Mad scientist

Discussion in 'Modding' started by codebracker, Sep 16, 2012.

1. codebracker

codebracker Member

Mad science - You will show them, you will show them all! (free lab coat included)

0. Gadgeteer Genius - You are an oficial Pseudoantidisestablishmentarian, and know how to pronounce it. (you're smart but a little on the weak side)

1. Thinkerer - Overclocking sometimes has explosive and/or usefull results. (still working on it)

2. ???inator - You bought this device at an ebay auction, but have no idea what it does. Only one way to find out. (random effect, 7 different ones)

3. Minion master - Everyone knows even a genious can't do everything himself." (recepy for robot)

4.Incredulously intricate dethtrap - An insidiously complex trap that causes death. (causes strong damage after 5 turns)

5. Master plan - I have though out every possible outcome, that is unless some meddling kid interferes with it. (buff that is boosted over time, but debuffs if you get hit) (stage-power still need to be balanced)

6. Doom's daze device - This devise channels probability, and causes improbable disasters to become a certanity. (causes a huge AoE, 20% to go wrong)

7. Omnidisciplinary Scientist - Do you know how many degrees I have?! (boosts thinker, alchemy and wandcraft, also spell - chain reaction, that travels like a wave across monsters, switched to a TAG virus
    7. TAG virus - Transferrable Agression Gene - a virus that doesn't spread but transfere (working on it)

Current version: 0.8

Attached Files:

SkyMuffin, Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  2. codebracker

codebracker Member

Completion
    Coding 100%
    Gifs 90% still making a robot diggle, but untill than a recollor
    Debuging 60% (i hope) nope! overclock, master plan, and TAG still in progress
    Testing 0%

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Take a look at what triggers what, and fix it.

I can't provide you with any in-depth help because right now the whole skill goes to Albuquerque and I don't know what it was supposed to actually be doing (though I can wager a guess, but nothing more than that).

If anything, you have buffs that trigger themselves on hit and effects removing non-buffs as if they were buffs (what in the everlasting insanity is that supposed to be?), and while the first one can stay if you know what you are doing (which I can guess you do not), the second one is a "what the hell" kind of thing.

codebracker likes this.
  4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's a bit much to post a pile of xml and expect us be figure out what it's supposed to do just from reading it. You'd be better off explaining what you're trying to accomplish and we could give you feedback on how best you could accomplish that.

Essence likes this.
  5. codebracker

codebracker Member

I need help, my last spell every spell exept the inator ray has gone horribly HORRIBLY wrong.
    Code:
    <spell name="Summon minion" type="missile" icon="skills/minion_32.png" >
        <requirements mp="20"/>
        <effect type="summon" monsterType="Mecha diggle" />
        <description text="A robot is every mad scientists best friend." />
    </spell>
    theory: this is suposed tu summon a robot diggle
    reality: if I summon another, previous one dissapears, and somtimes with 0hp (tooltip says it's dead but waks and fights, thought with little effect - OKHO every time)

(Probbably turn this one into a recepy anyway.)

Code:
    <spell name="Deth trap" type="targetfloor" icon="skills/trap_32.png" wand="0"
          mine="1"
          mineradius="1"
            mineTimer="20"
          minePermanent="1"
          mineSpriteDrawOrder="0"
          mineSpritePNGSeries="sprites/sfx/mechanical_buff/mechanical_buff"
          mineSpritePNGFirst="0"
          mineSpritePNGNum="8"
          mineSpritePNGRate="100" >
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Deth blast" amount="5" />
        <requirements mp="30" savvyBonus="0.15" mincost="20"/>
        <description text="This trap is so extremely complex, that it's effects, like a master swordman's, only become visible after a few moments." />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/mystic_missile/mystic_missile" frames="4" framerate="90"  centerEffect="0" sfx="rune_set" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="Deth blast" type="self" wand="1" >
        <effect type="damage" aethereal="10" slashing="5" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/mechanical_buff/mechanical_buff" frames="8" sfx="bampf" framerate="40"/>
        <description text="Out of nowhere." />
    </spell>
    Theory: puts a trap, that damages anyone who stepps on it after 5 turns
    Reality: trap works, but spell doesn't do any damage

Code:
    <spell name="Master plan" type="self" icon="skills/plan_32.png" downtime="50"  >
        <effect type="trigger" spell="stage 1" />
        <description text="This plan is perfect, what could possibly go wrong?" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="stage 1" type="self" icon="skills/plan_32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="10" brittle="1" allowstacking="0" stacksize="1" self="1" icon="skills/plan_64.png" smallicon="skills/plan_32.png" bad="0" >
            <secondarybuff id="12" amount="10"/>
        </buff>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="stage 2" amount="10" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="stage 2" type="self" icon="skills/plan_32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" brittle="1" time="10" allowstacking="0" stacksize="1" self="1" icon="skills/plan_64.png" smallicon="skills/plan_32.png" bad="0" >
            <secondarybuff id="2" amount="2"/>
            <secondarybuff id="3" amount="2"/>
        </buff>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="stage 3" amount="10" />
    </spell>
    itd. to 5 ->
    </spell>
    <spell name="Final stage" type="self" icon="skills/plan_32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="15" allowstacking="0" stacksize="1" self="1" icon="skills/plan_64.png" smallicon="skills/plan_32.png" bad="0" >
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="3"/> <!-- Burliness -->
            <primarybuff id="1" amount="3"/>
            <primarybuff id="2" amount="3"/>
            <primarybuff id="3" amount="3"/>
            <primarybuff id="4" amount="3"/>
            <primarybuff id="5" amount="3"/>
            <secondarybuff id="13" amount="3"/>
            <secondarybuff id="14" amount="3"/>
        </buff>
        <description text="This plan is at it's finale, everything is comming together like a jig-saw puzzle." />
    </spell>
    Theory: A buff that when it runs out triggers the next and so on till the last one, but is brittle
    Reality: for some reason stage1 just reaplies itself on last turn instead of next stage

Code:
    <spell name="DDD" type="template" templateID="101" icon="skills/DDD_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" downtime="24"  >
        <effect type="damage" blasting="10" voltaic="15" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Rain cloud" percent="20" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/fulminaric_bolt/fulminaric_bolt" frames="5" sfx="flame" framerate="100" centerEffect="0"/>
        <description text="Borowed it from an old schoolmate, though it's a bit unstabile." />
        </spell>

Theory: a massive AoE that has a chance to hit you too and debuff you (hit-player is a part of the debuff)
    Reality: works, but the debuff aplies on 100% chance for some reason

Code:
    <spell name="Chain reaction" type="self" icon="skills/chain_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" downtime="8"  >
        <effect type="damage" voltaic="4" affectscaster="0" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="chain reaction1" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="chain reaction2" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="chain reaction3" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="chain reaction4" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/bladewallblockB/bladewallblockB" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="bampf" />
        <description text="An attack with unforseeable consequences." />
        </spell>
    <spell name="chain0" type="self" wand="1" >
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="chain reaction1"/>
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="chain reaction2"/>
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="chain reaction3"/>
        <effect type="removebuffbyname" name="chain reaction4"/>
        </spell>
    <spell name="chain reaction1" type="self" icon="skills/chain_32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="1" allowstacking="0" stacksize="1" self="1" icon="skills/chain_64.png" smallicon="skills/chain_32.png" bad="1" >
            <effect type="dot" spell="chain1" amount="1"/>
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="chain reaction1" />
        </buff>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="chain0" amount="3" />
        <description text="Do the wave!" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="chain1" type="template" templateID="231" icon="skills/chain_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" >
            <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/bladewallblockB/bladewallblockB" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="chain" />
        </spell>
    <spell name="chain reaction2" type="self" icon="skills/chain_32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="1" allowstacking="0" stacksize="1" self="1" icon="skills/chain_64.png" smallicon="skills/chain_32.png" bad="1" >
            <effect type="dot" spell="chain2" amount="1"/>
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="chain reaction3" />
        </buff>
    </spell>
    <spell name="chain2" type="template" templateID="232" icon="skills/chain_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" >
            <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/bladewallblockB/bladewallblockB" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="chain" />
        </spell>
    <spell name="chain reaction3" type="self" icon="skills/chain_32.png" >
            <effect type="dot" spell="chain3" amount="1"/>
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="chain reaction3" />
        </buff>
    </spell>
    <spell name="chain3" type="template" templateID="233" icon="skills/chain_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" >
        </spell>
    <spell name="chain reaction4" type="self" icon="skills/chain_32.png" >
            <effect type="dot" spell="chain4" amount="1"/>
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="chain reaction4" />
        </buff>
    </spell>
    <spell name="chain4" type="template" templateID="234" icon="skills/chain_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" >
        </spell>
    </spellDB>
    Theory: the monster who is hit, hits all adjacent exept the one who hit him, traveling like a wave.
    Reality: I have no idea what went wrong here, it just strikes around me a random amount of times (idk, might actually want to keep it like that)

I know mad science always turns out like that, but
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    PS: Is this better? (the everlasting insanity was just a failed aptempt at a failsafe anyway, kinda ironic)

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

So, from the very beginning:

I haven't tried it personally (I never made a spell that would allow you to summon multiple creatures), but this should work:

Code:
    <spell name="Summon minion" type="missile" icon="skills/minion_32.png" >
        <requirements mp="20"/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Summon minion trigger" />
        <description text="A robot is every mad scientists best friend." />
    </spell>

<spell name="Summon minion trigger" type="targetemptyfloor" >
        <effect type="summon" monsterType="Mecha diggle" amount="8"/>
    </spell>
    It should set the limit for the summon at 8 of them, though they will still disappear if you try to summon anything that is not a "Mecha diggle", and it will be harder to make it balanced because you can summon a lot of them pretty much at will.

There you go, it's a rather simple change:

Code:
    <spell name="Deth trap" type="targetfloor" icon="skills/trap_32.png" wand="0"
          mine="1"
          mineradius="1"
            mineTimer="20"
          minePermanent="1"
          mineSpriteDrawOrder="0"
          mineSpritePNGSeries="sprites/sfx/mechanical_buff/mechanical_buff"
          mineSpritePNGFirst="0"
          mineSpritePNGNum="8"
          mineSpritePNGRate="100" >
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Deth blast trigger"/>
        <requirements mp="30" savvyBonus="0.15" mincost="20"/>
        <description text="This trap is so extremely complex, that it's effects, like a master swordman's, only become visible after a few moments." />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/mystic_missile/mystic_missile" frames="4" framerate="90"  centerEffect="0" sfx="rune_set" />
    </spell>

<spell name="Deth blast trigger" type="targetmonster">
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Deth blast" amount="5"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Deth blast" type="targetfloor">
        <effect type="damage" aethereal="10" slashing="5" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/mechanical_buff/mechanical_buff" frames="8" sfx="bampf" framerate="40"/>
    </spell>
    Also, I might be mistaken but I think you want it to be "Death" and not "Deth". Either way, I recommend getting a spell-checker for your browser, using one is nothing to be ashamed of (yes, I do use them when writing in languages I don't use often, to avoid making mistakes).

Yeah, you might not have known about that little issue...

Create a copy of "plan32.png" file for every phase of the plan and make different phases use differently named icons. Right now DoD recognises buffs by their icon, so if you have a few buffs with the same icon supposed to trigger each other, you get craziness.

I think there was something about chance-based triggering being broken in certain triggers, so I propose this as the solution:

Code:
    <spell name="DDD" type="template" templateID="101" icon="skills/DDD_32.png" anchored="1" wand="1" downtime="24"  >
        <effect type="damage" blasting="10" voltaic="15" />
        <effect type="triggerfromlist"/>
        <option name="Rain cloud"/>
        <option name="DDD does nothing"/>
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/fulminaric_bolt/fulminaric_bolt" frames="5" sfx="flame" framerate="100" centerEffect="0"/>
        <description text="Borowed it from an old schoolmate, though it's a bit unstabile." />
        </spell>

<spell name="DDD does nothing" type="self">
        </spell>

Because "DDD does nothing" does nothing and would be triggered in 80% of cases, there would be a 20% chance for "Rain cloud" to trigger.

You might want to make another spell instead of that one. Because there is no way now to check for buffs on monsters, there are only 3 or 4 modders (and it's an optimistic guess, for all I know there might only be 2, or even 1 [though if that was the case, I would be pretty sad]) on this forum capable of making such a skill without and willing to go into this insanity (the "willing" part if very important here, because it would likely take a lot of code for that).

Yup, much better. And don't worry about the "everlasting insanity" bit, it was partially an attempt to be funny and partially me trying to find substitutes for curse words (and I think this one does count as a success in the latter).

7. codebracker

codebracker Member

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

[​IMG]

Question: does this all happen on the same turn, or does it 'step' outward once each turn? The first is cake, the second is gonna take some serious work. :)

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes Essence, I assumed you can do that.

On the same turn, with the "catch" being that it can only hit any enemy more than once (it's not that much of a challenge if you know how to do it, but not many modders had as much fun with triggers as some of them did and thus wouldn't know where to start).

But you can do the latter if you so desire.

10. codebracker

codebracker Member

That is corect, i was aptempting a spell that would be:
    1. second to useless in a 1 on 1 combat, but helpfull in zoos (and fishbarels)
    2. fun to watch it unfold
    Because i'm not shure how would a turn per turn wave actually be usefull anywhere.
    PS: does confuse effect make monsters attack other monsters, or do I have to utilise a charm for a TAG virus buff?
    PPS: can you tell me what my version actually does? I made this wabajack of a spell, and I have no idea. (obviously suposed to transmit a wave outwards, but would probably loop corners, until someone died).

11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

As far as I know, I've never saw a confused enemy hit another one. I think it's purpose is about stopping the charge of the enemy and let them chick around, doing no harm.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Your version breaks the game, in a funny way. You see, when you use dot triggers, you need to place them outside of the buff definition or the results will be weird; additionally, if you want the effect to spread, the effects should not trigger the next effect in line but rather a spell with 'type="adjacent"' which would trigger the next effect (the way it is now, only one creature gets all the effects).

Vitellozzo likes this.
  13. codebracker

codebracker Member

Meaning I get all the effects? Cool (I can has mistery spell!).
    PS: noticed an error, I did that all the time too
    Code:
    <effect type="triggerfromlist"> <-no "/" here
            <option name="Rain cloud"/>
            <option name="DDD blast"/>
        </effect> <-!

the xml checker was genericaly angry until I fixed that.

Kazeto likes this.
  14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That's possible, I did write it without taking a look at any files. And props for catching that one.

15. codebracker

codebracker Member

It's not about files, option names have to be inside the <effect tag

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

As I said in the post before, I wrote the post where there were these bits of code from the get-go, without taking a look at any DoD-related code and thus I made a mistake because I seldom use this effect in my code and thus don't always remember how to use it without consulting taking a look at the data files. So yes, it is about files.

17. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

By the way, are you going to make the mecha diggle sprite yourself?

18. codebracker

codebracker Member

Maybe, right now i just photoshopped lutefisk cubes, into box robots.
    I still have to do the whole diggle sprites, cause I don't know how to change shades

19. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

How about the basic undead body(zombie?) with a green diggle head? Digglestein lives!!!!

Essence likes this.
  20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Or an Unfriendly AI with a diggle head. Yes.