Ominous Project Odin Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Nicholas, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

If you ever find/ make one, then please pm me brobbeh! (I just realized that it did sound awesome ^^)

brobbeh likes this.
  2. Razarus

Razarus Member

You will become death, the destroyer of kittens.
    But really, Dwarf Fortress + Gaslamp games = Love

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

And more hints.

Come on guys, you're letting me down here.

4. Razarus

Razarus Member

Going out of the dungeon into the open sky! ;P
    Ar out of the dungeon into another dungeon, which is also mines.

5. jadkni

jadkni Member

My speculation is as follows:

That picture of a diggle holding an egg aloft to the sky is the greatest thing ever.

6. Razarus

Razarus Member

I agree. Also i want it in 1600:900

7. Godwin

Godwin Member

'Delve Deeper' Gaslamp-style?

Hmm, well it has shanty's and mineshafts, so it combines underground with aboveground. It seems to include a 'bird's eye' perspective, slightly from a corner. It seems to include crafting... And dwarves... Pretty hard to miss dwarf fortress inspiration there, but that's been said before so errr... a real time strategy game like the old age of empires?

Sorry nvining, I am sure I continue to disappoint, give more hints ;p

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Fresh from the time rift:

First Impressions, Project Odin, Sept. 24th 2012

Project Odin is an epic exploration video game from Gaslamp Games in much the vein of oldschool platformers like The Lost Vikings. It incorporates many RPG mechanics and includes a number of stylistic nods to the studio's previous effort, Dungeons of Dredmor.

The game centers around three dwarves, Peter, Lithos and Stein, who were orphaned in the last Dwarven/Elven war and raised by diggles. They live their lives fairly simply until one day an alter of Krong falls into the diggle dungeon where they make their home and informs them that they must rise up and take their place in the coming struggle. It seems that a new war is brewing on the boarders of the dwarven kingdoms and not all is well for them.

A new power has arisen in the last twenty years. The frightening Metro Alliance, between the Elves and San Francisco, threatens the very fabric of reality (changing it from sturdy linen to supple silk.) Worse, dwarves will no longer be able to go weeks without bathing while they work in the forge! Armed with their unique skills and abilities, Peter, Lithos and Stein will have to hunt down the leaders of the Metro Alliance and make them see sense, even if they have to beat it into them! Along the way they'll have plenty of opportunities to make allies, persuade new dwarves to join the cause and overcome mind-bending puzzles.

Groundbreaking new ideas in Project Odin include the Dwarf Stacking system that lets various dwarves from the core three and the various additions to the part combine their abilities to create new effects. As the dwarves pile up stat boosts also accumulate but the group's speed drops. When not stacked dwarves the player is not currently controlling do their best to advance the party under AI control. Project Odin also includes a nifty multiplayer feature where players can each play as one of the "core" dwarves or any of the randomly generated allies they've found in their own games.

Stay tuned for more!

kino5, blob and Daynab like this.
  9. Razarus

Razarus Member

Awesome! Sound cool.

10. Nicholas

... yeah, well done that man.

There've been about three games so far that have made me go, "Man. Wouldn't it be cool if Project Odin *was* that?"

Wi§p likes this.
  11. blob

blob Member

I am surprised San Francisco would do something to prevent people from not bathing. That seems very against SF's very concept of their hobo army.

12. Godwin

Godwin Member

So which ones? If you remove stuff from the possibilities that gives us room in our heads to continue the speculation :)
    Otherwise we're just like 'maybe I already said it' and our heads take the same pathways and arrive at what we already said.

Wi§p likes this.
  13. People who don't live in California don't know anything about San Francisco or Long Beach except that we have bigger / more visible gay communities than elsewhere. A slightly bigger small number is still a small number, but meh... gotta put the stereotype somewhere, right? And it's certainly a better fit than Texas - I hear that place has nothing in it but steers!

Great post, though, Lorrelian. Don't let my minor vendetta against my locale's stereotypes make you think I dislike your AWESOME game.:D

brobbeh likes this.
  14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Wait, you're in SF Bay too? What part?

15. blob

blob Member

( San Francisco in my case. )

16. I lived with some friends in Outer Sunset for a short time. Now I live in Long Beach (LA), which coincidentally turned out to be yet another place where if I mention it, some idiot always decides to raise their eyebrows and say OH BOY LONG BEACH, HUH? HOW'RE THE GAYS- I MEAN FOG?

The fog question is pretty fair, though. Beautiful fog almost every morning at 4 am! :)

17. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm about an hour north of SF, in Fairfield.

18. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I get called out for poking fun at San Francisco.

Meanwhile, Dwarf Stacking (primary stat bonus is to the Height Index) goes totally unmentioned...

Stereotypes are a great source of humor (read Dave Barry for some great examples) so yeah, I use them a lot. But hey, I'm from Indiana, Hoosiers are too dull to have stereotypes so maybe I'm just not in a position to know. I guess I'd better go shuck the corn and milk the cows now.

UNRELATED TO THE ABOVE:

From the sounds of it, my time rift is currently connected to the future of an alternate reality! I'll see if I can get it rewired correctly and bring back news of what Project Odin really is.

19. I'd love to speculate, but there's just not enough information to go on. Mostly I just drum my fingers and wait, thankful that the devs periodically post something - even if it does nothing else, it tells us that they are alive and have TOP MEN with GREAT THINGS in store for us!

This thread might have worked better for viral word of mouth/interest/hype-generation purposes if it was a solvable puzzle via page source inspection, URL guessing, puzzle/riddle-solving, etc. Thankfully people have stepped up and made some fun theories to ponder!

20. Nicholas

Well, you know enough to make a reasonably good guess by now. You're missing a few pieces, but you should be able to make a reasonably good guess.