Modding help for someone using Steam.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Felicia D, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Felicia D

Felicia D Member

I don't actually have the files for the game on my computer and have yet to figure out how to make this happen, but I'd like to make myself a mod. What I need to know, then, are how the game identifies stats for skill-buffing. Is there a place where I can see what all I need to put in to make a skill increase any given attribute?

2. Austupaio

Austupaio Member

The default DB's are well annotated, read through them.

3. Felicia D

Felicia D Member

What I am saying is that they are not on my computer, because the game, having it as I do on Steam, does not reside on my computer. I've never been able to find any of the files for the game no matter where I looked.

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

it is on your computer
    check C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor

5. Felicia D

Felicia D Member

No such folder.

6. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Uh. I have it through steam too. You'll need to find the directory that steam is in, and in it should be the /steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/ path. The game is in there.

7. Ruigi

okay... are you on a Mac or a PC?

Essence likes this.
  8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Good eye for the basics, Ruigi. "Is your computer plugged in?" :p

9. Felicia D

Felicia D Member

All right. I realize that this is sounding strange, but I am telling you right now that I can't find any such folder in my computer. I search, it's not there. Now there WAS a problem a while back, which I'm realizing may be the culprit here, of some Malware that went in and made most of my folders hidden. I thought I'd taken care of it all but it seems there are a few problems here and there with this, and the upshot is that even when I can find the Steam folder I can't edit any of its settings to show any folders that may be hidden inside. This is an obnoxious situation to be in.

It is, however, currently outside my power and not the scope of what I want to deal with. What I want to deal with is some modding, which relies on files that I can see. What I'm asking for is someone who can help answer a simple question, the question outlined above. What I'm not asking for is mockery. I realize that I'm coming across like an idiot right now but the fact of the matter is that this isn't helping me at all.

And to answer your question, Ruigi, PC.

10. Ruigi

If the malware problem has crippled your pc to the point where you cannot use your file browser, you might want to consider reinstalling windows. If your pc was built by a vendor, they usually make a small factory reset partition that you can access on boot.

Keep in mind that while this might fix your problem. it will also obliterate your data, so save all important files to a thumb drive.

Modding itself is very simple and can be done with notepad. simply find the /game folder and edit the .xml of the aspect of the game that you want to mod. It's so easy that you can even look at parts of the game that you know well and get a rudimentary understanding of how the modding system works.

any other questions you have we'll be happy to answer, but you can't get started at modding until you can find where the game files are located on your computer.

Also... if you do reinstall windows... make sure you've installed the most recent service packs from windows update before you start surfing the net.

11. Essence

use the Search function to find spellDB.xml. Find that directory. All of the other files you need will be there.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If the problem is hidden files/folders, you can go in My Computer (the file explorer), if you're on windows 7 click organize, then folder and search options. In the view tab, click "show hidden files".

That should take care of it.

13. Felicia D

Felicia D Member

Taken care of. Thanks.

14. Alcatraz471

Alcatraz471 Member

How do u install mods? i downloaded a whole bunch of them and they dont work

15. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Put them in documents/gaslamp games/dungeons of dredmor/mods. Create a folder name for them and extract the zips in there. Double check to make sure there's only one folder with the mod name and inside it is immediately folders called "mod" or "items" etc.

16. Alcatraz471

Alcatraz471 Member

i try that thx

17. Alcatraz471

Alcatraz471 Member

so i go into the folder common than dungeons of dredmor but there is no mod folder s i made my own and did what you said (extracted the files into a folder ) but they dont show up in the launcher

i also have realm of the diggle gods if that makes any differance

Plz help

18. Ruigi

The directory for mod installation (windows 7) is
    C:\Users\Username\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods

if the mods directory does not exist you must create it.

19. Alcatraz471

Alcatraz471 Member

yeah i got it working can u recomen any good mods i already have FAXPAX interior dredmorating and esential skills 1 and 2

20. Essence

Personally, I've had a lot of fun with Runecaster, Practical Geology, SwiftStriker, Clockwork Knights, Encyclopedia Magicka, and Megacrafts.