No use for gold? Doesnt seem like anything to buy is worth it

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by velz, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Actually, blob, if you ask r_b_bergstrom, he'll tell you that there are LOTS of little easter eggs in the room generation code, just one of which is the possibility of relevant art/blockers/etc. showing up in rooms with the appropriate names.

And yes, we need a mod with some high-end shop-ONLY expensive items for all classes. Hmm...

blob likes this.
  2. Marak

Marak Member

It's also possible that, in the next patch, some new, more expensive items will appear in shops on the RotDG Floors (since some things pertaining to the spawning of the highest levels of equipment is currently broken). But generally I agree that it's very easy to stockpile stupid amounts of Zorkmids and never find any shop-sold equipment worth spending them on.

3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I wouldn't mind having shop-only and craft-only items.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

You guys must not read the room names very often. :confused:

It's not a coincidence, I planned it that way. There's a specific way to set up statues, paintings, tapestries, and other decorations to trigger based on the room name. The main game has a few, and Interior Dredmorating just about doubled those triggers, and my next version will have even more. The tiger picture is specifically an unused graphic from the main game, but the trigger for it to show up on the wall when in a room with "Tigers" in the name is from ID.

Well, you did say in another thread that you were playing NTTG GR, didn't you? Lower difficulties provide more money, and if NTTG is off you get a lot more cash and stuff to sell.

When I beat Dredmor on Dwarvish Moderation, I had 2 million zorkmids. Since then, I tend to have a lot less money because I now play on Going Rogue and throw a lot more stuff in the fisk cube.

As Kazeto indicated, you end with a lot less money if you use Archaeology to garner XP. Have you been donning a fedora lately?

5. rulinus

rulinus Member

for that reason, i am going to empty all vending machines and turn the contents into lutefisk, gonna sink that gold, or it will not deplate:D

6. blob

blob Member

Not much fedoras wearer in my previous games, no. Selling artefacts but it only sells for like 4 or 5k ? and im talking of floor 8-15 artefacts. NTTG surely reduce by half my Zorkmids but even so, I would have finished my last game with like 90k ( 170k if I hadnt bought some big stuff ).

7. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

I got to a little over 1 mill by the end of level 9 on DM. That said I maxed out burglary quite eairly and didnt buy anything along the way, having crafted, stolen or found all my gear.

8. rulinus

rulinus Member

Just beat the game, (great run, was a little boring last few levels, but that was because of the easy difficulty, gonna try medium next run)

gold?

3.3 million in the end. mindblowing!:D

9. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, don't forget that all items on Easy are both worth more when sold and cost less to buy. Might have been a contributing factor ;)

10. r_b_bergstrom

My game with 2 mill was on Dwarven Moderation.

11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

is it even possible to create an item that shows up only in shops?

12. r_b_bergstrom

Almost, but not quite, I think.

Craftoutput="1" tells the game to rarely spawn the item, because it's a thing for crafting. I've seen such items end up in shops, or as artifacts (I think it was an inconsequentia reward?), but both are quite rare. More commonly they show up in vending machines, provided of course that they match a vending machine type.

Special="1" does something quite similar, and I've never really been able to figure out exactly how it differs. From what little testing I've been able to do of it, it seems to me like both tags restrict in roughly the same way.

There's at least one item in the main game that has both tags (Special="1" and Craftoutput="1"), and it includes a comment to the effect of "now it shouldn't spawn anywhere at all". Trying to remember, maybe it was the Badass Magical Jacket?

13. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

As far as I can tell, Craftoutput ensures it doesn't spawn randomly on the floor, but it can still spawn in shops.

Special means it shouldn't spawn randomly at all.

Of course, there are a few wierd exceptions:

-Food and drink marked with the Special flag will still spawn in vending machines.

-Potions and wands marked with the special flag won't be randomly generated, but still have a chance of spawning in if the room in particular calls for a wand or potion to be spawned, but doesn't designate the subtype.

r_b_bergstrom, Kazeto and Essence like this.
  14. r_b_bergstrom

Thanks for the clarification. I was a little off in my recollections.

FWIW, here's the reference I was thinking of. Dig the comment at the end:
    Code:
    <item name="Magical Badass Jacket" iconFile="items/armour_magical_badass.png" artifact="1" special="1" craftoutput="1" > <!-- DONT SPAWN! EVER! -->

Played 400 hours, never seen one.

Interestingly enough,
    Code:
    <item name="Haematic Phylactery" iconFile="items/misc_haematic_phylactery.png" level="1" craftoutput="1" special="1" >

sometimes shows up as a random potion spawn despite having both tags. I've seen it as a random item in a starting loadout (for alchemist, I think) and recently in a chest.

15. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Ayup. It seems to work fine for weapons, armour and reagents, but with potions and wands it's slightly off. I've given up trying to restrict my grab bag wands to certain levels or prevent them from spawning, and Ruigi had had the same trouble with his Potion of Degreelessness for his CK mod. Either there's a bug, or the flags don't seem to work the same way for all item types.

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think potions and wands (and bolts, etc.) simply use a slightly altered spawning script, so that it doesn't check one or both of these tags (or it does, but only sometimes). I don't know if that's accidental or deliberate, though.