Please Recommend a Rogue Scientist Build

Discussion in 'You Have To Name The Expansion Pack' started by SamuelMarston, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

Topic being that Rogue Scientist is a steam-roller once you get it going. That gas canister really cleans out the zoos.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Okay, a Rogue Scientist build! I'm not an expert, but I happen to be playing (dungeon level 11 in RotDG) a very successful rogue-type character who has Rogue Scientist. His build is:

Unarmed Combat
    Artful Dodging
    Perception
    Burglary
    Archaeology
    Tinkering
    Rogue Scientist

It doesn't maximize Rogue Scientist by any means (it's mainly about being unhittable and shooty) but I like the skill! The baromatic pulse skills are useful to GET CRITTERS AWAY, the rebreather skill is handy, and the two free levels of alchemy are the cherry on top. (Healing potions, woo hoo!)

If I wanted to emphasize Rogue Scientist, I'd want alchemy for sure, probably dropping perception. But one of the cool things about the skill is how it lets you dabble in skill trees you'd otherwise not have access to.

OmniaNigrum and SamuelMarston like this.
  3. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Try this version:

Rogue Scientist
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Archeology
    Unarmed Combat

You can swap Archeology or Unarmed Combat for other stuff, such as Smithing, Archery, Wandcrafting, Shield Mastery etc, but Magical Law is absolutely essential. Why? Well, Wright's Irrefutable Argument basically allows you to routinely recharge your abilities for mana, making this character a huge nuke. You can spam Toxic Canisters with no effort at all, and there's also a nice bonus: Gag Order. It scales to savvy, not magical power. And because of the Tinkering this character naturally has savvy as the highest stat. This spell can easily kill most enemies that breathe and unbreathing enemies such as robots and undead can be easily converted into breathing ones via Polymorphic Injunction. This can be quite useful early on when your Rogue Scientist skill hasn't reached it's full potential yet. Writ of Counterspelling and Rune of Objection are also quite nice when it comes to assaulting zoos with lots of spellcasters and Confiscate Evidence makes aquiring Archeology material way easier.

Blood mage is not 100% needed but it saves a lot of time and makes you able to recharge skills with your lawyer powers without losing turns on constant booze consumption.

So what do we have here. Heavy armored character with damage output similar to a battle mage,neat counterspelling, fast xp (tinkering artifacts + archeology), effective healing (alchemy) and a free slot for a battle ability of your choice. Alchemy 8 makes toxic canisters your best attack ability and the fabled Aetheric Death Ray is actually quite negligible since it eats your precious recharge-mana and requires Wandcrafting (pretty useless skill in my opinion) to operate.

Vitellozzo, OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  4. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yeah, wait just a little more. Work in progress.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Pure Crafting:

Rogue Scientist'
    Clockwork Knight
    Alchemy
    Smithing
    Tinkering
    Wandcrafting
    Perception

Exile and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'd actually replace Rogue Scientist with Paranormal Investigator. The extra recipes will be a lot more useful to you than a few more points of :wand_burn::alchemy::tinkerer:. IMHO/YMMV, natch.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Member

Not really a rogue scientist build any more then, is it?

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  8. Essence

9. Nacho

Nacho Member

Try swapping out Smithing instead. Tinkering can handle all your gear needs by itself, maybe with a little help from Alchemy. That nerfs Clockwork Knight a little, but levels 1 and 2 are all you need from that anyway.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  10. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Rogue Science
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Degree in Dungeoneering
    Paranormal Investigator
    Burglary/Archaeology/Perception/Clockwork Knight/Wild Magic

This is the worst idea ever, but admit it, it's kind of funny.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Essence

Why Degree?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Nacho

Nacho Member

School is necessary to become a scientist. Lots of school.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Ultra-efficient crafting. A spammable push. If I'm going to be a complete idiot and take nothing at all that'll actually help me survive, Degree is a good choice.

Wait, why isn't Silver Tongue on there?

Silver Tongue! Because Iron Eyes might possibly help you not die, because it's crazily efficient crafting, because its level 0 might help you survive until you have some way of not being completely helpless.

Apart from giving you reagents, Wild Magic is an amusing choice because it gives you a method of dealing death, but one that you cannot rely on and in fact have no control over. In short, it fills the gap, but it does not give you a sensible way to play.

I'm not even sure if non-spell active skills can proc Wild Magic. I know that they can proc Genjutsu, which struck me as an oversight.

Also because SCIENCE!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

Just tried another slightly different version:

Rogue Scientist
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Wandcrafting
    Magical Law
    Blood Mage
    Archeology

It seems to work quite smoothly even with zero fighter skills. It is possible to max wandcrafting to 11 with Bergstrom hat and two rings of sleeping secrets to get the highest damage from the ray. Still, not that impressive as I thought it could be. Toxic canisters are way better, although the ray looks fun and has a great potential for characters with huge sight range bonus. Maybe i should try a build with Perception next time?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Dump Blood Mage for it. Consider dumping something or other for Paranormal Investigator unless you're finding that your levels are all sucked up by other things (happens to me a lot)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Essence

Yeah, I've never understood the whole 'wtf actually causes triggeroncast to trigger' thing. Ive triggered LavaCarrot Stance's Infernal Torus when changing to another stance, but never, for example, with any of the active weapon attacks. Ive asked the devs but got no answer. I suspect they don't k ow either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

This build need mana replentishing badly. Why? Death ray is just munching mana away, and so does Wright's Irrefutable Argument for recharging rogue scientist cooldowns. So it's either blood mage, ley walker or magic training. Magic training also gives nice bonuses into savvy so i' ll probably try that some time to.

I' m also considering a build focused on Death ray with no Alchemy at all. Something like this, maybe:

Rogue Scientist
    Tinkering
    Perception
    Wandcrafting
    Magical Law
    Magic Training
    Archeology

Still not sure about Blood Mage, It seems to work just fine.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. mining

mining Member

I did something possibly vaguely resembling testing on it once and [iirc] it was anything that wasn't attack=1 or something. I was fairly... brief... though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

If you want to focus purely on building around death ray, I would focus on

Archaeology
    Rogue Scientist
    Wandcrafting
    Blood Magic

As your base skillset and add whatever else you think will help you the most.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Quantum

Quantum Member

I was thinking maybe something like this
    Probably won't work though

Rouge Scientist
    Perception
    Alchemy
    Tinkering
    Daggers
    Duel Wielding

Burglary