Paladinner: Worship & Warfare in one easy meal!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by TSED, Jun 21, 2012.

1. TSED

TSED Member

[Available on Steamworks]

Combat gluttony! Combat, in this instance, is an adjective instead of a noun or a verb - you will not be fighting gluttony, you will be using it for violent ends. Vampires need not apply. Who ever heard of a vampire paladin anyway?

"Paladinner" is a wizard skill tree based around righteousness and a reckless disregard for healthy eating habits. You gain added effects from eating food, but be warned, because the more religious your holy feasting becomes, the more mana it sucks away from you. Holy rituals do not come cheap, after all!

UPDATE: Hammer of the Guts is now a buff, which allows you to proc the old PBAoE nuke when you eat something. This means it's now toggleable! Additionally, Holy Roly Poly stacks up to 3 times.

Knight Of The Round Gut: +1 righteousness resist, +1hp, -1 putrefying resist
    Depending on how tasty your meal is, gain a little to a lot more regeneration from your food.

Holy Roly Poly: +1 righteousness, +1 necromantic resist, +1hp, -1 toxic resist
    Gain a tiny buff (+1) to most stats after consuming an edible product! Includes perception and trap sense, but not craft skills.

A Prayer Before Eating: +1 righteousness resist, +1hp, -1 acidic resist
    As everyone bows their head in deference to the Gods, a small, localized, and short-duration silence covers you and those nearby. Don't plan on casting any spells after chowing down!

Divine Feast: +1 righteousness resist, +1 necromantic resist, +1hp, -1 putrefying resist
    Awesome! Eating food now gives a direct, immediate heal!

The Flatulence Of The Gods: +1 righteousness resist, +1hp, -1 toxic resist
    This one is a little impolite around the dinner table. While well-fed, create a cloud of supernaturally dangerous gases from Krong, the Lutefisk God, or Inconsequentia, with small prizes for effective use! Do NOT try on an empty stomach.

Adventuring Chef: +1 righteousness resist, +1hp, -1 acidic resist
    Shove anything down your throat! Swords, knives, full suits of plate mail - nothing can stop your ravenous piehole!

Hammer Of The Guts: +1 righteousness resist, +1 necromantic resist +1hp, -1 putrefying resist, -1 acidic resist, -1 toxic resist
    A simple, thoughtless snack or meal will never again be yours to enjoy. The mere act of ingesting is a powerful prayer, calling forth heavenly fury around you (though sometimes they're on break themselves).

Attached Files:

OmniNegro and Daynab like this.
  2. Truckasaurus

Truckasaurus Member

This is a really awesome idea for a skill tree, I think the negative resists make the whole thing a bit underpowered though, in particular because all three of those damage types are really common and the resist that the tree does give out is actually a pretty uncommon damage type to run into.

Also, the description text for the tree itself on the character creation screen doesn't fit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. TSED

TSED Member

I put them in like that specifically because of their rarity (though the necro resist is useful). Once the skill is maxed out, eating provides AOE silence, a repeatable heal-on-demand, PBAoE nuke + knock, noticeable regen, and a practical guarantee that you'll never run out of food even if you didn't take big game hunter. And you can spam this every round by right clicking a stack of grated cheese or something!

The only thing I'm considering is making Holy Roly Poly stack 2 or 3 times instead of only once. I don't know if that'd be overpowered.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hmmm. I read this before, but I somehow got the idea that this was a warrior skillset. I will have to try it out.

I can see some major Lutefisk abuse happening here. :)

5. TSED

TSED Member

Well, I'll confess that I was testing it out in a warrior build. I simply can't NOT take big-game hunter with it, for reasons that I think are pretty obvious. Both thematically and mechanically. Those poor, poor diggles...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Because of the extra food? A Horadic Lutefisk Cube solves the need for food. Find an item you do not want? It is suddenly the least appealing foodstuff in the universe. (But it still works for your mod I suspect.)

7. TSED

TSED Member

Yes, but BGH makes meat out of nothing. And if you are so inclined, you can grind it up into ground meat for meatier meats of defeat!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You can buy out all the bolt/throwing weapon machines and 'Fisk them all for deliciously snotlike Lutefisk. :)

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just tried it. *WAY* too much knockback happening on eating. (Not how much it knocks things back, but the sheer fact that it *ALWAYS* knocks things back when eating. This moves things that should be unmovable and makes a mess of stuff.)

I am commenting those out until forever. But otherwise it is pretty good actually. :)

*Edit* I used Wrestlemancy and Baristocrat on this build too. Coffee and food rule!

10. TSED

TSED Member

How about now? The capstone is a toggleable buff that lets you foodsplode, as opposed to just innately foodsploding. Aww yeah?

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I will give it a try. Thanks. :)

12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've been avoiding commenting on this largely because I haven't had time to playtest it, but I have to say, this idea is truly inspired and the mechanics look great. I'm hoping I'll get a chance soon...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Essence

Just a note: this is currently badly broken insofar as the level 1 abilities all remove themselves before they have a chance to do anything. :)

14. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I guess I should introduce you to TSED

15. Essence

I just PMed him and asked him if I could do the whole 'Essence takes custody of an abandoned mod' thing. But if you know him in person and might be able to get him back to the forums, that would be awesome. :)

[edit]Also, why is this a wizard tree?[/edit]

16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I see him on Steam most days, I'll ask him.

17. TSED

TSED Member

Oh jeez oh jeez!

Okay, so basically, I am really rusty at my mod-fu right now, and don't think I'd be able to whip up a fix in any sort of short order. That being said, next week is reading week (aka 'spring break', but in Canada it's... uh... it's not spring) so I'll likely have time to throw at it. While I'm at it, I really ought to get Verminator uploaded given that it's been 98% done for forever.

I apologize for disappearing. Basically, my last year of University is pretty hectic. President of the English society, secretary-treasurer of the Poetry Society, member of the Undergraduate Symposium committee, a full course load (including two 500-level English classes), my part time job, an hour long commute (I walk everywhere so it takes a while), a writing group, a playwright circle workshop thing, and other stuff I know I'm forgetting right now are conspiring to take away my ability to internet, and that's why I haven't been around much.

I'll see what I can do in next week, though, and thanks for bringing it up. If it just turns into codevomit I might throw it at Essence and say "go ahead", though.

P.S. It's a wizard skill tree because you're magicking! Just with food. Also, because the direct effects scale off of spell power (and I really think they ought to), and a pure fighter won't get anything out of them. Also also, part of the balancing effect is to prevent Tanks McGee and his trusty Horadric Cube from lutefisk-chomping the entire dungeon to death post level 7 or so. If it was a fighter skill, it'd simply be too tanky!

Vitellozzo, mining and Essence like this.
  18. Essence

Actually, the fix in this case is pretty easy. You have the first-level power triggering any of a big trigger-from-list, and each of those abilities has a big list of <removebuffbynames> so that there's never two of them at the same time -- the problem is that you copy-pasted the <removebuffbyname> list across all of the triggerfromlist options and left each option on the list each time, so you trigger, for example, "That was OK", and the list of <removebuffbynames> that's part of "That was OK" removes "That was OK".

Just removing each item's self from it's own remove list fixes it quite nicely. :)

Also, welcome back, TSED! Good to see you again, even if it is only for a few minutes a week because life.

19. Essence

Also, the initial list of <triggerfromlist> options includes one line that mentions Gouda. It doesn't exist anywhere later on, so it should be deleted, too. Also, one of the entries in the <triggerfromlist> has the word "Was" capitalized, which kept it from triggering correctly. :)

20. TSED

TSED Member

Thanks for the catches! Paladinner was one of my early ones, so it's kind of a mess.

I've got the fix "done" but I'm trying to figure out something new-ish. With Wizardlands, tourism gave a hardcoded version of what I wanted Adventuring Chef to do, so obviously AC is changed to that new consumeanything mechanic. So I need to differentiate it somehow.

Plan A: Add a higher chance to proc the 'good' hots. As it is now, all of them have an equal chance, but this would change it so the 5th to 8th best ones have a 2-in-13 chance of proccing instead of 1-in-9. Or something.
    Plan B: Add some new effect when you use that skill specifically.
    Plan C: Add an additional whenever-you-eat effect.

Not quite sure what to do yet.