Monster starting stats

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Alistaire, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I'm working on a formula for dredmod.com to calculate a monster's stats using numFig, numRog and numWiz. But it seems that every monster on dredmorpedia has a :melee_power:Melee Power value very different from what FaxCelestis' formula would suggest.

Example 1: Blobby has numFig of 2, which means 2 levels + 2 warrior levels of :melee_power:Melee Power. Its bonus stats don't change its Melee Power, so it should have :melee_power:1.33, rounded down to :melee_power:1. But, according to dredmorpedia, it has :melee_power:-1...

Example 2: Diggle has numFig of 3, which means 3 levels + 3 warrior levels of :life:Health. Its bonus stats remove 2 Health, so it should have :life:12 minus 2, is :life:10. But, according to dredmorpedia, it has :life:15...

With the health stat it's obvious that every monster has a base health of 5. But Melee Power makes no sense (to me). What's up with these stats?

2. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I know this is about a week old, but in case you haven't figured it out yet:
    I've always referred to this page for stat calculations, since it seems to be pretty accurate - http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Stats
    Melee Power = (Burliness - 5) / 3. And, of course, you get 2 burliness from a warrior level and 1 burliness from rogue/wizard levels.

I made a few quick test characters to confirm it, in case my memory and/or the wiki was outdated:
    • First character had 7 warrior levels, 14 burliness, and 3 melee power. 14 - 5 = 9, and 9 / 3 = 3.
    • Second character had 7 wizard levels, 7 burliness, and 0 melee power. 7 - 5 = 2, and 2 / 3 = ~0.67. In this case, it seems to have rounded down, regardless of being closer to 1 than 0.
    • Third character had 6 wizard levels and 1 warrior level, 8 burliness, and 1 melee power. 8 - 5 = 3, and 3 / 3 = 1.
    So basically, the 0.33 melee power per level only applies for every level past 5, and it seems to always round down. (at least visually?)

3. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I might've figured it out by now - the following stats should be a 0 0 0 monster's base stats:

:life: 5 :mana: 5 :melee_power: -2.33 :sneakiness: -20 :trap_sense: 1 :sight: 1

I don't know whether :mana_regen: and :life_regen: have a base value, though. And I don't know if monsters are effected by it.
    According to dredmorwiki.com there is a minimal stat value on several stats, but I'm not sure how to put such functionality in a wikicode template without adding double the calculations. It's also not clear whether stats without a mention of their minimal stat value DON'T have a minimal stat value.

Regardless, thanks for your post!