NEO Scavenger - Post-apocalyptic rogue-like

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by shaken, Sep 13, 2012.

1. shaken

shaken Member

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Things I like about it:
    - Leaves a lot to the imagination without resorting to ASCII visuals.
    - Choose Your Own Adventure style moments.

Seems to be very early in development still, but shows a lot of promise.

EDIT: Oh, this page describes what aspects of NEO Scavenger you may enjoy, based on other popular games and their features: http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/6

OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Oh right, I read about this a couple weeks ago. Looks pretty neat. I was under the impression it wasn't randomly generated though?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. shaken

shaken Member

It most certainly is.

EDIT: But trying to find a confirmation on the site was difficult, so it just isn't communicated very well. You can find it in the "Strategic Turn-Based Gameplay" paragraph here: http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/8

EDIT2: Or here: http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/6

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Ah, thanks. I'm more interested in it now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I tried it. It's not all that bad, but if there's one thing it lacks, I say it's "comfort". Not the "in-game-comfort-related-to-character-tiredness", but rather the possibility of freely attaining the feeling that things aren't shot to hell. And that is because out of the starting traits, you either choose all the stuff related to hiding and trap skills, or two~three skills that make you tougher in combat and the medic skill. Which is bad, because it doesn't left much in the way of actually customizing the character if you only have one skill to choose for yourself (and only three weaknesses, which give you additional skill slots, are actually "takable", because both frailness and weakness are pretty much suicidal unless you really get lucky).

Still, the above was only with the demo, so if the issue of some skills being clearly superior gets addressed, it can end up being a rather neat game.

OmniaNigrum and shaken like this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I like it in general, but it seems a bit more polish is needed for the moment. My last four characters all died to the very first thing they fought. Two of them had reasonable items and good skills too. So I think it is not ready for prime time.

7. shaken

shaken Member

I agree with the overall usefullness of the skills being all over the place. I've been trying to take Hiding and Athletic at the very least (Athletic is probably the most powerful one right now, giving you an extra action per turn). But, as you mentioned, hopefully the imbalance will be addressed. What I found interesting is on the character select screen, at the bottom where it determines how many skill slots you get, it says "Basic Human". Makes me think there will be race selection in the future, which could give you a different set of skills / flaws and a different amount of skill slots.

Mashirafen, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Warlock

Warlock Member

Personally, as it is right now, I prefer Cataclysm the Roguelike. When some improvements are made to Neo Scavenger, I'll consider coming back.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. shaken

shaken Member

Yeah, I've never been able to handle ASCII art or just text alone, which from the screens I just looked up, is what Cataclysm uses. I like that NEO actually has some artwork for my imagination to work from.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Warlock

Warlock Member

There are tileset mods available if you prefer them.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. shaken

shaken Member

That may be worth a shot. I may give it a go this weekend.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Godwin

Godwin Member

I played the beta demo of NEO Scavenger and it's on my wishlist, nice and promising game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

Welp, there goes my Sunday afternoon.
    I think we should probably have a dedicated roguelike thread or sub-subforum.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Daynab

Sure, make a thread and I'll sticky it if you want.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Aegho

Aegho Member

Honestly I tried the demo, and not only is it pretty badly done, with poor character creation, and poor ui, but the start is so horribly hard and rng screwy the difficulty level can only be described as stupid. "You must find these things to survive, and they are rare. Also you must avoid combat at all cost because you will die".

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, it is possible to win in combat if you face something that isn't both strong and tough and you at least have strong. But it takes, like, hundreds of actions to do that thing in because you have to prioritize incapacitating it over dealing damage and that means not only you deal pretty much the lowest damage possible but you also spend like 40% of time incapacitated too (you are pretty much stumbling the guy all the time hoping to get him to bleed before you start bleeding, pretty much).
    It's a good way to get decent stuff quickly if you get lucky in combat (and unlucky on the world map), but overall you don't want to do anything of this sort.

Psiweapon and OmniaNigrum like this.
  17. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

The best combat option while unarmed is kicking them while they're down. If you consistently aim for that (which involves what Kazeto said, trying to bring the enemy down by all means, tackling, rolling, pulling their ankle) you can defeat a crowbar-armed looter with your starting gear :D ahahahah starting gear)

Doesn't work as well with dogmen AFAIK...

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  18. omeg

omeg Member

OmniaNigrum, jadkni and Kazeto like this.
  19. jadkni

jadkni Member

Yesssss. I demand more Qud exposure. We will force the developers to focus on it through the sheer influx of new fans.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

What.

Laser pistols engraved a la Dorf Fortroz?

It cannot be!

OmniaNigrum likes this.