Master Armoursmith

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Top8Gamer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

This is a warrior class skill set that gives you a piece of AMAZING gear with each level with a little surprise at the last level because your AMAZING. My first mod but it's a pretty simple one that I haven't seen done yet so hope it can add something to your game. This is a complete release and I have a couple other more advanced ideas I plan on working on next when I get the time. No custom images in this mod. No need for expansions. You can get it on Steam workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=117369515

Tier 1: Boots
    boots.png
    Tier 2: Gloves
    gloves.png
    Tier 3: Belt
    belt.png
    Tier 4: Helmet
    helmet.png
    Tier 5: Pants
    pants.png
    Tier 6: Chestpiece
    chest.png
    Tier 7: Ring
    ring.png
    The ring is different then the other pieces. It is created by crafting together all the other pieces. So if you max out this tier the end result is just the ring. It is also an artifact so the stats on it will differ slightly from game to game. This one has +2 Trap Sight Radius.

-Update- Added a small chance on hit of spawning a Dread Collector when wearing the ring so watch your backs out there.

Attached Files:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

So what are the skills in it..

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

It gives you a piece of gear at each tier. Not sure how to go about posting the gear I'll figure something out give me a bit.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I was going to write a post here about how overpowered this all was...because it IS...but somehow I think you kinda knew and intended it to be that way, so all I'll say is that you're probably not going to get a lot of people from the forums supporting this mod in it's current state. The Workshop subscribers may be an entirely different matter, though. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Holy mackerel, those items are OP as hipster offense!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Well how they are OP would be helpful. I did intend for them to be good. When a skill is only giving you items they kind of have to be better then what your going to find on the ground or the player feels like they wasted a skillpoint. Just looking at the stats you may think it's OP but it's all your getting from the skill aside from normal warrior class gains. It also replaces your other gear so it's not just straight these stats your getting but the difference between these stats and whatever other piece of gear you were going to wear. The ring at the end is great but it's the combination of all your skill points spent in the skill. It's not just that skill point giving you the item but 6 skill points for that bonus.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The problem is that by the time you get the level seven item, you can throw away the rest and only have the massively overpowered ring. Then you can easily replace the rest with better items. So in the end it is no waste at all. That ring is massively overpowered in any case.

There may be hope though. You can add a debuff to the ring. Give it a 1/100 chance on hit to spawn hostile demons or something. And if that is not enough, give it a 1/100 chance to also proc a massive LoS damage that is trivial. The idea is that you only need to do 1 health of damage to Brax to turn a level into a nightmare. If the ring has the chance to do that it suddenly becomes more balanced even with the OP stats.

Your call. But I can pull more crazy ideas from my ass any time if you want more insanity. :)

8. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

I did originally want to have it have downsides like that in theme with it referencing the One Ring I just didn't know how to go about doing it so in the end I just scrapped that part. Maybe I'll try to look into it more.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Others here can tell you ways to do interesting things like you may intend. But above all else, I suggest reading through other mods and the base game XML. Anything you can imagine has probably been done already. And you can generally copy it directly into your mod without problems if you copy everything related to it.

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

OK, here's the thing -- you've set yourself a nigh-impossible task. You have to balance an item so that when you get your item, it's not going to turn whatever floor you're on into a pure cakewalk. For DL1, having 2 points of armor is literally the difference between a mage dying horribly to the first thing they come across and cakewalking their way to having a Wyrmling that can kill the entire floor for them. So a six-skill mage who throws away their seventh skill by taking this has basically eliminated the first-floor hump that all mages fear.

Then you compound that with the fact that it's totally possible for someone who focuses their levelups to nab the Ring of Infinite Power by the end of DL2, and you're seeing the problem writ large: 16 points of armor and 30 points of block is DL10 gear, not DL 2 gear, and having that ring at DL2 will do for DLs 3-8 what the boots did for DL1.

On the other hand, you also have to balance your skill with the understanding that every single piece of gear except that capstone ring will eventually be replaced by better gear from later in the dungeon, so that capstone ring has to carry inside of it the value of an entire 7-level skillset, which means you have to make it the equivalent of having the entirety of Master of Arms or Shield Bearer, or it's not worth investing in.

Unfortunately, those two problems are incompatible -- you really can't balance for both situations at the same time, which may sadly mean that this idea is kind of doomed from the start.

I'm sorry.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Top8Gamer

Top8Gamer Member

Well maybe I'm just looking at this from a different angle. You seem to be looking at it coming from building out specific builds. I have never once made a build. I have always randomed all my skills. That really just seemed like the point of the game. It's a rogue like randomly generated game. So it was never a case of this tree has to be better then X other tree or they'll choose that one so I don't mind if I have to nerf the ring down some to be less powerful. If people are choosing there skills then I don't think they should be worried about balance at all. It's so easy to create OP builds if you pick and choose your skills. I think the people that would worry about balance would be from a randoming perspective, and then I would say something is OP if by itself no matter whatever other 6 skills you randomed this 1 can win on its own, and maybe this is walking that line a little to much.

I did add a chance to spawn a Dread Collector while wearing the ring and if it doesn't make it more balanced at least I think it adds more flavor to it. I think I will have to tone down the block and armour on it slightly. I think the other stats are fine as is really. Maybe I'll remove some of the armour and increase the artifact level on it so that it gets some more random variable stats.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I've got an awesome idea for a skilltree reading this discussion. Thanks.

OmniaNigrum likes this.