NEO Scavenger - Post-apocalyptic rogue-like

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by shaken, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Goddamn. I just literally clicked for AN HOUR with a character that was both Strong and armed with the stupid utility knife and I NEVER KILLED THE STUPID LOOTER.

Not a game for me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I've actually become fairly proficient at this game. Some tips:
    1. Learn the useful recipies. They WILL save your ass. In particular, Campfire (lighter + various peices of wood that can be found in forests) will help you survive nights. Torches (cloth + wood) can also be lit with lighters or campfires, massively increasing your ability to navigate and survive combat at night. Clean cloth (dirty cloth + water + pot + fire) can be used to make bandages, which are incredibly useful for keeping yourself alive and preventing bleeding. You can also combine clean cloth with wood to make splints. You can also purify water by boiling it in a similar manner. If you need dirty cloth you can tear up some types of clothing to make it.
    2. Run from most fights. I know that there's a desire in rogues to win every battle, but this game is about survival, not fighting. If you don't significantly and massively outgun an enemy you shouldn't be fighting them; the rewards are not worth it. Generally, most looters will run away from you if you shake a cleaver or crowbar at them in the early game - a good way to avoid unnecessary combat. Note that wolfmen are insanely dangerous unless you have a loaded gun and will easily end your game if you can't get away. I recommend athletic as an attribute to make fleeing easier.
    3. Herbalism and trapping are useful if you struggle with finding food. Try not to eat a lot of saltine crackers and the like if you can help it.
    4. If you're cold, keep in mind you can layer clothing quite a bit. I prefer a bunch of shirts and then a sweatshirt. This also has the benefit of giving you some extra pockets.
    5. Items to hang onto in the early game: Cooking pots, sleeping bags, water bottles, anything gun-related, crowbar.

jadkni, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just bought this one. Fucking awesome game. And they call this a beta?!?

Mutants are tens of times easier to play though. You just have so many more options.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Nice guide, MOOMANiBE; I don't necessarily agree with the second point (combat rewards can be worth it if you know how to fight and get slightly lucky; when I played it was often the act of killing a looter and finding a few cans of soup that saved my character's life), but I think beginners should stick to it unless they get to the point when they know they can survive on their own.

Well, some beta games are in beta stage because they are just being fine-tuned; it's the major companies for whom beta seems to be alpha.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If only I could force the CEOs of the major game companies to read that every hour until it is no longer true....

Aegho, Essence and Kazeto like this.
  6. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

It is, admittedly, a matter of playstyle. That said, you can often find the same goodies elsewhere with much less danger. Generally, playing cautiously will get you to a point where you're reasonably well stocked with food and water much more consistently than trying to kill looters and having to sleep off the injuries will.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. omeg

omeg Member

Well, the storyline isn't finished yet, but the setting and mechanics are great.

Mutants are certainly fun, but True Man Praetorian can kick ass too :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Surviving long enough to get your first cybernetic implant is difficult to say the least. But I get the feeling that when I manage that feat it will more than pay for itself.