On Killing Dredmor

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Mr_Strange, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Been wondering the same thing myself. Saw someone say they offed Dred with just three of them. Shenanigans are afoot.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Perhaps an older version of the game it was. A few buffs in the latest versions Dredmor got. Stronger than he was now is.

3. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

Kazetyoda speaks the truth.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. They're murder on Monster Zoos. Not as much fun as Squid Bolts though.

5. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

See, on my characters that would actually NEED that kind of power on zoos (melee) all the hand grenades and BoMD's get me is a few pages of Resisted! spam and monsters with 90% health. Brimstone flasks... are an entirely different matter. Best part, though? Fully half the potential of all of them is wasted as the projectile hits the first monster on the outside of the crowd.

Dredmor only seems to take meaningful damage with the clockwork sawblades, for me.

banjo2E likes this.
  6. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Totally agree with Darkmere. I've never seen BMD's do much damage to anything. You might clear a low level zoo with one but I have a hard time seeing them do much of anything to old Dred's. But then I've never tried using one him before. Mostly because I'd fired them at zoos and gotten zero results and it sounded stupid..... but yeah never tried it.

BMD's have always seemed much more useful for knocking down walls than for killing enemies. Every weapon at my disposal seems to work better than these things. Explosives in general are rather lackluster actually.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I tried four BMDs on Dredmor this evening (I KNOW I FINALLY GOT THERE AT LONG LAST YIPPEE) and even a holy hand grenade and they barely scratched him (this is without RotDG checked and on Elvish). Only way I did considerable damage in one go is a lucky haywire that reflected a spell back at him.

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

:magic_resist: is also important: it'll halve his spell damage and give you a chance to avoid being stunlocked by his Fulminaric Bolt.

9. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Not really. His Haywire rule out much in the way of resisting...

10. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

:reflection: on the other hand is pretty nice. Bounces all of his missile spells. Does nothing for TFB but hey what does right?

11. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Tougher Lord Dredmor has 89:haywire:. All that means is you need to get 189:magic_resist: for 100% resist. :rolleyes:

12. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Magnatronic Shield : 4:resist_voltaic: (I'll assume just one)
    Magnatronic Plate : 10:resist_voltaic:
    Rubber Pants: 2:resist_voltaic:
    Copper Plate Boots: 2:resist_voltaic:
    Copper Cable Belt: 3:resist_voltaic:
    Calchoelectronic Ring: 4:resist_voltaic: (and you can have two!)
    Window of Elements: 3:resist_voltaic: (Cybertronic Amulet gives 1)
    Cybercone: 1:resist_voltaic:

Total: 33:resist_voltaic:. Should put a pretty good dent in TFB, I'd say! Run with good :magic_resist: buffs, a mirror shield and Magical Law's reflection skill, and maybe a Voltaic Potion, and you should be able to have a nice tea party in Dredmor's bedroom.

Of course, if you're running Magical Law you can always just Gag order him...

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

every spell effect that inflicts mute status should have a secret taxa exclusive trigger that affects only Dredmor.

this triggered effect would remove the mute debuff earlier than the player would expect.

Doc Gelegentlich and Kazeto like this.
  14. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

The question was intended to be rhetorical. :rolleyes: Gearing that much voltaic resistance carries it's own risks, but you've made your point.

What's more, there are now encrusts with voltaic resistance as well. Making the TFB easier to deal with than ever before. If properly prepared for of course.

I agree with Ruigi about the mute debuffs. When I found out I could revoke Dredmor's license to cast I laughed hysterically. Then suggested to the devs that they make him immune to mute. Or give him a scary crossbow. Either or. He has all of the resources of the dungeon at his command. A single mute shouldn't stop him cold.

Kazeto likes this.
  15. Midnight Tea

Midnight Tea Member

Come to think of it, why is it the floor he's on doesn't have some kind of throne room? With a garrison between you and him and maybe a boss theme? He pretty much is underutilizing his resources as it is.

I think it should be kosher to mute him, but he'd have an ability to pass debuffs back to you with a very painful unique DoT attached. Boss fights are most interesting when they utilize tactics you're already adjusted to using, but with a higher risk/reward ratio. (sort of the game's final exam)

16. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I like to the think that the other 14 floors are his garrison and he just chills out on the 15th floor. Like his personal pent house suite or something. I imagine myself busting down a door only to find Lord Dred casually eating a nice meal while the arch diggle chefs present him a choice of fine wines.

There is a long awkward pause.

And then mayhem ensues.

Just my view on things. :p

Robsbot and Doc Gelegentlich like this.
  17. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I was under the impression haywire overrode resist, ie if you roll haywire they can't resist, and vice versa. Perhaps that was my error. I know I've fought Dredmor with a resist of about 130 and still only resisted one of his thirty or so spells.

18. Frelus

Frelus Member

Was it not the same as with crit?
    Crit = No defense options available?

19. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

or....
    [​IMG]

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  20. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

crap like this is the reason I don't like the instability mechanic.