Possible Bug: Glyph of the Asp

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Puce Moose, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

I decided to check out the Egyptian magic skill tree, and I noticed that the Glyph of the Asp buff never ends for my character. As soon as the counter on the left hits 1/10, it jumps back to 10/10 on the next step.
    If you need any more information please let me know.
    Thanks

2. jadkni

jadkni Member

Er, that's how it should work, as with all other sustained spells. It means that it'll cost you one mana to sustain every 10 turns. :)

3. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

Ah, I see! Thanks for the info.

4. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

A thing I've noticed with the Asp glyph that could be a bug is its animation. It's completely motionless until you attack something at which point it moves north two tiles...and otherwise does nothing.

5. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Hm, I don't want to make a thread since this might be intended as well. Using the same skill line, I acquired a buff "The Test of Time". I assume there should be a mana upkeep or something, but it seems to be sticking around indefinitely.

It doesn't appear brittle either. Bug or intended awesome?

6. Daiug

Daiug Member

Intended awesome :)

But beware, sometimes you get the debuff version of it

7. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I'm pretty sure I know -why- this is occurring; the player's attack sprites are a larger size than their normal sprites, and thus if the halo is aligned by the top of the playersprite it is jumping because the playersprite increases in size during those anims.

You'd have to ask Dave/Nick about potentially fixing this, because it's probably something hardcoded.

8. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

The glyph halo is prone to going completely bonkers. They move, disappear, reappear...

9. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

It's ... ... it's supposed to work!

The rule is: the halo sprite should remain centered to the parent sprite when the correct flag is set. This works. The problem is that the parent sprite, as Mr.Triolo expalined, gets larger when attack animations are played. Without setting this, the stupid halos are centered onto the sprite itself and get in the way because I think they're aligned to the 'bottom' of the sprite. Or something. It isn't as straightforward as one would hope.

Maybe I just need to add lots of damn blank space on TOP of the halo sprites as well as the bottom ...

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. It's not like rendering that particular bit of animation takes a lot of resources, and if that works, I don't see why wouldn't you do that.

11. Does something affect that?
    With one of my characters I always got the buff while with another I seem to get the debuff.