Psionics overpowered since new patch

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by archioneiloss, Sep 8, 2011.

1. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

hi, i think that the psionics skill is now op. it has to be buffed because before the patch it was a bit weak. but now you first spell is just too strong. u stun your opponents and make damge for 1 mana when u have a bit spellpower. i tried it and u just rush through your opponents. i thought the first spell was kind of escape spell and it was ok making no damage, but now its too strong. the buff that gives you magic res was ok. but not the dmg imo. what do u think? and try yoursell this skill

2. Zentay

Zentay Member

Just out of curiosity, how far are you into the game and on what difficulty is this?

3. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

He's playing on the edge! You know, Elvish/Dwarven massacre on, get this, LEVEL ONE!! :O

On serious note, I don't think it's op at all. It's matched with other schools.

4. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

i have to say that i played only the beginning. but a friend of me played it longer and thinks the same. he played on dwarven mode. maybe in lategame it is not as strong at the beginning but u can realy just play the first levels only with this one spell. i think its better when u have to play a bit more creative than just cast the same spell again and again and blowing your opponents away.

5. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

btw i NEVER play on elven mode and i play only on permadeath, because losing is fun ;)

6. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

Most of the builds usually glide through early levels. Powerful mages and pure warrior builds (esp with vamp) is what comes to mind. And that's on GR/PD.

If you're playing Dwarven it's gonna be THAT much easier. Just try GR.

7. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

hm ok but try it by yourself. take psionics, bloodmage, magic training and u have enough mana to perma cast the first psionic spell, your opponents just get damge and sleep and cant get to you

8. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

At first I tried playing GR, but after a little while (of dying within the first 3-4 rooms) I thought, dwarven moderation dangit.

9. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

@Psiweapon It all depends on how you play and on your build. It's all about versatility, sneakiness, thinking, moving. Try luring monsters into traps (really efficient), gaping them to a one-way hallway, juking them, etc. Not just straight berserker rush :)

10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I'm so nerfing that spell in 106.

Exile likes this.
  11. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I think it's nice it actually does damage now unlike in 1.03.

12. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Yeah, but it's even harder than other roguelikes! It's more sadistic than IVAN !

In IVAN, if you're lucky, you can advance quite a bit and then... die from a completely unexpected and gruesome death. As in walk, die.

Dredmor, going rogue, destroys you right away from the start!

13. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I can't seem to get this going. It's a good spell, but I haven't been able to use it without running out of mana before I kill one or two mobs. Playing on dwarven.

14. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

y but when u skill magic training ang get some items you have very fast 70 mana or more. and with a bit spellpower, this spell costs 1 mana. and compare this with other spell from magic skills like necromantic...and the firebreath from promethean magic cost a lot of more mana. i just want that this game is balanced because i love this game :D and i hope it wont get easier due to new patches that are comin :)

15. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Yeah, well, I thought you meant out of the box. My mistake. After you put a point into magic power, yes, it's pretty twinked out then. I guess I was just being too impatient to level before. ;D

I agree, by the way. Balance is nice. I don't even exploit known bugs. It's boring.

16. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

@Vykk

Yes, exploiting bugs gets boring. Well, exploiting the bug is fun in and of itself, but renders a lot of the game moot.

Right now I have a character where I exploit bugs (vampire fencer) and a character with which I *don't* (axe-wielding craft-it-all)

17. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I rolled a caster. Cast the spell. It took 3-4 casts to kill a diggle and often it was resisted.

18. 123stw

123stw Member

Narcosomatic Induction sucks. Why? Because it does next to no damage, single target, and DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK.

Yes you can spam it on a single target, yes you can reposition yourself after the sleep to offset how often it fails to sleep, but no it's not OP because there are FAR easier ways to kill a single target.

Blood mage won't do anything because you actually won't be killing anything past floor 1 without god knows how many sleep you cast. If you really want to spam it go ley walker (OMG did I just suggested Ley Walker) and max the mana regen rate, so your 1 mana per cast matches the 1 mana per turn.

Edit: I am happy to report that a fully equipped mage with 50 magic power only takes 10 Narcosomatic Induction to kill a floor 2 zombie. You can't handle mobs, and you can't choke point abuse either because it can't sleep every time. Now let's us all throw that sleep spell back into the trashcan and use real stuns like Nerve Staple.

@jhffmn
    Thanks for providing an accurate description of Narcosomatic Induction.

19. archioneiloss

archioneiloss Member

ok you know that a zombie has resistance against that? and with 50 spellpower u make 16 damage for 1 mana and stun your opponents for a few turns. i dont say that this is the best spell ingame but i think its too strong. u can make 160 damage + stun for 10 mana. and with leywalker u can permacast it.

20. Marak

Marak Member

I mean hell, you could take, say, Promethian Magic and jack up your Magic Power to 50 and then go back to floor one and one-shot every monster there with Dragon's Breath. That doesn't make Dragon's Breath overpowered, does it? No. You could take my initial statement there and insert the name of ANY damage spell in the game and it would still be true.

Any basic spell is going to do a lot of damage when you have 50 Magic Power. That doesn't mean the spell is overpowered. And besides, if you're far enough into the dungeon to have 50 Magic Power, you should be using spells like Nerve Staple or Pyrokinesis.

Using Narcosomatic Induction at low levels, with low Magic Power does - as others have pointed out - very little damage. It sounds like your issue has more to do with how spells scale based on your magic power rather than a specific spell.