Potion of Alchemical inspiration - does it stack?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Warlock, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Warlock

Warlock Member

As per title. Thanks in advance.

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Nope. It totally should, though, up to a reasonable maximum.

Unless the code lies to me.

Honestly, the potion is kind of useless. Making it infinite duration would make it must-have, I think. So, stacking would add some power to it.

3. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

4. If Potions of Alchemical Inspiration stacked indefinitely, it would make Xenobiology even more broken than it already is, by allowing you to transmute up four of them, use your now level 5 alchemy to make a fifth, and then have full access to everything Alchemy can do... for free. And if it stacked with infinite duration it would break open Alchemical Toxin Cannister, for obvious reasons.
    I love Alchemical Inspiration because it lets you brew up some (inefficient) Healing and Invisibility potions and makes Xenobiology effectively give 2:alchemy:, but, yeah, there's currently no real reason for an alchemist to ever make one. I think it would be cool if you got more potions out of a couple recipes at 7 :alchemy:, which would make that extra point actually worth it.
    EDIT: We should probably move this part of the discussion to the suggestions forum, though.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  5. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

On a side note, I've twice had games where non-alchemy characters find a Potion of Alch Insp on an early floor....then proceed to never find a porta-still, ever (thus making it mostly useless).

6. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

In my mod, there's a Suicide Potion that requires Level 9 Alchemy, which requires Maxed Alchemy Skill, Rogue Scientist, and Potion of Alchemical Inspiration.(This is to prevent most players from killing themselves, unfortunately the Potion still spawns without alchemy). If I ever think of other useful potions(such as more buff potions, and a Subtle Getaway-based Potion), I'd probably leave some of the best for 7-9 Alchemy.

Oh btw, I do want the Potion to be infinite, but I don't want it to stack. Kinda like Permanent Tinkerer Goggles that can't come off.
    As for Crafting Possiblility, the Absolute maximums are: 11 Tinkering(RS + CK + Tinker + Goggles), 9 Alchemy(RS + Alchemy + Potion), 8 Smithing(CK + Smith) and 8 Wand Lore(RS + Wands). This is without the Diggle God Blessing, which totals to 13 Tinkering, 11 Alchemy, 10 Smithing and 10 Wand Lore. There should be more recipes with 7-10 Craft Skill and extra outputs for 9-13 Craft Skill.

7. 13 Wand Crafting, actually. Two Black Pearl Rings of Sleeping Secrets, a Hat of Bergstrom, maxed Rogue Scientist and Wand Lore, and the Diggle God of Secrets blessing.

8. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Don't forget that Paranormal Investigator gives a point in alchemy now., so that can go as high as 10, (12 with the Giggle Dog).

9. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I see a stark, empty void at 7-13 Wandcrafting. Why include items that boost wandcrafting as so without adding new recipes?

10. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Member

11 smithing maximum , with the Krong Hammer. Also , the wandcrafting bonus from diggle god of secrets is still broken/useless.

It seems to me that levels 1-2 of alchemy are far more useful than levels 3-6. The conversion is simple and extremely convenient - iron to instant healing , aluminum to instant mana , coal to cloak. And given how easy it is to procure a flashy staff , you won't need to craft anything else than potions either. The only real use of levels beyond 3 is specialized encrusts , like fireproofing.

11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Why don't people tell me about these items that add crafting skill? That and the Krong Hammer/Wandcraft Rings are extremely hard to get, especially in the early and middle game.

12. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Several wands deal damage based on your Wandcrafting level. (plus the Death Ray)

13. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Hopefully it'll do more damage than "alternative" options, such as Clockwork Rail Launcher + Scythed Steel Bolt or BOMD or Squid Bolt, or Holy Hand Grenades, or Emerald/Monofiliment Sword, or Krong Hammer/Atom Smasher, or High level spells with high Magic power. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be worth centering a build on Wandcrafting, especially since the Hat and Rings are slaves to the RNG.

14. Warlock

Warlock Member

High magic power and high wandcrafting can make a Naarwhaand do almost as much damage as Dredmor's/Digula's own versions of Thor's Fulminaric bolt. In an AoE. I believe it can punch through most enemy resistance values too and still remain powerful.

15. Yeah, the Naarwhaand is flat-out the best damage-dealing wand in the game. Its base damage scales to 3.5 Wandcrafting - better than any other wand that scales to wandcrafting - plus it drops a Fulminaric Bolt, which deals 36 damage + .65 Magic Power to a single target and 7 + .25 MP to everything around it. Unfortunately they can't be crafted, so you can't set up a build around spamming wand fulminaric bolts.

16. Warlock

Warlock Member

30 Naarwhaands collected from Wizardlands say otherwise, but I won't be needing those until a few more floors down. :)

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

After all those level 1 Wizardlands, what CL are you?

18. Warlock

Warlock Member

currently? just as I finished the last of the DL1 spreadsheet codes, level 16. I've just put the finishing touches to the armored archmage robes I made and encrusted. The only crusts left to put there are Sassy banding and Rune armor.

19. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

When you do all the codes, and if you live, you'll probably be like level 50 when you finally meet Lord Dredmor.

20. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]