Monster spawn glitch?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Misery, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Misery

Misery Member

Ok, so, the one big problem I'm having with the game right now.... the way monster spawns currently work.

I quickly found that the default difficulty is simply too easy for me, so, trying to get going on "Going Rogue", which, based on enemy damage levels and all that fun stuff, is more along the lines of what I want in terms of challenge.

The problem: to succeed... at least very early on... it seems that, regardless of skillset choices, I often HAVE to do the "spacebar-mashing" form of healing. You know, stand in a sealed room, do that until healed. There simply are not enough items/options available to use super-early in the game for me to have any other option (even in the default difficulty I still did that a bit at the beginning).

And.... this is impossible if MONSTERS SPAWN ON THE TILE NEXT TO ME. Seriously.... this is happening OFTEN. If not on the tile directly next to me (which is what happens most often) they'll spawn in the same room, in my vision range. These arent rooms I'm standing in where there's like, corridors branching off or spots I cant see, which would make sense for them to spawn in... no, these are tiny, totally sealed rooms where I can see every single tile. I know monsters regenerate as time goes on... that's fine. I'm used to that and think it's a good mechanic for this sort of game. But IN THE SAME ROOM where I can see them? Er.... no. Not such a good idea.

If there's some tactic I'm missing to deal with stuff like this, or whatever, I'd sure love to hear it. Right now, the Going Rogue difficulty seems unplayable due to this, and the previous difficulty is simply too easy for me. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Incendax

Incendax Member

I play exclusively Going Rogue now and I think you are making tactical errors.

1st: Use the traps at your disposal. I cannot emphasize this enough. Any gargoyle/bolt trap you see is your best damn friend in the world. Do the Happy Dance(tm).
    2nd: Don't lock yourself into small rooms and spam the space bar. It only encourages monsters to bunch up behind doors. Keep moving and keep regions of the map clear.
    3rd: Prioritize killing flying enemies. Enemies that do not fly can be killed with a handy gargoyle/bolt trap and the Happy Dance(tm).
    4th: Learn the Happy Dance(tm) and live by it.
    5th: ???
    6th: Win money, women, and the admiration of your peers.