No matter how much you hate Gangnam Style, you HAVE to give this guy his props.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Essence, May 8, 2013.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This was created as part of a fund-raising drive for a Slovenian charity. This is a famous Slovenian opera tenor singing Gangnam Style, operatically. This dude has some lungs, and it's both hysterical and awesome.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I still have no idea what "Gangnam" even means. And despite not understanding the bulk of the language he spoke, he could convey his message with grunts to equal effect. (It was funny, but I am uncertain if I found it funny for the right reasons or not.)

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's a district in South Korea. So it'd be a bit like rapping about the east side, or something like that.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  4. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Classical training is very common to all sorts of musicians as the way they started, or something else very formal like choral or marching band music, as a way to develop basic skills (classical training in particular helps develop them very far as a lot of classical music requires great proficiency to perform, either through technique or dexterity as in so much baroque music or in your ability to count and keep attention as with more recent compositions). Sometimes a formalized system like Gamelan is available as a regional alternative, but the usual alternative for learning would be folk music (blues, celtic, etc) which although mostly passed down person to person with individual lessons still tends to be highly structured. Once you have the fundamentals down well you start wanting to do your own thing.

Anyway I quite like PSY, he is engaging and his public persona is a very friendly and cooperative one. The kind of thing that resonates with my core values. Aggressive self promotion internationally is neccessary for K-pop artists to succeed as the domestic market is not very profitable at all, so part of that is just need, but darwinian selection also certainly plays a role; the playing field is set up so that the nice guys who succeed the best internationally win.

5. Godwin

Godwin Member

Agree with Kaidelong, PSY seems to be a nice guy without too much of an ego.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Generally speaking, you try dealing with instant world-wide fame and not end up with a little bit of an ego. Ego might not always be attractive to some. But it's not the ego that's usually the problem, but some things that can go along with it, such as causing you to act like an asshole, or letting it cloud your thinking. It doesn't do that to everyone, but it does it to some.

Ego by itself is not bad. But fame can screw with your mind. But worst of all is when it screws with other people's minds so that they see things that are actually good as being bad. Part of it is certainly jealousy.

As far as Psy is concerned, he wrote a catchy tune. People should simply pay attention to that instead of the cult of personality that arises from that in our culture.

OmniaNigrum, Godwin and Kazeto like this.
  7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

It's funny that people are liking my post so much given that that performer is not PSY but some slovenian guy and I was totally wrong.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was obvious, but it was still good :p

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

What matters is not the exact words but what you are trying to convey. If I agree with your train of thoughts, I click on the "Like" button/link/whatever. Had every one of us made a problem because someone got one fact that we never cared about wrong instead of simply seeing the post for everything in it but that missed fact, the whole forum would've been in flames a long time ago (and by "flames" I don't mean "people screaming at each other and being jerks" but rather "a burning village and peasants with pitchforks").

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Godwin

Godwin Member

Indeed Kazeto. In fact, I can like a post that I totally do not agree with, just because I respect the other's position (I mean, why wouldn't I? It's just as valid as my own). I did so recently with a post of Haldurson for example.

@Kaidelong: I do not understand what you got wrong? Did you think the dude opera singer was PSY?