OpenSSL Heartbeat bug.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Apr 8, 2014.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Wake everyone you know up. This is a fuck it all and update the hell out of it moment. Many sites are using OpenSSL versions that are vulnerable to a serious bug that will absolutely ruin your day. Read more here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/22ghj1/the_heartbleed_bug/

Gaslamp Games does not seem vulnerable though, or already fixed this. Well done!

Everything else should be treated as suspect though.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Apparently in some countries checking yourself is illegal. So... y'know.

What I like about this bug and the implications is that I don't think I've seen a single thing that applies to the standard user. Everyone's like "omg apocalypse!" and doomsaying and talking about these huge problems, but no one has taken two seconds to explain it to your average user and say what they can or can't do to avoid it.

And from what I can tell, you can't do shit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

The website somebody set up: http://heartbleed.com/ isn't terrible. Apparently it's not known to have been actually used before they discovered and announced it. Change your older passwords if you're worried, and keep just an eye on things for a while, seems to be the main advice.

I recommend KeePass :D I haven't actually looked at a password in almost a year now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Getting information via heartbeat depends on recent updates in server processes (recent updates in server RAM or data storage). To my mind, if there's something you shouldn't do it's causing updates to your accounts.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's mostly because it's the servers' responsibilities to change it, not something that the end-user can fix themselves.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Which is something I think needs to be stated more often and more clearly, because I can imagine it's stressing some people out.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What a nightmare. Good luck even figuring out if your router's OpenVPN client/server uses a vulnerable OpenSSL compile...