Melee weak due to overpowerd wizard builds

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bread Maker, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yep, it's even called in the XML of the 'spell' description:

<spell name="Thibault's Trompement" downtime="9" type="template" templateID="03" anchored="1" icon="skills/warrior/swordplay2_32.png" attack="1">

Only weapon-attack abilities have that bolded tag in them, so I'm pretty sure that's the tag that says "add melee power (and possibly weapon damage?) to this attack."

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Actually that tag just tells it to attack in front of you while activating it. I'm not sure if just that makes it scale the mundane damage to melee power as a few other things seem to scale to it.

3. Godwin

Godwin Member

thibault.png

You can even score crits with Thibaults Trompement.
    (He immediately stepped right next to me, but he stood where the word crit appears when I activated the skill)
    (also, so far melee is not weak at all! It's even easier to clean zoos)

EDIT: It IS pretty weird that monsters can counter from distance and you getting damage from that... although... if you visualize it as you lunging your arm way ahead of you I suppose they could indeed bite your hand or w/e :p

4. Derakon

Derakon Member

Just to be certain, which version are you playing?

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Quite obviously 1.6

6. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yes 1.06.

7. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

While not necessarily "magical", I think summons might need a nerf. The fungal summon at least kills pretty much anything by itself in the first level.

Tangentially related to this: You should be able to displace summons by mouse-moving, and not limit it to the keys.

8. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Summons scale badly right now.... which is to say they don't scale at all. This means they're extremely powerful early game, but nigh-useless lategame. I believe there are plans to correct this, but you'd have to ask Dave or Nick to be sure.

9. Fax Celestis

Fax Celestis Member

They're good for pulling aggro in later levels. I used my promethean dragon as a sacrificial lamb a lot on the lower floors to keep djinns and octos off me.

10. Jatopian

Jatopian Member

All this talk about getting rid of regen and so forth scares me a little. Not only do I love playing mages, I love that Dredmor isn't a game where you're expected to expect unfair deaths right and left and being completely at the mercy of some pseudorandom number generator in the bowels of the computer. Don't get me wrong, I liked Nethack too... but I'm enjoying the more modern sensibilities in Dredmor's design.

11. Luke00016

Luke00016 Member

Personally I've had more trouble playing mage characters than melee. I've never went for the "1mp/turn" + "1mp shove" route, so there's that, but the only time I've actually beaten the game was with a melee heavy character. I ran a clockwork character /w two chainaxes. I made the first one on the third floor and had my 2nd on the 4th, from then on I just pretended to be Bruce Campbell the rest of the game.

With mages I've always had to be incredibly careful because they're so squishy. IDK, maybe I'm just lazy and get myself killed.

12. GrossorMD

GrossorMD Member

I think that fungal arts might be the most broken skill in the whole game, and works well with any character.

13. Wootah

Wootah Member

So I have read through the thread. New to the game but I am having the HARDEST time getting far with a wizard classes that don't have sufficient trap disarming skills. Basically every build has to have trap detection skills. There aren't enough solutions for dealing with traps outside rogue trees.

My pure Wizard attempts and Wizard/Warrior attempts end up taking TOO much damage from traps as well as the lost experience for avoiding them.

And I hate comparing this to other games, but the other games have had a 'wait feature' that let you wait till you regenerated to full or a hostile entered the area... pretty much what the digest button does for food. The only difference was that it worked with mana and there food/mana didn't replenish health. Since there are more mana regen abilities out there than there are health regen abilities, the extra slots used to pick up random food is kind of a burden. What if Blood magic had you paying some of the casting cost out of your health?

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

The wait feature in most other roguelikes is countered by the need to eat food in order to not starve. In DoD, there is no starving -- but waiting that much WILL cause a horde of other monsters to pop up. It's not a good idea.

15. Wootah

Wootah Member

I would rather Feed my character and have him regen naturally than have 20 types of food in my inventory. Grated cheese is great and all, but at 3 hearts to heal it is only good out of combat anyway. why couldn't I just mix food (like put the cheese on a sandwhich) to up the amount it heals? Obviously a single 'food' that could be combined is kind of lame, but as someone pointed out, you only need a couple types of booze and distilling for the slots.

16. Feynt

Feynt Member

In a way I am in favour of removing regeneration. In my current game I've got tons of booze, but seldom have to drink it. It helps though that I'm not really a magical person, I think maybe three skills actually consume mana. But even for health, it either takes too long to regenerate when you need it (mid battle) or I can never find a proper time to eat because I regened out of combat too fast. There seems to be too many ways to regain health and mana though which I never need to use.

I don't think the innate ability to regen however is the problem. I think perhaps it's regen bonuses from items that is. Maybe if there wasn't a way to get regen from items besides consumables this would improve the situation?

17. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I agree that traps can be a pain if you use WASD movement and only have 1 :trap_sense:. Picking Burglary or Archaeology definitely helps - I don't have too much trouble with 2 :trap_sense:.

Alternatively you can completely avoid traps by using mouse movement, although that's a bit unsporting.

The game is all about mixing/matching skills, so I wouldn't bother trying to go 'pure' if traps are causing you grief. Just swap out an extra skill.

You can make Cheesy Omelets with 2 eggs and some grated cheese. They're also changing the Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe to take grated cheese in the next release.