Music of choice of Dredmor players

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 3, 2012.

?

What Genres do you tend to listen to the most

1. Classic Rock

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Indie Rock

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Mainstream Pop

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Country

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Punk Rock

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Heavy Metal

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. EDM (Electronic Dance Music, Dubstep, House, Trance)

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Funk

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. Jazz

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Frelus

Frelus Member

What? I am the only one who said he likes country?
    Mind you, by far not all country, but gems like this:

Although I have to say, I listen to pretty many things, metal, Dubstep, Punk Rock, and some Rap (no gangster rap, though)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

With all due respect, I find Johnny Cash's rendition of "Hurt" offensive. This likely is puzzling to many here. But if you do a cover of someone else's music, you *MUST* not change any single word of the lyrics.

"I wear this crown of shit" is the original. Cash found this offensive and changed it. I have no musical talent, but I would gladly hear covers of his music with that word he changed replacing words he used to good effect in his own music.

Understand that I do not hate him for doing this. And I mostly understand why he did it. But he changed the meaning and turned it from a cover into a mockery in my never humble opinion.

Trent Reznor is also the individual who made his own "Record Label" and allowed other bands and artists to sign on and have real control of their work. (That was something I never said in the thread where it came up. He did that after getting pissed off about ridiculous rules that hindered sales in favor of a tight leash.) Artists who sign up have real control and are not pencil whipped for innovation like allowing their music to be downloaded freely in the hope of drawing new customers who will actually pay.

There. I had my say. I will now shut the hell up. After I link in the original from NiN. (Skip to 2:30 to hear the one word of difference between the two versions.)

*Edit* Jump to 1:50 to hear the edited line in Cash's rendition.

Frelus likes this.
  3. Frelus

Frelus Member

I can't view that....
    [​IMG]
    (Text: This video contains content owned by UMG. This partner hates you is an asshole has locked this video in your country due to copyright reasons.)
    So I did not know the original version.
    But as far as I am concerned, doing a cover of someone else's song means adding your own, personal touch to it.
    I do not want this to derail this thread by desolving in argumenting, counterargumenting, etc, so let's simply say we have different definitions for a cover.
    Also, another great countrysong just came to my mind:

OmniNegro and SkyMuffin like this.
  4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

From a poet's point of view, what bothers me greatly about the change from "crown of shit" to "crown of thorns" is that it introduces a huge difference of meaning in the text. "Crown of shit" may have originally been intended to be a Jesus reference, but a twisted, cynical one that fits with the theme of the song. "Crown of thorns" turns the singer into a messianic figure who suffers unjustly-- this implies that he cares much more than I think the original, nihilistic version intended.

Individual word choice is very important in any poetic form, including song lyrics.

Anyway, back to country-- I don't listen to as much as I should, but I do like Lambchop.

And bluegrass (i mean i kind of should since i am from KY):

OmniNegro and Frelus like this.
  5. Frelus

Frelus Member

Also, for the record:
    Nine Inch Nails has recorded another version of it, too, with "crown of thorns":

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Any metal with a good bass line works for me, too.

7. Frelus

Frelus Member

Ah yes, things apart from country.
    There would be:
    German Rap:
    Fettes Brot:

Automatikpistole (Machine Pistol would be the most fitting translation, I guess), is something like a wake-up call to all the musicians and TV-shows which treat men who do not embody the "manly" stereotype as weak. And to the people who bring violence everywhere, telling them to stop.

Punkrock:
    Die Ärzte:

Schrei nach Liebe (Cry/Scream [Cry fits better, I think] for Love) is a song directed to fascistic people, basically being a huge "The Reason You Suck" Speech.

Papa Roach:

I just like their music :D

8. Frelus

Frelus Member

Metal:

What more is there to say?

Also, if you like synthetic, non-vocal music, visit the guys at Zero Project, who let you download their great tunes for free.

Oh, and before I forget them:

(I personally like the "The New Guy" version even more ;))

Beardyman rocks. 'Nuff said

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hmmm. I cannot find what recording this is. Was this ever on a released album, or just a promo video? The Youtube link is dated December 28th of 2010, whereas The original "Hurt" audio on "The Downward Spiral" was 1994. I wonder because of the fact that Cash did his cover in 2002. If I am understanding everything correctly, there was never a non-live version of Hurt as a music video. This is pretty clear from the following link.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)

I have listened to each and every song NiN did. Or at least I thought I had. I never until this day heard Reznor say thorns in place of shit. I honestly suspect he did so to shut up people wondering what they heard. And I am fine with that. I do not hate Cash even if he did this intentionally to change the song. He changed it and as SkyMuffin said, it greatly changes the meaning. I do not think it was a positive change. But sadly Cash died soon after doing the cover and we can only speculate now.

So if you will all agree to disagree, let us drop it and love both versions of the song for different reasons. Aside from the one word difference, Cash did a wondrous job on the cover. If that is country, then I suppose I can like country. :)

For the future, I will attempt to abstain from commenting on this particular thing. It is never going to be fair since Cash is gone and cannot say his side of the story. So since I said it was offensive, I hereby retract my statement of that. I will edit that out. Apologies to any who read that and found it callous and cold. For the future I will presume Cash wanted to do a good cover and I just took it too seriously.

I am editing my previous post right after I post this one.

10. Frelus

Frelus Member

No offense, callousness or coldness taken ;)
    I agree that there is no sense in speculating, and I would rather have this issue rest, too.
    G'night then, guys, imma sleep off the pulling of my wisdom teeth.
    Painkillers making me sleepy.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sleep well and may your pain ease while you sleep. :)

12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

One of my favorite restaurants around calls itself Japanese-Fusion. They have all the usual sashimi, California rolls, Teriyaki, Tempura and whatnot, but their sushi chefs also come up with all sorts of non-traditional dishes and interesting rolls that are mostly original. But that's not the reason why I'm posting about them in a music thread.

The reason I'm posting about them is that they play this music all the time which has all sorts of pop music, blues, etc. but in a clearly Japanese style (but not usually in the Japanese language). I don't know how familiar people are here with Japanese style music but it takes out any soul that a song formerly had and really turns it into pseudo Muzak, but not quite that awful. It's very pop/youth-oriented, and very generic. Anything that is interesting or unique about the song is kind of smoothed over with a sander. On the other hand, it's a very polished sound. As I said, the closest parallel I can think of is muzak.

Then again, it's not meant to appeal to my tastes, it's meant to appeal to a young Japanese audience. So although it's not my music of choice, it is interesting from a cultural standpoint.

And that's how I look at non-faithful renditions of other people's music -- with the concept that although I may not like it, there's likely an audience that does.

In any case, if you intend to make a faithful rendition of someone else's piece, why bother recording it because it's only an exercise in craftsmanship then -- there's no artistry in it. An artist SHOULD do his own thing even when borrowing from other artists. So in my mind, not only is there nothing wrong with changing lyrics or a tune, but not doing so is kind of dishonest. I may no like the changes, but the original will always exist for me so there is no damage done.

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

Some of the japanese anime music is good, but they're exceptions more than the rule... not a big fan of jpop.

Even the good examples tend to suffer from engrish.

Bad series, good song.

14. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

What am I supposed to select for this? Surely not EDM?

Anyway I chose Jazz. Jazz and classical tie as my next favorites. I also like ancient music, not sure if that counts as folk or classical, but usually the stuff I like is just before the baroque period and sounds similar (Byrd, Bull, et al).

SkyMuffin likes this.
  15. jadkni

jadkni Member

If we're going to talk about Japanese music, I have to mention Gackt. Like or hate his music (I like some, hate a lot), he's nothing if not an interesting guy. Depending on what section of nerd culture you call home, he may have been involved in something you recognize without knowing who he was.

Frankly I don't even mention him because of his music at all, but here's one of his songs I'm fond of.

16. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Edit: Quick edit because I just realised you probably already know the genre. I misread sorry :p. I'll keep the reply intact though.

IDM, perhaps? I haven't really explored the genre myself, but my absolute favourite band are notorious for switching up genres between each album. They certainly had a phase that sounded like that, and IDM was the general consensus.

And because I mentioned contrast, their initial work was with black metal. Can't say I prefer one era over the other, this stuff is raw, earthly, and majestic. Acquired taste though, I guess.

Really interesting band, some of my most respected musicians.

17. mining

mining Member

It's been my song on repeat for about 7 LoL games, and I'm winning more than I'm losing.

18. Frelus

Frelus Member

Music for LoL-games?

Also, the alt-text (hover your mouse over the picture) here says it all:
    http://xkcd.com/337/

19. Warlock

Warlock Member

This also fits very well for certain levels of Dungeons of Dredmor....... I had this playing on loop while I fought Big D himself on my last run.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I feel like this should be played when a boss monster shows up. Or maybe in a monster zoo.