Melee weaponry and its ideal applications

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Tycho, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ScytheKnight

ScytheKnight Member

because between armor and a shield it's insanely easy to get up via gear.

2. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Member

Swords - Counterattacking
    Staves - Blocking and Mpower
    Axes - Crits
    Maces - Knockback and some minor crit boost
    Unarmed - Dual Shielding, blocking and countering.

For melee and magic, Staves is the best option for nuking and Axes if you get into the melee more often. The rest seem more for the squishy mage type.

3. mining

mining Member

I had over 100 block with Celestial Circle and two shields. It was pretty lulzy.

4. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

I'm in agreement with J-factor, I wish combat was handled in this way in the game.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Done in the next patch. We'll... have to see how it goes, I think?

Dynamod, Psiweapon, Wi§p and 2 others like this.
  6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hot SHIT!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

I'm literally getting wet in the eyes from the overwhelming coolness. This is exactly what makes hanging out here so worthwhile. :)

Wi§p likes this.
  7. Heehee, now everyone re-tools their mods because negating enemy crit chance is no longer needed (and probably in fact OP when combined with 100 dodge or block)

8. Essence

Yep! I'm already trying to think of something else really neat to do with Kiaido. :)

9. Knockback always makes you feel awesome :) There's a good reason knockback has leaked out of wuxia into pretty much every mainstream action movie in hollywood!

Essence likes this.
  10. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

zawesome!

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

For the record: it looks like this change doesn't affect gameplay much at all on the lower levels. It does seem to change things around a bit on higher levels, but we'll have to see if this is an improvement or not.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I reckon it'll be better. It might still be necessary to change the hit-result calculation procedures, but right now it's better than it was, because it means the great "counter-crit-crit" combo won't be happening as often.

Granted, that also means blocking got slightly nerfed (whether that's good or not is yet to be seen) and dodging got buffed (which isn't exactly the best thing here, but I guess it'll be fine if EDR does its job), but the balance is still slightly better than it was before, when critical triumphed over everything and counter was second to that, with everything else being less important.

13. blob

blob Member

Wait, how is block nerfed since it can now reduces crits damage by half ?

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Because, unless I am now mistaken, it halves damage if it works now and before it reduced it to 25% instead of 50%. And the fact that it can affect critical hits now means that it's only a slight nerf.
    I'm talking about it in general, critical hits outside of the image.

15. blob

blob Member

Yeah, I think it stills makes it more usefull when its really needed. A bit more damage all the time but less in those situations where you are really threaten. Good deal to me. : )

16. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

The block formula divides mundane ( :dmg_crushing:/:dmg_slashing:/:dmg_blast: ) damage by 4 and exotic damage by 2.

(I never intended changing the blocking formula - 'half damage' was just a lazy way to say it)

17. Essence

Here's hoping they didn't change that. :)

18. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Criticals dont seem to multiply the exotic damage, do they?

19. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Criticals just double your :melee_power:.

20. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Which just adds to your primary damage type ( :dmg_crushing:/:dmg_slashing:/:dmg_blast: ), correct? (I've only actually used :dmg_crushing: weapons)