Most Fun Builds?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Stupid Beard, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Takin

Takin Member

Swords, Dual Wielding, Beserker, Vampirism, Assassination, Ninjutsu, Bushido.

Very fun so far on GR. I apologize if you try this and it fails later on as this is like the second run through I've ever done and I didn't make it very far my first time. First point into the second Vampirism spell so you can actually heal up to full off anything you fight. You won't make it very far without that. As soon as you start equip the ninja tabi and sword with the default wep and you should be able to make it to level 1(2?) without a ton of trouble. I'll come back after I've gone as far as this build will take me and speak some more :)

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that I die by traps.. No detection for them and I cant heal except by eating corpses/fighting in melee so yeah. Be careful around them.

Edit: Floor one clear without a hitch. Skill order thus far has been 1Vamp>1Bushido>1Swords. I'm excited because before I was only on DM and barely making it with a build that wasn't even mine. Now I'm breezing through GR with an original! It feels good. Ninjutsu could probably be replaced with anything else.. I haven't used it much at all and kind of regret the choice.

What do you guys think are flaws in this build?

2. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

My favorite Pyromancy non-mod build is Promethean + Golemancy + Leylines + Blood Magic, with the rest wherever you want it because those four are all you need.

1. Raise walls with Golemancy
    2. Gog's Tactical Pyre
    3. ???
    4. Leylines teleport in an emergency. Or when your walls expire and you must rebuild. Or whenever you feel like it.

If you hit something immune to fire, you can Thaumite it and wait it out behind your mighty walls. Or invest in a solution with your three remaining skills.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am currently trying the following skills:
    Blood Knight
    Clockwork Knights
    Dragon Knight
    Elemental Warrior
    Ninjitsu
    Practical Geology
    Usurper

I also have ID loaded. That is eight mods and seven are skills. I have zero base skills.

This build is an attempt at a melee focused character that can actually compete on GRPDNTTGRotDG. I suck at melee builds. So far it is actually working. When leveled up it will have two teleport skills and pretty uber melee and throwing damage. The two teleports have no mana cost and a 40 turn cooldown on one and 25 for the other.

I was loathe to include Ninjitsu, but being able to make throwing ammo as needed is pretty awesome. And nearly essential for this particular build.

When combat gets really intense, I Become The Dragon and mop the deck with anything not heavily resistant to fire. I found that in Dragon form it is better to move around the enemies than to attack them. It really works better that way. I enjoy teleporting into a zoo and activating Eruption Slam and then Burning Adrenaline and finally Become The Dragon to mop up whatever remains.

Thoughts?

4. This is a very strong Melee build and you will find it very OP. I've mixed and matched all of them except Elemental Warrior and Paractical Geology. Go with the build, as you will find out about each skill and how they overlap, compliment and don't compliment one another. :)
    As for Ninjitsu, I'm just now using it in a non-beta patch build. It has turned out to be a fun and useful skill. My thrown weapons are suprisingly powerful, but not to powerful, yet. Still a young play character, but have maxed out Archeology and Ninjitsu.

You will have fun with your build, provided your interested in learning skills & fun over challenge. :)

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You have that right. It is OP by far. But strange as it seems, Ninjitsu is worthless by DL 11. At that point the only way it would be worthwhile is if I had unlimited Clockwork Sawblades to throw. (I am probably overlooking it's usefulness in some way though.) The procs on thrown are great. And until DL 9 or so they were usually enough to weaken things enough that I could oneshot them once they were in Melee range.

I do find it very very strange that I had overlooked CK's Rocket Jump ability. It is the best teleport of them all due to the low cooldown of three turns. It was DL 8 or 9 before I actually bothered to use it...

At DL 10 and 11 I learned why CK is so awesome. Before that it had seemed a tiny bit weak. That is simply because I am not a crafter build. Once CK items started dropping regularly I was drooling. :)

I am currently on DL 12 and all but dead. I have few remaining resources and little hope of survival. I could stair hop and spam Secret Sword, but nothing will really help at this depth. I may make it still. It all depends on very very careful advancement.

6. I've had a lot of fun with my omnidisciplinary warrior build: All of the weapon skills unarmed combat, dual wielding, and deadshot. The sheer number of multi-target cooldown attacks I have access to is absurd.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

How do you heal? Or are you mostly focusing on the "If it ain't broke, you need not fix it." theology of killing everything before they do serious damage to you?

And I thought Unarmed only added stats when you are in fact not wielding a weapon. Am I missing something?

On an unrelated note, it just occurred to me that an unarmed caster type could use that and two clockwork deflectors. I wonder if the knockback proc on being hit stacks? Otherwise it would be useless to have more than one for obvious reasons.

8. I only get stats for the two weapons I'm currently wielding, but I have access to ALL of the AOE cooldown effects. ALL SIX OF THEM.

Throwing Buffalo technique, Grey Heron Takes Flight, Ki Cascade Strike, Thibault's Trompement, Ragnar's Meteor, and Norwegian Axenado.

My crowd control is simply obscene, and I can heal by just pressing = three times and running back and forth in fast-forward mode. or, in a pinch, I use food, and if I'm in a REAL pinch, I use a healing potion.

Wi§p likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I finally beat Lord Dredmor. He was easier than lots of things are. It was pretty disappointing. I am playing a vastly overpowered set of mods, but I would have expected him to be at least ten times as potent as an average monster. He felt about as tough as two or maybe three monsters down on DL 15.

On a side note, DL 13, 14, and 15 all felt about equal in difficulty.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the dungeon go down to level 20 or more? That could make it a bit more challenging if things scale well.

I am certain someone has said it before, but I think the last level needs to be much more special. It should be unique and perhaps even a static map instead of a normal map. Ah well. This has nothing to do with this thread. I just wanted to say I finally beat the game. And I did not even cheat once besides the mods. (Some would say the mods themselves are cheats. I disagree, but respect their opinion.)

For reading ease, here are the mods I was using. (I used every skill listed. No normal skills whatsoever.)
    Blood Knight
    Clockwork Knights
    Dragon Knight
    Elemental Warrior
    Ninjitsu
    Practical Geology
    Usurper

Now I think I will try the few skills I have never used like Fleshsmithing. (I think there is one more in the base game I never tried.)

*Edit* About the fun of this build... It was good for melee. I only ever got to about half health at the worst in a zoo, but did not need to teleport out. I was at full health in two turns from the Bunglecap and "Fallen One" kills alongside the Blood Knight skills.