Ominous Project Odin Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Nicholas, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Puzzle Dwarf Fortress! I will stand by this guess until I'm proven wrong in about fifteen minutes or so...

2. kino5

kino5 Member

Do you mean Sim City? Where are the Dwarves? :rolleyes:

jadkni likes this.
  3. Man, Pharaoh! That brings back memories. Wells everywhere or something like that. And really annoying firemen who would patrol irregularly and sometimes skip a part of town (which inevitably burned down). Think I got my mom into it at some point.

4. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Member

That's Gaslamp's plan for sure: We shall all get our moms to play their new game! Which inevitably leads to world domination.
    I'm really excited to see what Project Odin will become. Naturaly I'd love to see some kind of a more accessible Dwarf Fortress (though I don't know if it really should be accessible to every mom...). :D

5. Tycho

Tycho Member

(your name goes here): "Mom, what are you doing?"
    (your mother): "Suffocating mer-babies. Their bones are very valuable, you know."
    (you): :eek:

(yeah I know they already nerfed the value of mer-bone :p)

Wi§p and Klokinator like this.
  6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Things you know:

- there are gears.
    - there are boilers.
    - there are trestles.
    - there is an overseer character who has a little box that he can lug around.
    - there are shanties, and a modest collection of building materials (wood, brick)
    - there are some interesting pictures of terrain and an elevation map.
    - we've hired a character artist, an environment artist, and an animator.
    - there are Leyden jars.
    - there is networking code.

7. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

!!!

I always wondered where those little weighted boxes in the Portal games came from. The idea must be to build a factory that makes them, right?

8. Loren

Loren Member

So is it "Mine Keeper", the slightly less S&M version of dungeon keeper? Obviously, the diggles would be guests whom the overseer would have to keep happy.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

If said character is the PC, will there be a female version? :D

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, only diggle one :D

11. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I'll say this much outright: Just about every character will have a female version. (Except The Queen; already female.)

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Please have my Diggle-babies, Gaslamp.

<3

FaxCelestis likes this.
  13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... apparently, you can now also gild all of your lumber, if I am understanding David's design documents correctly.

14. Quarky

Quarky Member

I feel like these are the important things. Can we just confirm that there will be some sort of fairly micro-managed building?

15. blob

blob Member

I cant believe you didnt bold the trestles.

Wi§p likes this.
  16. Quarky

Quarky Member

I don't know, I get a weird feeling from the trestles. I mean, can we be sure the pics of them are real? What if they're actually trestles in hair? Can we trust our own eyes?:eek:
    *tinfoil hat*

But yeah, I figured building materials covered it, and gears and boilers work with Leyden jars and hint towards some machine-building aspects.

17. Godwin

Godwin Member

gilding wooden logs suggest other players you can fool, by making them think it's solid gold bullion

18. Tycho

Tycho Member

except would there be an item weight thing that would give them away as fakes? And provoke a dwarven war maybe?

Wi§p likes this.
  19. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Or maybe it's to make those damn elves not notice it's wood.

Wi§p likes this.
  20. Tycho

Tycho Member

BEAUTIFUL TREE RABBLERABBLERABBLE NOW JUST A BAUBLE *swishes off in an elven rage*

They'll sell you wood, they don't care what you do with it, as long as you aren't selling any to them. Maybe they jelly of superior dwarven carpentry.

Wi§p likes this.