Message Question

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Sunhawk, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

A number of times I've seen the message "You hear the sounds of cash registers". What does this signify?

There was another message I saw once, but I forgot what it was - what other messages are there and what do they mean?

2. Bunnychaser

Bunnychaser Member

There was one about 'You feel like you forgot something.' When I entered level 5 once.

3. Embolus

Embolus Member

There's quite a few of those messages, which if you are so inclined could dig through the XMLs to see what they are. AFAIK they have no significance other than ambience.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

They are tributes to/quotes from Rogue and/or Hack/Nethack. "Sound of a cash register" usually meant that there was some kind of a shop on that level. I never did figure out what the other message meant (if anything). There are lots of easter eggs like that (like when you quit the game, you get a message that sounds like the one from when you quit Alpha Centauri).

5. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

Bunnychaser, that was the one.

Gotcha - wonder if it was some kind of restock message or the like. Speaking of which... any idea if there'll be restocking on Brax or vending machines? It'd be nice if the inventory in any given shop changed periodically...

6. Embolus

Embolus Member

I would hate to be eyeing that awesome staff in Brax's store, finally get enough Zorkmids, come back and discover he's changed his inventory.

7. VladdyLulz

VladdyLulz Member

'You feel like you forgot something.' sounds like maybe a quest you didn't complete on a previous floor. Or, maybe a shrine you didn't find? That's what I am guessing, at least.

8. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

What if it was just empty pedestals that restocked then?

9. Embolus

Embolus Member

Then I would pull all the items I don't want off their pedestals, wait for refresh, rinse and repeat until I'm fully decked out in top level gear.

10. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

Assuming you can afford it, of course. And if the refresh occured infrequently enough, it wouldn't be worth exploiting.

11. Embolus

Embolus Member

Well, you could always afford it after turning monsters into gold for a while. And if it occurs too infrequently, well, might as well go down to the next level and find a new shop; and the mechanic would be just there adding nothing to gameplay.

Really, even if a refresh realistically happens once while clearing a level, I'd still strip it down to let it refresh. It would still mean double the number of shops.

12. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

How many levels are there, anyway? Nine?

13. zshikara

zshikara Member

10 levels in total so far.