Need some help with my mod building.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ruigi, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I made a mod that adds custom items with custom sprites. I have a problem where the image is not transparent. The white background of the item remains. I made the sprite in MSPaint. Is there a better program I could use?

Also, i created a new skillset, but the passive bonuses don't appear on the character sheet.

Code:
    <skillDB>
    <skill name="Chivalry" id="72" type="warrior" description="Placeholder.">
       <art icon="skills/skill_steamknight.png"/>
       <loadout type="armour" subtype="Leather Cap"/>
       </skill>
    <ability name="Chivalry" icon="skills/skill_steamknight.png" skill="72" startSkill="1">
      <description text="Placeholder."/>
      </ability>

<ChivalrySkills>
     <ability name="Tech Saavy" icon="skills/skill_steam1.png" skill="72" level="0" >
      <description text="You are familiar with mechanisms, traps and other technological implements." />
      <secondarybuff id="20" amount="1" /> <!-- tinkering -->
      <secondarybuff id="17" amount="1"/> <!-- trap sight -->
      <resistbuff blasting="1"/> 
      </ability>
     <ability name="Dabbling Metallurgist" icon="skills/skill_steam0.png" skill="72" level="1" >
      <description text="Your close affinity with mechanical technology gives you an eye for metalworking." />
      <secondarybuff id="19" amount="1" /> <!-- smith -->
      <secondarybuff id="18" amount="1" /> <!-- sight -->
      </ability>
    <ability name="Clockwork Knight's Leap" icon="skills/spells/skill_placeholder.png" skill="72" level="2">
      <spell name="Clockwork Knight's Leap"/>
      <description text="You learn to propel yourself by detonating an explosive below your feet just as you jump through the air. Works in an L-shape."/>
      </ability>
    <ability name="Steam Powered Armor" icon="skills/skill_placeholder.png" skill="72" level="3">
    <description text="You craft a hermetically sealed armor endoskeleton that grants you protection against various hazardous environments."/>
    <resistbuff blasting="1" toxic="2" asphyxiative="2" putrefying="2" acidic="2"/>
    </ability>
    <ability name="Rocket Jump" icon="skills/spells/skill_placeholder.png.png" skill="72" level="4">
      <spell name="Rocket Jump"/>
      <description text="With a well placed grenade blast, you can send yourself anywhere to a horizontal or vertical direction."/>
      </ability>
    </ChivalrySkills>
    </skillDB>

Also, the two special abilities don't work properly.
    "clockwork knight's leap" creates an explosion at the point you click on, not the character.
    "Rocket Jump" crashes the game when I level up the skill.

Code:
    <spellDB>
    <spell name="Clockwork Knight's Leap" type="knightlyleap" downtime="7" icon="skills/rogue/leap32.png">
     <description text="Detonate an explosive below your feet just as you jump through the air. Works in an L-shape."/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Frag Bomb Center" self="1" />
    <effect type="teleport"/>   
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" sfx="missile" centerEffect="0"/>
       </spell>
    <spell name="Rocket Jump" type="rook" downtime="21" icon="skills/skill_placeholder.png">
       <description text="With a well placed grenade blast, you can send yourself anywhere to a horizontal or vertical direction."/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Grenade Center" self="1"/>   
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" sfx="explosion!" centerEffect="0"/>
       </spell>
    </spellDB>

I'm not sure what to do to make my spells work. I want them to create an explosion centered around the character, and then a teleport according to the guidelines of the spell. (the idea is that you damage yourself and the enemies adjacent to you as you teleport)

2. Knallis

Knallis Member

As for the sprites, I was going to do that myself tomorrow so I am not entirely sure yet what has to be done. Either the game recognizes an exact, precise color to ignore, or you have to use an alpha channel.

I don't remember the specifics because I haven't done sprite comics since I was a teenager, and ms paint was different then, but I think if you use the dropper to select the color of your sprite then click the eraser tool, and then right click on the image and drag it all over the place, it will erase that exact color and turn it into the equivalent of an alpha channel. If that doesn't work, download gimp and then use the above mentioned procedure in ms paint, copy it, then paste it over an actual alpha channel in gimp I guess, then save as a png.

That's what I was thinking I'd have to do anyway, but I'm reaaally fucking green at this, so when someone who isn't a night owl pops up they might have better advice.

I have no idea how to fix your spell though, but I think what's going to happen is that you'd have to split it up into two spells that trigger each other, but I'm basically talking out of my ass. Perhaps you can make a compromise and just tell the code to make you blink and get rid of the rook thing. I think that would be a lot easier than using a target tile mechanic, making an explosion, and then teleporting in that order.

3. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

I use Photoshop, because, well, it's friggin amazing! And yeah, the sprites have a transparent background I think that why they are in PNG format. If you want, I can make it transparent for you. :D

<ChivalrySkills>
    <ability name="Tech Saavy" icon="skills/skill_steam1.png" skill="72" level="0" >
    <description text="You are familiar with mechanisms, traps and other technological implements." />
    </ability>

ChivalrySkills has no variable and should probably be replaced with <!-- ChivalrySkills -->

Use the script for blinding flash for frag bomb and change the self="0"to "1" for the frag bomb area hit

Rocket jump is probably crashing because it is the last ability of you mod, which always crash the game.
    Add an ability after it with a blank icon and the description: Do not get! or something to that effect.

4. Ruigi

I managed to get the jump spells to work.

still can't figure out why the passive buffs aren't showing up on the character sheet.

5. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Primary buffs do not work when applied to abilities.

6. Ruigi

I fixed some problems, but i still can't get the passive bonuses to show up on the character sheet. here is the updated skillDB

Code:
    <skillDB>
    <skill name="Chivalry" id="72" type="warrior" description="Placeholder.">
       <art icon="skills/skill_steamknight.png"/>
       <loadout type="armour" subtype="Leather Cap"/>
       </skill>
    <ability name="Chivalry" icon="skills/skill_steamknight.png" skill="72" startSkill="1">
      <description text="Placeholder."/>
      </ability>

<ChivalrySkills>
      </ability>
     <ability name="Dabbling Metallurgist" icon="skills/skill_steam0.png" skill="72" level="1" >
      <description text="Your close affinity with mechanical technology gives you an eye for metalworking." />
      <secondarybuff id="19" amount="1" /> <!-- smith -->
      <secondarybuff id="18" amount="1" /> <!-- sight -->
      </ability>
    <ability name="Clockwork Knight's Leap" icon="skills/skill_steam0.png" skill="72" level="2">
      <spell name="Clockwork Knight's Leap"/>
      <description text="You learn to propel yourself by detonating an explosive below your feet just as you jump through the air. Works in an L-shape."/>
      </ability>
    <ability name="Steam Powered Armor" icon="skills/skill_placeholder.png" skill="72" level="3">
    <description text="You craft a hermetically sealed armor endoskeleton that grants you protection against various hazardous environments."/>
    <resistbuff blasting="1" toxic="2" asphyxiative="2" putrefying="2" acidic="2"/>
    </ability>
    <ability name="Rocket Jump" icon="skills/skill_steam0.png" skill="72" level="4">
      <spell name="Rocket Jump"/>
      </ability>
      <ability name="HELLO DESKTOP" icon="nope" skill="72" level="5">
      <description text="Crashes the game."/>
      </ability>
    </ChivalrySkills>
    </skillDB>

SpellDB.xml
    Code:
    <spellDB>
    <spell name="Grenade Center2" type="self" >
       <effect type="damage" blasting="8" affectscaster="1" />
       <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/blastB/blastB" frames="4" framerate="70" centerEffect="1" sfx="explosion"/>
       <effect type="trigger" spell="Grenade Blast2" />
       </spell>
    <spell name="Grenade Blast2" type="template" templateID="11" >
       <effect type="damage" blasting="10" affectscaster="1" />
       <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/combust_hit/combust_hit" frames="9" framerate="80" centerEffect="1" sfx="blast"/>
       </spell>
       <spell name="Grenade Center3" type="self" >
       <effect type="damage" blasting="12" affectscaster="1" />
       <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/blastB/blastB" frames="4" framerate="70" centerEffect="1" sfx="explosion"/>
       <effect type="trigger" spell="Grenade Blast2" />
       </spell>
    <spell name="Grenade Blast3" type="template" templateID="11" >
       <effect type="damage" blasting="20" affectscaster="1" />
       <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/combust_hit/combust_hit" frames="9" framerate="80" centerEffect="1" sfx="blast"/>
       </spell>
    <spell name="Clockwork Knight's Leap" type="knightlyleap" downtime="2" icon="skills/rogue/leap32.png">
     <description text="Detonate an explosive below your feet just as you jump through the air. Works in an L-shape."/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Grenade Center2"/>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" sfx="explosion" centerEffect="0"/>
       </spell>
    <spell name="Rocket Jump" type="rook" downtime="4" icon="skills/skill_steam0_small.png">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Grenade Center3"/>   
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" sfx="explosion" centerEffect="0"/>
       </spell>
    </spellDB>

7. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Where did you find buff to add smithing?

Also, that last ability made me laugh!

8. Ruigi

i just copied the buff from the smithing tree.

9. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Well I just tried to do it with alchemy and it didn't work, so my guess would be you can't add buffs to ability yet.

10. Ruigi

regardless, you also can't add vision, trap sight, or blast resistance.

11. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

I don't think any of the stats work.

12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

pixlr.com/editor

13. Ruigi

I've combed over everything and for the life of me I cannot figure out why the passive abilities aren't working, perhaps it is bugged?

14. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Dude, I've been trying to tell you that!

15. Knallis

Knallis Member

Indeed, and its not just primary stats either. Every stat seems to not add, including resistances. If you want a skilltree that resists something, buffs a stat, or whatever, it won't work.
    Someone proposed on the mod guide that a thread listing things we suspect are bugged for mod support.

16. Minor point: "Savvy", not "saavy".