Mathemagics trivializes the game.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by jhffmn, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the mathemagics skillset or a problem with combat being shallow, but since nothing in the game poses a ranged threat the blink in mathemagics + strong single target damage dots removes all challenge in the game.

There is a lot of talk about fireball being overpowered, and I'd certainly pick it up to deal with zoos, mathemagics removes all challenge from the game.

Once you get to dungeon level 3-4 and get the blink in mathemagics, itemize for mana gen, and blood magic there is zero reason not to ascend from that point.

2. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I just want to clarify my original post, while mathemagics does not offer the offensive power of promethean magic, the skill set removes risk from play and provides enough damage that nothing else is needed.

Outside of zoos I think I prefer the golden ratio to fireball anyway. It's just such a no brainer skill set, more so than promethean magic imo.

I don't think blink should be in this game.

3. Incendax

Incendax Member

In some sense you are absolutely correct. There are plenty of melee monsters you can absolutely dominate with Mathemagic. In another sense, I got my world rocked by a room full of fireball throwing eels just the other night. I suppose ranged attacks should be a little more prevalent.

4. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

You can just dive from DL5 to DL10 and there is nothing that does significant ranged damage on DL10.

Just hold on to a zodiak wand.

5. Incendax

Incendax Member

So what you are saying is that the developers need to put a monster that does significant ranged damage on DL10?

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... well, that's a good idea anyway. :D I was thinking DL9, though. DL10 already has a theme, of a sort, which is just sheer, flat-out nastiness. :D

In a more general sense, here's the thing. There are a lot of arguments online right now about "skill tree X is overpowered/skill tree X is underpowered" - and it's usually the same skill tree. For instance, about 50% of the world thinks that Vampirism makes the game significantly harder, and the other 50% thinks that Vampirism makes the game easily beatable. In general, though, if you *are* a good player, you will be able to ascend with any skill set. When you die, as with any roguelike, it's usually because you made a preventable mistake.

For the next little while, we want to remove things that are obviously broken; then we'll look into fiddling with the balance things.

Exile likes this.
  7. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Not necessarily, I'm just pointing out a perceived problem with game balance. There are a number of ways to address this.

1) The developers could lower the damage of golden ratio giving less offensive power to the skill tree with xeuclid's translation.

2) Alter xeuclid's translation. This skill could use a cost increase. On my last ascension it was costing me 3 mana. It should probably have a base cost of 40 or so.

3) Alter the enemy composition to provide consistent ranged threats on the later dungeon levels. Why are there no bow/arrow enemies that drop arrows anyway? Ranged enemies that do physical damage mitigated by armor would help balance melee/casters.

I'd probably do all three in addition to buffing some of the other trees. Golemancy and Fleshsmithing could use love.

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(3) we can address with new sprites. *makes notes*

Exile likes this.
  9. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I'd say the problems with Mathemagic are:

1. Curse of the Golden Ratio one-hits almost everything
    2. Xeuclid's Translation lets you dance around groups of monsters too easily

Super powerful ranged monsters would be too tough on other builds (especially melee builds). I'd rather they:

1. Decrease killing power of the Golden Ratio
    2. Increase debuff of the Diminutive Curse (barely notice it right now)
    3. Increase mana cost of Translation or something else that keeps its utility as an escape method but stops you from spamming it when surrounded. Maybe a "post translation queezyness" debuff that lowers magic power....

10. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

What if the 'super powerful ranged monsters' added did mundane damage that could be mitigated by armor absorption? Archer mobs!

11. jareddm

jareddm Member

@J-factor

I think they just mean enemies that deal ranged physical damage. A good set of armor will at least let a melee build get into range.

12. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

I have to say that a single target spell one hitting things is understandable if you can only spam it for a very short time. I like the idea of blood magic being more useful, considering that with the fire magic you dont always get the mana back

I'm just looking forward to finding out if elemental magics are going to get more love~

13. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Nicholas Vampirism is an interesting skill because it is very hard to deal with at first, suddenly becomes incredibly powerful once you have some Magic Power and Armor Absorption, and then becomes weak again once enemies are soundly beating your Armor Absorption.

There is not really any middle ground to the skill. While a mix of monsters might let you ebb and flow, the general state of a vampire is either starving or invincible.

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

The only thing that needs to be changed with Mathemagics is increasing the mana cost of teleportation. It's so cheap that you can use it indefinitely.

15. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

I agree with Patch. Dont mess with a skill thats not breaking the game. and trust me, its really not compared to a few others...

16. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

The DPS skills are strong, but they're also ONLY single target, which makes them expensive. Especially compared to Promethean where one spell can handle 4-5+ mobs.

17. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Thinking about it more I'd agree that the Curse of the Golden Ratio is balanced in the overall scheme of things, especially considering in my last run a single Rune of Exploding could one-hit multiple enemies.

I guess my opinion has been swayed a bit by trying Golemancy + Mathemagic. At any sign of trouble you can teleport into a corner, throw up two walls and start sniping away with the curse.

18. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

deleted

19. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

deleted

20. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

Adding ranged monsters isn't a bad idea unless you find a dozon of them spawned in the zoos. Same thing is, the Mask monsters spaming the revival skill is not unbeatable unless they are spawned a dozon in the zoos.