musical selection menu

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Ruigi, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've noticed that some games, namely TF2 and Crusader Kings 2, have implemented a musical menu interface for things like character selection or choosing a location on a map. Are there any plans to incorporate this type of feature in CE?

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Don't really understand what this means in this context...?

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Possibility of assigning specific tracks from the in-game soundtracks to play on certain in-game screens. Like setting a wallpaper, only more musical.

I don't think such an option is necessary for the game, but each to their own.

4. Ruigi

ergh no... i need to record a video of this to demonstrate... what is good recording software?

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Fraps? It's pretty basic, but that means you should be able to get it working without much of a hassle.

6. Ruigi

I couldn't get the recording software to work in TF2, but this is the example from CK2.

Notice how every time i click on one of the provinces to view the ruler, a musical note plays.

7. EvilCyst

EvilCyst Member

I get what you mean. When you click on something, you get a music clip or sound that plays to show you clicked.
    In this case, it played a note from a music instrument.

Am I correct?

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

In simpler terms, what you want is for the game to give you better audio feedback?

9. Ruigi

It's a bit more subtle than that.

Some menus at game start will require the character to make important far reaching choices that will affect the rest of his game. An example from Dredmor would be the "Character skill select screen". The musical menu would play a musical note when the player examines a particular choice or a list of choices. the sound only should play by what ever action is required to study the choice.

For example: If i have to choose my Empire's starting location, each spot that I wish to examine would play a musical note or melody when I click on it. I think it's a nice way to immerse the player in the game as he/she ponders their starting choice.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

So, to put it in a simple way, you want sound effects to play on mouse clicks.

11. Ruigi

correction: Musical notes, i want musical notes to play on mouse clicks.

12. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Well in most game you hear "click" when you click on something.
    In dredmor you would hear "SKÖL!" or a sound associated with the item you're clicking on.

I reckon the musical notes on CK2's interface were a nice touch, but then, it's pretty trivial.

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Whatever Ruigi, musical notes are sound effects too. Unless you specifically want it to play from .midi files.

14. Jace

Jace Member

So what you're saying is that for DoD, each skill would have its own unique musical note? So for people like me who sit there for 10-20 minutes clicking on all the skill trees trying to find the perfect combination of skills to fit my current mood, I can be making a phat beat at the same time? Perhaps subtly influencing my choices if i hear a particularly resonant note?

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

We're talking about Clockwork Empires in this subforum, and not about Dungeons of Dredmor. But that wouldn't be a bad idea, only one that is too time-consuming for them to add (because, once again, they aren't likely to make any changes to DoD that require serious coding and don't add any functionality).

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. Jace

Jace Member

well I was just using DoD as an example since I have no idea what the CE interface will be like in reference to ruigi's thoughts :) Since we're all so much more familiar with that game! Since they're still developing CE it would be pretty cool if they added something like this!

Kazeto likes this.