Music of choice of Dredmor players

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 3, 2012.

?

What Genres do you tend to listen to the most

1. Classic Rock

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Indie Rock

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Mainstream Pop

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Country

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Punk Rock

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Heavy Metal

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. EDM (Electronic Dance Music, Dubstep, House, Trance)

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Funk

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. Jazz

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm starting to wonder if we should link videos rather than post them. This topic comes close to crashing Firefox more often than I'd like.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If adobe updated its flash... They are aware the latest version crashes but it's taking them forever to release it.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Huh. Well, I'm also thinking that some people have less-good connections too.

'sjust an idea, that's all.

4. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

In my case, Youtube videos (and only youtube videos) have been freezing my entire system at random for...oh, six months now? But I can't get any support for it because the crash involves my graphics card in some way and I haven't been able to update my drivers for that for over a year, and nobody's willing to talk to me if I don't have the newest shiniest drivers.

Can't get support for the latter, either; I've just been ignored entirely, possibly because my card's five years old. Thoroughly tempted to never buy Nvidia ever again, except for the fact that the last ATI card I bought also caused freezing before the BIOS even finished booting.

5. Aegho

Aegho Member

It's shockwave flash's fault, not your graphics card. You need to purge the flash process now and then, especially after watching a lot of streaming video. The process bloats until it uses up enough memory to cause a crash.

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Oh cool! Not that I'm happy, I'm just happy that there is a known cause for what I've been experiencing and that maybe it will get fixed. I actually have a great connection, but have had problems with flash.

7. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

It's actually confirmed in my case to be correlated somehow with my graphics card. The system freeze happens entirely at random, sometimes the first time I watch a video after booting, and on the rare occasion where I get an actual BSOD instead of just my system freezing up, the listed culprit is "nv4_disp.dll" which is part of the Nvidia graphics card driver.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Ah, that's a tricky one that is. I used to have LOADS of BSODs due to that file, but it depends more on the drivers for me than the card, though I don't think I've had many (if any) due to that file on my newer card.

9. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

And? You're not really making a point there. Updating doesn't mean fixing. nVidia are terrible for it. I had to use drivers months old (at the time) to stop/minimise the BSODs (196.something?), because the latest caused issues. Same with The Settlers 7 - I had to play it on an older set of drivers because the newer ones broke it.

If you haven't rolled back, it's definitely worth trying to, but I suspect you have. Just giving my experience, that's all.

11. My last.fm says all, but briefly, I listen to a lot of black metal and industrial/post-industrial music. Are we or are we not allowed to post videos in the thread? O:

12. Daynab

Go ahead, flashes crashes will happen regardless on these forums because the file uploader is flash (I was alerted to this issue yesterday.)

13. Daynab

Here's some pretty inoffensive indie rock I've been listening to lately:

I just love the chorus so much, it feels really out-of-worldly

edit: and this song is catchy as hell

14. dissection

dissection Member

Clicked EDM, HipHop, Heavy Metal and Indie rock (i guess it is):

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The intro for this is amazing.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've also been listening to a whole lot of The Black Keys. They are one of the very few contemporary bands that I love. A couple of others have songs here and there, but they are the only ones that I've actually gotten me to buy albums. Here's a couple more:

17. Daynab

Lately I've discovered The Flobots, a rock/hip hop band that's really unique by having a LOT of music, in fact one of the main instruments used is a viola, and also a trumpet, it's pretty interesting.

It's basically the ultimate opposite of gangsta rap, which I don't enjoy.

Favorite song, more quiet (great video too), incredible climax

Another one, heavy use of the viola I mentioned.

Finally one of the funkiest beats ever:

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

19. Aegho

Aegho Member

Now you're closing in on IRC chat video wars territory.