Question about savvy and magic power scaling

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Knallis, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Knallis

Knallis Member

So I think spells used to scale off of magic power, but now it seems that everything scales off of savvy. I'm pretty poor at researching so I haven't been able to dig up the reason myself so I thought I'd ask.

Why is savvy being used to scale the mana costs of spells instead of magic power, like it (I presume) used to? Is it so that a really high magic power isn't ridiculous or something, since spells seem to still scale their damage on magic power and savvy effects mana.

At the same time though for some reason my mage characters seem to be getting higher savvy than magic power anyway, so is the savvy thing buffing spellcasters and that was the idea or is it something the developers were experimenting with during this last patch?

2. I went and took a look at SpellsDB, and you're right. Spells do scale off of savvy now. I think the idea was to make it so Magic Power wasn't the end all be all stat for mages. The reason why you usually end up with more savvy than sagacity is because if you're leveling rogue and wizard spells than you're getting 2 sagacity and 2 savvy for wizard skills but only 1 sagacity and 2 savvy from rogue skills.

3. jzworkman

jzworkman Member

Does savvy influence vamp drain now too? That would be a nice buff for melee as armor lowering magic power wouldnt matter any more.

4. No. All damages are still affected by magic power. Only the spell costs run on Savvy.

5. jzworkman

jzworkman Member

Oh ok well thats disappointing. I was hoping for a nice melee buff.