New Player - Some questions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by firefly28, Aug 31, 2011.

1. 123stw

123stw Member

@fishofmuu
    Well, what ever is in tweakDB isn't working then. I mean you don't have to take my word for it, you can just replicate what I did yourself.

2. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Flail of Pleiades in first floor? Goddamn munchkinists. Where did they get the skillpoints?

3. by fully exploring floor 1 you can usually get lvl 3, 4 if you kill lots of minions, you just need luck with the ingredients and bam, Pleiades

4. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Well yeah... I mean... getting Serpentine and Chainaxe by floor 4 is OK with me, but I always tend to spread between several skills... the only thing I sometimes max out right away is smithing, but just because I like crafting stuff... tinkering has little need of maxing since tinkerer goggles give you that extra point of tinkering affinity :D tinkerer 4 -> tinkerer goggles -> clockwork chainaxe

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@fishofmuu "And tinkerers can no longer make hundreds of bolts from just one ore either." You don't have to resort to exaggerations on an order of magnitude greater. It makes you look like a jerk.
    And please answer my question about Translation is wrong, or I will have the IRS audit you. :) I can only be patient for so long.

Fine, it's nerfed. Hopefully it won't be hard to actually make armor and weapons still. I just think 2 at level 5 is retarded. It should have been 3.
    That makes putting points into it only useful for getting the recipes only. Which makes it suffer if there's a big run of bad luck.

And I really don't think it's fair to punish people as a whole because a few people managed to roll the dice of luck and get the ingredients for a Flail of overpowered. :)

6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Regarding the ingot output change:
    This is necessary to encourage people to actually make use of crafting at lower levels. With higher output at high levels, resources are wasted if you smelt ingots at the lower rates and therefore it is best practice in terms of optimal gameplay to not do it at all. The old way kills the skill, makes it boring because it necessary to horde material until it gets maxed.

Some aspects of the skill still do this to some degree with the variable outputs at different skill levels [see: bolts] but the effect is greatly diminished at least.

Exile likes this.
  7. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I like the change - in theory. Smithing early does feel like a waste in 1.03. I still do it, because having that early weapon or armor is still worth it, but it is a bit painful. :)

8. 123stw

123stw Member

@David

I don't think you will get the desired effect. As it stands now you simply won't get enough bronze before they becomes obsolete. So ironically I find myself using the lower smith items even less now than before.

I suggest buff copper/tin/bronze up to 3 at smith level 1, so as to make bronze gear much more accessible when they are still useful.

9. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

I find bronze gear useful for hybrid builds... good block chances but not so much of a spell power penalty. But maybe that's only on 1.03... and well, greaves are a pain, but fine bronze cuirass and heroic bronze aspis is OK.

10. 123stw

123stw Member

In the next installment the fine bronze cuirass takes away 3 magic power, so it's no longer worth using on a hybrid.

That and hybrid should be using dual staves anyway. You get another 8 block just for equipping a second staff (with staff skill), and you get +7 magic and damage to go with it. so bronze shield don't help at all.

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@David Oh, okay, I see the reason for the change. Thank you for exlpaining.

12. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

@123stw

That's what I'd do if dual wielding weren't br0k3n! %D

13. 123stw

123stw Member

@Psiweapon

The no penalty for 2 weapon isn't broken, just the bonus stats from the skill. The no penalty alone makes the skill worth picking, just don't add points to it.

Even if it's not broken it's not worth putting points into until the very end. As a hybrid you have to max your weapon, a spell line, possibly alchemy, blood mage, magic training, burglary (move in mysterious way), dodger (knightly leap). all of which are more important than a few crit points.