no escape aside from knightly leap. I can store inky's and vanishing potions from lukier/luckiest finds though. shrug?
    6. Piracy - I dont know if i have time to max it is the problem. has no healing in the build either. it looks darn cool though and has some escape elements? not sure not sure. Leveling up all these skills is a problem for the build. be on level 10 with very few maxed out and needing them all.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Of the ones you named, I would select either Fungal Arts or Communism. Both give you a small healing ability, Communism is just a great melee skill, and Fungal Arts gives you a pet, and invisiblity, and some melee plus minor (but still useful) thrown weapons. I would pick either one over any of the others.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

I think communism is good with vegan and possibly fungal as well.

I thank you for your input. Those two skills really are great overall skills im noticing. One day ill max communism in a build. for one point you get a crazy amount of fills for an odd build.

4. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

On wandlore, don't worry about not having enough time to make it viable. The whole way it works is that you take it early on to carry you through the first few floors (you can even go straight to the second floor if you get a flaming wand or some other strong attacking wand and see if you can snatch early kills on Mushy and The Baron for some easy levels). If you are only investing in it in the late game, you really shouldn't take it at all. You get better encrusts with alchemy or tinkering or even smithing and wands are completely useless deep in the dungeon (with a few exceptions like the zodiacal wand)

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

the hidden recipe for helm is kinda sick on wand encrusts. The smithing ones are near 0 utility to anyone with +dodge build as almost all have -nimbleness. The tinkering encrusts seem pretty good.

What about the stat boosts from going Wand Lore? It would make vegan circle spell power up a lot. +4-5 on ethereal and righteousness. thats like a really nice thing no? figure for throwing and unarmed that would be potent. hm. maybe not.

6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Damage buffs don't affect spells. If you are after extra sagacity and magic power, then you're better off with... just about any other wizard skill really for the added utility even if you lose some sagacity, or Alchemy... or magic training which has a silence and pacify missile that's quite amazing. Really wandcrafting boils down to this:

Early game powerhouse, the zodiacal wand (which really does synergize great with veganism!), the rock wand (but you could just get Living Wall from golemancy if you really care about this), and the sonic wand (unless you have a better silence). Then some utility encrusts, mostly situational. Really holy shielding helps stop you from being ganked if you have big negative righteous resist and helps you avoid necro self damage, if you're a heavy crossbow user having a crossbow that knocks enemies away really helps. By about floor 9 and 10 most of wand lore's utility becomes marginal, you can still kill things with your fiery wand but it's not very efficient in terms of materials. Hopefully you took advantage of being able to adventure early on out of level with your wands and build up a good build quickly.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

My guy is a unarmed and throwing build. I noticed that fleshbore and vegan proc spell uses Magic power. figured if i was to take something that could be a helper skill, i would take something that also built up power of shots. the wandlore also has +ethereal damage and 15 magic resistance.

I have never had good magic resistance before. It seems quite hard to get despite everyone's builds I see.

Alchemy doesnt work with my smithing

8. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Okay well what I was meaning to convey was this: Wand Lore 2 can carry you through the first five levels. Buy it immediately!

If you have wand lore, buy points in it early on, at least enough to be able to craft Gelatinous, Rock, and Fiery wands. If you find you cannot justify buying wand lore early in the game and never invest in it later in the game, drop it.

Alchemy and smithing actually work together pretty well, the medical encrusting for example gives a good buff of very good extra resistances on armor, and health potions help carry warrior builds through the earlier floor (which as a smith is presumably what you are doing). If anything it's a better fit than Wand Lore just from all the innate damage resistance it offers! (and you can transmute gems for emerald and diamond encrusts)

I do think wand lore is a great fit for your build though, I just don't think you should worry about not having enough time to make it viable. Invest in wand lore straight away! Unfortunately you have another obsoleting carry skill in unarmed, but you can just buy Buffalo and stop there.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

unarmed has damage crits dodge EDR for thrown and ethereal as well as Burl points. no?

ah shit my guy just died. The Tobins guide hit brax.

10. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

For overall survivability of your character, it's better not to have to rely on the dismal damage dealing you get when you use Unarmed. I understand you're trying to minmax for thrown weapons. It can work, but it's not a good idea (unless you have the patience to tediously micromanage your character's equipment). In dredmor it's much more important to be able to get out of bad situations, and something like Master of Arms is way better for this (not having to rely on armor for EDR helps your magic power for your throwing fleshbores, too).

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Member

yes getting away is really key. I had a build that randomly had 3 ways to exit a fight and it did super well.

i am going to try again with my build however!