Project: Community Skills Guide

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lorrelian, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

So let me ask the question. What does Werediggle prevent you from using? Do you keep passive bonuses from other skill trees, including weapon skill trees? Do you keep your procs on attack/defense? Do you attack with weapons or does werediggle use unarmed?

2. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Werediggle prevents you from using any active skills other than those derived from the Werediggle Curse skill tree. I believe passive bonuses from other trees are out the window while you're diggling as well. Your procs still work for some reason. Not really sure why these stick when passive bonuses don't but there it is. The stats from all of your equipment still apply. So yes you can use weapons, however the passive bonuses from the weapon skill trees won't apply while diggled. Dual wield still keeps you penalty free while in werediggle form but no other passive bonuses apply making it even more pointless to climb the dual wield tree. Unless you want the procs of course.

Oh, also it should be kept in mind that while you can't cast spells while in werediggle form, buffs cast before you change still run their normal duration. This makes werediggle combo really well with gish trees like Viking Magic and Astrology.

So overall you really need to plan for werediggle curse or you wind up with a diggle form that is weaker than your normal one. While it's possible to make a really powerful character with this skill tree I have yet to have any luck with it and tend to stick with skill trees that give me fewer logistical headaches.

3. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

So let me see if I get this straight. You lose all passive bonus and the ability to use active skills for 33 turns in exchange for possible:
    6:dmg_piercing:3:burliness:3:caddishness:10:dodge: 4:melee_power: 4:block: 6:armor_asorb: 1:dmg_toxic: 1:dmg_putrefying: 1:resist_toxic: 2:resist_putrefying: 1:resist_crushing: 1:resist_piercing: 2:resist_conflagratory:2:resist_voltaic:2:resist_hyperborean: 5:life: 4:life_regen: 5:sneakiness: and some decent active skills.

That sort of good but losing passive bonuses of other skill trees really ruins werediggle curse for me. I would love to add artful dodger and unarmed with werediggle but that doesn't work. It really means that you need some long buffs and proc skill trees. Basically Viking Magic, Astrology, Berserker Rage, Assassin, and the crafting skills. Werediggle Curse limits your game worse than vampirism if you want to be a diggle. The worst part of the skill is it just kinda boring. You either use proc and werediggle or ignore werediggle form.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

You all are getting so far ahead of me, taking up all the important points. I'm so proud. ;_;

Would you do the same thing if I said that Friday's skill is going to be Emomancy?

Werediggle Curse
    Type: Rogue
    Role: Engine
    Werediggles have to be built for, and they're probably going to be a large part of your run, so they're the engine and no doubt.
    Theme: You Won't Like Me When I'm Diggling!
    Strategy:
    Balance time spent in werediggle form with time in your human form, keeping in mind that you have to be in your human form at least one third of the time.
    Pros:
    This skill is fun. It's got loads of visual style, it lets you play a diggle, it makes you hoss while you are a diggle, and it gives you a ton of options like burrowing, invisibility (powerful and often underestimated) and the mighty Archdiggle Smash :p (rarely overestimated.) But mostly, it provides you with the visceral thrill of knowing that the most dangerous enemies in the dungeon are diggles, and you are them! Or something. It has a lot of levels, too, which is nice if your a hard core archaeologist.
    Cons:
    Becoming a diggle robs you of all your other activated abilities and passive bonuses, only procs and equipment will apply. That hurts. On top of that, even a fully upgraded Werediggle form does not provide you with bonuses equal to even two full skill lines of other sources. Most painful of all, trap sight and trap skill are destroyed like all other passive bonuses, so you won't even be able to see danger coming.
    Synergies:
    Berserk Rage, Assassination, Fungal Arts, Perception and Demonology all carry powerful procs that will still trigger in your Diggle form. Plus, Celestial Circle and the buffs of the Astrology, Viking Magic and Necronomiceconomics skills trees will persist even when you transform, giving you powerful buffs to carry over while transformed. Warlocky and Battle Geology also offer one or two useful persistent buffs that you might consider keeping around.
    Takeaway:
    Werediggle Curse is fun and flavorful, but probably weaker than most skills. User discretion is advised. Play with it too much and you may become frustrated.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Man, now I wonder if this thing needs a new coat of paint. Well, it's not happening tonight but I'll keep thinking about it.

6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I just made a suggestion topic about it. I was hoping I made the suggestion easy enough to be done in about 10-30 minutes.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If anything, Werediggle Curse will be better if there will be more skill trees that synergise with it well. And in the meantime, I think that changing some skill trees so that you would get an active skill out of them in the transformed form might be good (i.e. you might get another attack skill for your transformed state if you max out Unarmed, or an additional movement-related of dodge-increasing skill if you max out Artful Dodger). That way you would get more stuff for your transformed state even after maxing Werediggle Curse.

Vitellozzo and TheKirkUnited like this.
  8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

When I play Werediggle it usually only has two functions:

1) Poop out eggs
    2) Boost my :life_regen: significantly to heal up.

The melee is a bit more powerful to the point where it helps me push through early game, but the loss of really vital skills like teleports, knockbacks, etc, is too huge to be made up later on, especially with much tougher melee enemies.

The eggs are really great for bombs, potions, etc., but that also pales in comparison to good ol' teleport-and-don't-get-hit.

9. Nicholas

Are you guys planning on talking about Daggers and Polearms? We just added them and they are a bit different.

10. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

We still haven't gotten through all of the RotDG skills yet. I think it's safe to say that Daggers and Polearms are on the back burner. We all need time to play around with them and form opinions anyway.

If you want more immediate feedback, maybe make a feedback thread? Assuming you haven't already that is. I haven't checked. Daggers and Polearms are sure to show up here in time though.

11. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

We will but we just got to realms of the diggle god skills, then we do name it yourself, then the wizard lands. Stop makes expansion packs and improve the game faster than we can talk about it :rolleyes:

12. Stryke

Stryke Member

I hope so, so far what I've seen of them is so good I'm kind of hoping the other weapon types get revisited in a similar style.

13. mining

mining Member

Aren't they in core now, though?

14. Did I miss Artful Dodger? I used the search function but I couldn't find it.

15. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Crap. We didn't cover it. >_<

Guess that will be Friday's skill. Let me know if you catch any other missing skills.

ALSO: Daggers/Polearms have been pushed back behind YHTNTEP so people can play with them some (like, five weeks) but I think we should tackle them before CotW, since they are technically core game content.

16. Wootah

Wootah Member

Man I love artful Dodger.
    Second of all I REALLY love daggers.

The entire build is built around the buff: "Silent Deadly Dagger Sneaky Stance"
    Which gives +2:dmg_piercing:, -5:melee_power:, +25:sneakiness:, +25:crit:

You would think the loss of Melee power early game would be devastating... but it isn't. First of all. You can't go negative. So you just hang out at zero. I am losing out on 3 extra damage, to slicing from my dagger, but the extra piercing damage makes up for it. And I still get slicing damage from future weapons.

But it really becomes crazy with Shiv in assassination:
    21% Chance of 1:dmg_piercing: + :dmg_piercing: ( .33 * :sneakiness: ). Awesome you say? Well my sneakiness is 64... On level 2.
    Not much survives when that procs.

I have a whole build around it:
    Given that :nimbleness: and :savvy: convert into :sneakiness:

6 Rogue skills which provide 2:nimbleness: per level and and Big Game Hunter

Daggers (For the above mentioned Buff and a rogue weapon)
    Assassination (For the above mentioned Proc, 1 extra :nimbleness: and 3:sneakiness: )
    Crossbows (Rogue ranged Weapon, also benefit from your bonus :crit:, but no penalty from -:melee_power:)
    Tinkering (7 Bonus:savvy:, and tons of trap collection)
    Big Game Hunters ( Hunter's Strike is 3:dmg_piercing: + :dmg_piercing: ( .33 * :sneakiness: ), An additional 5:sneakiness: )
    Artful Dodger ( Bonus 6 :nimbleness: and the only defense here)
    Perception (10:dodge: and 10 :edr: are Huge. Lucky finds fuels Tinkering supplies for tons of bolts for archery and good crossbows)

With the changes to enemy Perception cones. I can open a zoo an walk away from the door and only 1-2 monster will follow me. Even if a lot do engage, sometime walking, I can sneak away. This allows me to eat and refill often, despite being squishy, sometimes even walking around monsters to pick up spent bolts. And while you take a lot of damage early Big Game hunter supplies tons of meat (also if you get lucky with a little red book). With the ability to sit back and shoot into the zoo with crossbows without having everything come flooding out. All in all, very, very awesome.

17. bzlv

bzlv Member

Artful Dodger also gives you a very cheap and early teleport! The Knight's Leap may seem weak at first glance because of its restrictions--you can only move in an "L" shape like a chess knight--but I've played with it a bunch and it always seems to be good enough for whatever I happen to need. There is almost nowhere you can't get to with it. It's only a seven turn cooldown so in the worst case you can jump somewhere near a hallway, back up six times and teleport again. Much better than it looks at first.

18. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

I take it we've said all that needs saying about werediggles then? :D

19. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I think the suggestion thread will be active for a while, but I think we've covered what can be said about it presently.

20. Nicholas

A husband and wife go to the doctor, and the doctorsays, "What seems to be the problem?"

The wife says, "It's my husband, doctor, he thinks he's a Diggle."

"That's terrible!" says the doctor. "How long has this been going on?"

"Three years!" says the wife.

"Three years?!" splutters the incredulous doctor. "Why haven't you come in sooner?"

"Well," says the wife, "We needed the eggs..."