Ominous countdown!

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Wootah, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wootah

Wootah Member

Where is the thread discussing Ominous countdown (homepage for those of you who come straight here).
    It should be like the top thread (unless I am missing something!)

I hope it is an Odin Reveal!

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Go to the Off-Topic Discussion forum.

3. Wootah

Wootah Member

Why would it be off topic? I guess there is no general for Gaslamp games since there are no other gaslamp games.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It is Dungeons of Dredmor > Discussion, not Gaslamp Games > Discussion.

That said, I take this as an obvious sign that Project Odin is some sort of time management or worker management game, in which the player must apportion his orphan minions to tasks such as robbing the gentry, building clockwork butcher stations and fencing out Squid Deer while trying to bring about (or prevent, if we want to be boring) the coming advent of some sort of Elder Being (Case Nightmare Green?)

But perhaps this should be in a different thread...

jadkni and dbaumgart like this.
  5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Fine, you're right. Moved.)

6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Awesome! I may indeed be a Charles Stross fan. Still need to Nicholas to read that series - though he hasn't even returned my China Mieville book yet.

7. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I wasn't saying to move it, I was saying that the Odin thread was there XD

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I love Bob Howard and the Laundry. They have, among other things, given me new terror of surveillance cameras.

I haven't read much of his other stuff, but I hear its more than a little different. Can you offer any insight?

9. Silvah

Silvah Member

I wonder if the Omnious countdown is tricking us, what if this is a big Dredmor reveal, and they moved it here to hide what it really is. I could see Gaslamp doing that just force us to think... (yeah yeah, :dmg_existential:)

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

NINE DAYS what

i can't handle waiting that long

i need to know now

11. Wootah

Wootah Member

I can see that, since they didn't take it out of general immediately. But what kind of dredmor reveal would be worth a countdown? Certainly not another expansion. Ipad version?

12. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Too me, it's not that omious(except for the deer squid). If there are squid that take over your brains(not just wildlife) in Odin, it'd be as freaky as a zombie movie.

13. I think null did a good job drowning the fish, but well, I stand by what i said in the other thread. As to what I said, well it got drowned, so I won't mention it again. This deliberately confusing comment is in keeping with the "build anticipation" thing that the timer has got going. Also, squids. And remember if you know something about the countdown, the mind probe will tell us everything we need to know.

14. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It sounds like English, yet I can't seem to figure out what he's saying...

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And deer. We can't forget about those.

16. Ominous countdowns rarely make any sense. Therefore, it stands to reason that ominous comments on ominous countdowns make even less sense. That being said, after what i've seen about gaslamp, the only thing that's ominous about their announcement is that if it's about something that will be digitally available for purchase, my wallet is going to get lighter in the very near future. How's that for a prophecy?

NO, NOT THE DEES

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Squid Deer are fairly ominous. True story -- I saw big deer in my back yard when I got home this afternoon. The neighborhood kids were trying to sneak up on it the way only very young kids can -- with absolutely no subtlety whatsoever. It made me laugh. Thankfully, the kids were safe, as this was a normal deer, not a squid deer.

18. Createx

Createx Member

If it is in any way inspired by China Mieville then it's an instabuy. Oh wait, it's by GLG, it's an instabuy anyway. What should I do now?

19. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

The Family Trade / Merchant princes series feels a bit more like fantasy but is actually very rules consistent and, I think, is in part about taking the piss out of fantasy by making it about economics, in some sense. Apparently Krugman is a fan of this series; I haven't finished it, but I read the first three before falling off the wagon because Stross hadn't written the rest yet. I really intend to give them another go.

Some of his science fiction is stronger than others. I quite liked Glasshouse, especially when you consider that he's obviously writing from the perspective of someone who's played MMOs and possibly stuff like Second Life. As a rule Stross is funny, likes gadgets and interesting ideas, and spins a good yarn, but perhaps misses a bit on characters sometimes and doesn't particularly, to my mind, write capital-L 'Literature' as-such (which can be a good thing or a bad thing, of course).

I do love "A Colder War" by Stross; It's available for free online, like .. here. It's basically a Lovecraft story told in a Cold War setting; just amazing and damned grim.

Ahem, moving back on topic!

Createx and Lorrelian like this.
  20. HenrySpock

HenrySpock Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.