Most Fun Builds?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Stupid Beard, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Stupid Beard

Stupid Beard Member

I was just wondering what builds/combination of skills people find the most fun? I realise the definition of fun is going to be different for everyone. I am mainly looking to find some jumping off points for experimenting.

The build I have had the most fun with has been Necro + Blood Magic + Emo + Mathemagic + Alchemy. The other two skills don't really matter, but keeping on top of mana sucks until around DL4 or 5 (on DM/NTTG) so it's probably worth taking something that helps carry you through the first few levels for little investment.

I think I got the idea for this build from another thread, but I can't find it now so I don't know who thought of it. Thanks, though, whoever you are ;)

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I don't think I've ever had as much fun as when I decided to go all mod-style and play a pure thief: Piracy (my rebalanced version where Plunder actually gives you loot), Burglary, Demonology (to deal with Dread Collectors when the time came), Clutch of Midas, Silver Tongue, SwiftStriker, and Emomancy primarily to throw down Anti-magic fields for to keep the Dread Collectors from casting Corpse Burst.

I made it to floor 7 purely because I was able to steal a batshitcrazy Cloak of Sagan with 6 armor resist on floor 2. :) Ended up dying to? Dread Collectors. Even inside of a Celestial Circle with Fervor of the Flagellent blazing, they got lucky and scored four attacks in a row where (Sliver Tongue 6) Pimp My Hide's self-damaging midas proc went off and my HP vanished too quickly. But that was a riot.

RaustBlackDragon and Wi§p like this.
  3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Dear lord, Clutch of Midas, Piracy, and Silver Tongue? You must have been swimming in money.

4. Rikaru20

Rikaru20 Member

My favorite build seems to be Archeology, Burglary, Dual Wielding, Smithing, Dragon Knight, Clockwork Knight, and Bushido, lately.

I dunno, I seem to have a much easier time with this build, and I can get 7 Smithing early with the right level-ups.

5. I like proc-heavy builds a lot. Seeing all the words pop out of my enemies, hearing a cacophony of sfx... it all makes me feel like I'm playing Unreal Tournament or something, and adds a lot of satisfaction to the otherwise dull task of whacking people with weapons.

My favorites are gravedigger (for that drops-from-the-sky visual effect that falls on the enemy), swords or unarmed for all the loud noises, and of course berserker rage.

Spells, despite their often-impressive visual effects and slew of intensity, area, and debuff choices, feel a little too much like "push button, receive kill" - and are typically a single sound or visual effect instead of a pile of them.

6. Rikaru20

Rikaru20 Member

Speaking of 7 Smithing and lucky level-ups...

[​IMG]

7. Stupid Beard

Stupid Beard Member

It is interesting that most replies here seem to play mods. I still have a number of skill lines I've never played so I'm slowly trying to work 1 or 2 in with each play through. I'm not sure I'll look at mods until I've tried all the stock ones at least once. I may change my mind on that, though :)

I have been playing a couple of proc heavy builds lately.

The first was an axe dual wielder that was built as almost pure melee; I think the only non-warrior line was fleshsmithing. This build sucked. It took forever to clear the first couple of zoos and was pretty dull. There was also no curse cure so sight range debuffs got so annoying that I was mentally adding "-1000000 fun" to the description of the debuff. This was made worse by the monsters casting it a lot and usually multiple monsters casting it on you at the same time.

I finally gave up on that build in a zoo on DL6 or 7 (forgot which) when, after killing a good 40 - 50 monsters the slow way, found that the only ones left were about 10 - 20 masks. The RNG hated me so I had no AoE ranged arrows and I couldn't kill the masks fast enough. I'd get one dead and the others would resurrect the one I just killed and/or a snow baal. I did back track and go somewhere else, but then the same thing happened on a smaller scale in another room. It was the most frustrating and annoying build I've played yet, and actually the one that spawned this thread.

Current build is dual wielding staves (yes, I have 4 hands!) along with necro, emo, viking, math, and blood magic. He is seriously squishie, but can go toe to toe in melee with muscle and arch diggles as long as pact of fleeting life is up. Pretty fun build ... lots of procs, I melee alot and only really fall back to rift for zoos and when there's too many monsters to survive in melee. It's also nice not having any crafting skills since my inventory doesn't get filled with crap. Dredmor is going to be hard though, I think.

8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I had a werediggle crossbowman tinkerer that was a lot of fun. Run and gun until they got too close, then diggle out and smash them. Was carrying two copies of Universal Principles and a Clockwork Bolt Launcher when I made the mistake of being a little too close when I launched a Squid Bolt. I think I would have been OK but sometimes by mouse double right-clicks, so I launched two of them and couldn't back out of the resulting killzone before they killed me.

9. Essence

Seems like lately most of the most active people on the forums are the modders. :) For fun non-mod builds, I had a great time with a

Necronomiconimics
    Staves
    Dual Wield
    Blood Magic
    Demonology
    Burglary
    Emomancy

build. 1 point in Burlgary for all that sweet lockpick XP, straight up Emomancy to Mark of the Black Eyeliner for the Necro resist, 2 points in Demonlogy for Celestial Circle, and then straight up necro to Pact of Fleeting Life. The zoo on DL2 is mildly scary because you can't go all Mark/Pact on it, but My Chemical Explosion works well with Blood Magic to basically remain endlessly castable at that level. Once you get Mark/Circle/Mark/Pact, though, you're basically unstoppable. Then you shoot up Burglary for the bennies and the zero-mana oh-shit teleport, and you're pretty much good to go. :)

Now that I write all that, it looks like almost the same build you just described. I suppose Staves+Dual+Necro+Emo is a solid core group that you can build whatever the hell you please around. :p

10. Stupid Beard

Stupid Beard Member

Haha, yeh it is similar. I've messed around with a few different necro builds now, and I think the core is Necro + Emo + Blood Magic. The other 4 skills don't really matter beyond one of them should probably have a teleport.

My dual wielding stave guy killed Dredmor earlier and it was the easiest kill yet. I got him down to a bit under 50% health with spells and used a stockpile of Hermetic Phylactery thingies to keep myself healthy. Then I just started messing around and teleported next to him and bashed his head in with my staves while hitting him with a few random things I hadn't used much. It was something like the 10th kill though so maybe I'm just getting too used to him.

11. I been trying to figure out a build that I can run down to a diggle statue with and get a blessing, then come back and clear all the floors. I been trying a lot mostly Killer Vegan stuff and Burglar just trying to find some way to get to the statue as quickly as possible, but nothing really works yet lol. If anyone is up for the challenge or thinks a particular build will work to get there and back safely, I think it would be cool to pull off, basically I clear all of floor 1 to get level ups and pick skills, attempt to clear level 2 and usually die, I cant seem to get the right mix of skills that make me comfortable going down stairs, I want the invisibility skill, but keep dying attempting to level up to it.

12. Stupid Beard

Stupid Beard Member

I've pondered doing something similar but not got around to trying yet. The invisibility skill's cooldown is longer than it's duration, so if you want to stay invisible you'll also need a bunch of potions or mushrooms. Also, monsters can still see you if you're too close to them despite invisibility.

I'm not sure how viable it is, though. I think you'd probably need both invisibility and a reliable teleport to pull it off. Archaeology would probably help too for sending things to the museum for some free xp without having to kill stuff. I suspect a very large quantity of luck would also be needed. Sadly, there's no skill for that.

I'll be interested to hear if you manage to pull it off :)

13. Essence

Well, the invisibility not working on monsters is a bug and should get fixed in 1.0.10, so that'll help. :)

14. I felt like with Vegan, enough monsters would be friendly where I might get lucky with staircases and load in a room with animals and not other monsters some of the time, other times I could be invisible, etc.. But I just cant seem to get enough XP to get the skills I need.

I also tried that Build you posted Essence, how do you even survive a few battles, I am trying it on GR, I know that build needs a while to get going, maybe I just had bad luck, but I die to bats D:

15. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

That is a nice looking build Essence.. can you make a fun looking non-mod Pyromancer? My Pyro build has been getting a bit dull lately ^^

16. FaxCelestis

Try Promethean/Astrology/Blood Magic/Alchemy/Tinkering/Archery/[Ley Lines or Burglary].

17. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Excuse me if I am just a little bit hesitant to use Alchemy, Tinkering and Archery in the same build :D

18. FaxCelestis

I've done it, it's not terrible if you only use tinkering for trap disarming, bolt crafting, and crossbow crafting, and stick to healing/mana/purity potions from alchemy.

19. Stupid Beard

Stupid Beard Member

I am currently trying Promethean + Emo + Necro + Math + Blood Magic + Archeology + Tinkering for a permadeath run. I am mainly playing it as a Promethean build, but I took Necro and Emo as just in case things.

I stuck it on easy since I haven't played on permadeath for ages, and it didn't go well last time. Kinda wishing I'd stuck with DM now though. Easy is really easy. Crashes are particularly annoying, though.

20. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

After playing my first serious Promethean build I've determined that any build with Promethean in it is incredibly boring and that it needs a nerf. :p