Maps and annotation

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Zombie Dachshund, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi, all. New player here, and I'm wondering how y'all keep track of dungeon features. If you want to remember the location of, say, a lutefisk shrine, what do you do? I've kept a file with a note like "level 2: lutefisk shrine NE corner", but the levels are so big that that's not particularly accurate. Any recommendations for a better way to do things?

2. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

AFAIK, lutefisk shrines are marked on the map in 1.06. So are Inconsequentia shrines, and Krong anvils.

Before that update, I just remembered what rooms that held those things generally looked like. They all look similar from floor to floor, so you can usually find them pretty easily. Minor shrines, chests and switches though, I just wander until I find them. xD

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

^He means 1.05 (current version) but yeah. And more of them are planned in the future (not sure about the next patch) and didn't make it in time.

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

That I did. Sorry if I confused!

5. Yes, I can see the bigger things (like anvils) on the minimap. But they're small and blobby-looking and not all that easy to identify (this is why I always used ASCII for roguelikes.) And smaller things, like shrines, don't seem to appear at all (this is in 1.0.5). This isn't a game-breaking issue or anything, but given the way I play-- for an hour or two, then not again for a couple of days-- it's hard to remember where I saw that Mellow Shrine that Inconsequentia just directed me to.

It'd be neat to have a list of coordinates available (e.g., click on something and it says "You are at 118, 120" or whatever). Or a way to add notes to the minimap.

6. lokiju

lokiju Member

Not trying to offend you, but you do know that you can re-size the mini-map, right? Took me a couple games to figure that out, lol!

7. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Rescaling the map doesn't really help much, because the icons used are still blobby and hard to identify; all scaling does is make them a little larger. I would've preferred just having some basic squares color-coded for our convenience.

The map could be made even more useful, by making its window a separate instance that overrides the main game window -- at the moment, if you click anywhere on the map (except for the size buttons), the game interprets that as clicking in the main screen. If the map were turned into its own bit of interface, then we could have options like customizing which items are displayed, or letting the player make their own annotations, or even clicking on the map to move.

(It's a little frustrating to realize that your destination is on the SE corner of level 5, and you're in the NW corner. Guarantees either spending a LOT of time walking in short bursts, or just saying "screw it" and skipping whatever called for the trip.)

I would still like to see the teleporters marked on the map, with an option to show lines linking them. Perhaps make this some sort of skill?

8. No offense taken! But as LonePaladin said, it's still hard to read, even when embiggened.

9. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

All this discussion about the mini-map has given me an idea for a new skill set, Rogue Cartography. Take a look at it (and vote Yes) here.

10. jvarnes

jvarnes Member

I feel your pain. It should definitely get better with subsequent patches (if the latest patch was any indication).

One thing that works for me personally was to DECREASE the game's resolution and tick the fullscreen and smoothing options. This made everything larger for me including the map. While this doesn't make the icons less "blobby" it does make them large enough (for me anyway) to quickly ID them when I check the minimap. I find that I need this to set up my "hoarding" rooms full of assorted ingots, gems, etc. haha
    Help! I'm a DoD Hoarder ;)

Maybe do something similar to what you currently do, but use a "room coordinate" system like: Lvl 2 Mellow Shrine = Start in Northeast Krong anvil room, down 3 rooms, left 2 rooms. At least until small shrines, uber chests and the like are included.